Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Non-blocking pipe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Non-blocking pipe Post 302285962 by Corona688 on Tuesday 10th of February 2009 02:43:52 AM
Old 02-10-2009
The && will cause the shell to wait before running the command after it, and should any of them fail, none of the ones after it will run. && is a conditional, it's not a background statement. Also, is there any particular reason that string of commands is all in one line? And what is 'echo exec' for, did you mean for that to be without the echo?

I don't think there's any point trying to open it as a FD in the shell if you're trying to save time, since the shell will wait for the reader to open the pipe anyway. Once it does, all three processes will get the same pipe, which I doubt is what you want. at which point all three processes will get copies of the same pipe, not queue up.

This sort of code, on the other hand, will wait for the pipe, launch a process, then immediately wait on the pipe again without waiting for the launched process to finish:
Code:
echo a > fifo &
echo b > fifo &
echo c > fifo &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blocking domains

Dear All , Kindly note I have sun solaries 7 . I want to block a domain who keep sending emails to my domain and users . thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamemi
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

School Blocking

I'm in highschool. They blocked my favorite site. How do I disable websense without getting caught on that particular webpage? Is it even possible? *twitch* I would also like to get as much UNIX for beginners information, so if someone might point me in the right direction so I don't have to read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satine
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

blocking DHCP

I've got a legit DHCP server on my network. I've got a 3550 as my VTP server providing 4 vlans to 4 2950 switches. If somebody were to plug into one of those vlans with a DHCP server configured then it would throw off my whole network. How could i block the DHCP server that could plug into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from blocking fifo pipe in shell script

Hi!! I have a problem reading from a fifo pipe in shell script. The idea is simple, I have a C program with two pipe files: An input pipe I use to send commands in shell script to the C program (echo "command" > input.pipe) An output pipe that I read the result of the command also in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorin
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ps blocking

Hi Folks I have been debugging a script that is called every thirty seconds. Basically it is doing a ps, well two actually, one to file (read by the getline below) and the other into a pipe. The one into the pipe is: - V_SYSVPS=/usr/sysv/bin/ps $V_SYSVPS -p$PIDLIST -o$PSARGS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocking signals

I know how to add signal to a set. But what if I want to add 2 or 3 signals to the set. I know I can use sigaddset (&set,SIGBUS)....but what if I want to add SIGBUS and SIGALRM at once. Do i have to do it like this.. sigaddset (&set,SIGBUS); sigaddset (&set,SIGALRM); Is there another way to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

ping blocking

Hi I am starting to practice nmap for my own education. Now I created two host in virtual box. Bot are scientific linux, one in installed as web server and the other as developing station. I tried to run nmap on so I did nmap on their IP address, I got an answer that ip is down or that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

10. Programming

Which are blocking and non-blocking api's in sockets in C ?

among the below socket programming api's, please let me know which are blocking and non-blocking. socket accept bind listen write read close (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
2 Replies
empty(1)						      General Commands Manual							  empty(1)

NAME
empty - run processes under pseudo-terminal sessions SYNOPSIS
empty -f [-i fifo1 -o fifo2] [-p file.pid] [-L file.log] command [command args] empty -w [-Sv] [-t n] [-i fifo2 -o fifo1] key1 [answer1] ... [keyX answerX] empty -s [-Sc] -o fifo1 [request] empty -r [-b size] [-t n] [-i fifo2] empty -l empty -k [pid] [signal] empty -h DESCRIPTION
empty is an utility that provides a simple interface to execute and/or interact with processes under pseudo-terminal sessions. This tool is definitely useful in programming of shell scripts which are used to communicate with interactive programs like telnet or ftp. In some cases empty can be a substitution for TCL/expect or other similar programming tools. There are several common forms of command lines for empty. But the first execution of empty is usually a start in the daemon mode to fork a new command (process) under PTY-session. This can be done with -f key. An interface for the input and output data channels of the forked process is performed by two fifo files which names may be specified with -i and -o keys. These files are automatically created/deleted any time you start/exit empty daemon, so you must not create them manually. If you did not specify these fifo files in the command line, empty names them by itself basing on its PID and PID of forked PTY process. At this point any application can easily communicate with forked process by writing data to the input fifo and reading answers from the output fifo, see EXAMPLES section for the details. To simplify this operations, empty offers an interface to just send any data (use -s key), or even to watch the output fifo for multiple keyphrases and reply to the input fifo with one of the responses (see -w key). Note! Input fifo for empty -f ... is usually an output fifo for empty -w and empty -s forms. And output fifo of empty -f ... is an input fifo for empty -w ... If something goes wrong the forked process may be killed by the standard kill command, or using -k key of empty. See -p option to save PID of empty daemon process. The following options are available: -f fork, spawn, start or execute a new process specified by the command and its arguments. If you omit fifo files, empty with its job control algorithm will create them under /tmp directory using this templates: empty.PPID.PID.in and empty.PPID.PID.out, here PPID is usually your shell system process ID and PID is system process ID of empty-daemon. -s send data (request) to the forked process. If fifo file was not specified with -o key, empty will try to find an automatically created fifo file it in /tmp directory. Instead of command line you can send your request or data directly to standard input (stdin) of empty -w watch for one or more keyphrases and if specified send the appropriated response to the input fifo. If response is not set, empty waits for the proper keyphrase then exits. With -w key empty returns the number of matched keyphrase-response pair, or 255 if fails to find this match (see -t key for details of possible exit on timeout). -r read from output FIFO one line (default) or one block of data (if -b size was specified). If -t n key was placed, exit on time- out. -l list automatically created jobs by your shell. NB! Your custom jobs, which fifo files you specified with -i and -o keys, are not displayed. So if you did not specify fifo files with -i and -o keys all operations are done under the job marked current -k send signal to the process with pid. If you did not specify pid, empty tries to find it within the list of automatically cre- ated jobs. If signal is omitted the default SIGTERM is used. -h print short help message and exit -i fifo1 a fifo file, which is used as input for a forked process. -o fifo2 a fifo file, which is used as output for a forked process. -L file.log This option allows to log the whole empty session to a file. Marks >>> and <<< show the directions of data flow. --logfile-mode=mode This option allows to choose the mode of the log file created with the -L option. The default mode is 0600. -p file.pid Save PID of empty daemon process to a file -t n If input FIFO is empty, wait for n seconds (default is 10) to receive the keyphrase then exit on timeout with 255 code. -c force empty to use stdin for data or requests. -S Strip the last character from the input. Works with -s and -w keys -v kvazi verbose mode. Show all contents of received buffer. EXAMPLES
Start a new PTY-session with telnet to localhost: empty -f -i in.fifo -o out.fifo -p empty.pid -L empty.log telnet localhost Interact with telnet: empty -w -i out.fifo -o in.fifo ogin 'my_user ' empty -w -i out.fifo -o in.fifo assword 'my_password ' Send commands to telnet with empty: empty -s -o in.fifo who empty -s -o in.fifo "ls -la / " The same using STDIN: echo who | empty -s -o in.fifo echo "ls -la /" | empty -s -o in.fifo Just cat output from telnet: cat out.fifo Read one line from out.fifo: empty -r -i out.fifo Send commands to telnet with ordinary echo: echo "who am i" > in.fifo echo "uname -a" > in.fifo Kill a process with PID 1234: empty -k 1234 or kill 1234 Telnet session with automatically created jobs: empty -f telnet localhost Interact with telnet using job control: empty -w ogin 'my_user ' empty -w assword 'my_password ' List automatically created jobs: empty -l PPID PID TYPE FILENAME 479 706 in /tmp/empty.479.706.in 479 706 out /tmp/empty.479.706.out 479 711 in /tmp/empty.479.711.in 479 711 out /tmp/empty.479.711.out 479 711 current SECURITY
It is considered insecure to send a password in the command line like this: empty -w assword 'my_password ' or like this: empty -s 'my_password ' The reason is that the command line arguments are visible to the system while empty is running. Any local user can see them with ps(1), sometimes they are visible even remotely with finger(1). Also your server may have some monitoring tools which may store the output from ps(1) in their logs. There are also other, more complicated ways to compromise this information. Generally, you should take command line arguments as (possibly) visible to every one unless you really know what you're doing. empty with '-s' flag runs quickly in most cases, but still it can hang for a number of reasons (like fifo overloading), and even if it runs quick you still cannot be sure that no one will see its command line arguments even in this short time. empty with '-w' flag is even worse because it must wait for the keyphrase. A better way to send the password to the supervised program is to read it from file: empty -s [common options] <./password-file or from a pipe: get-password-of-user "$user" |empty -s [common options] You should still make sure that you do not send any password via command line while creating this file, and certainly you should set some safe permissions to this file AND its directory (with the parent directories) before reading the password from the file OR writing the password to it. Another possible way is to use your shell's builtin (but see below): echo "$password" |empty -s [common options] Many shells like bash(1), csh(1) and FreeBSD's sh(1) do not call external echo(1) command but use their own builtin echo command. Since no external command is started (the shell itself does all that echo(1) must do), nothing is shown in the process list. It is beyond this man- ual page to discuss the way to make sure that your shell uses the builtin command. RETURN VALUES
If any error occurs empty usually exits with code 255. Otherwise zero or some positive value (see -w key) is returned. SEE ALSO
expect(1), chat(8) AUTHOR
empty was made by Mikhail E. Zakharov. This software was based on the basic idea of pty version 4.0 Copyright (c) 1992, Daniel J. Bernstein but no code was ported from pty4. SECURITY section of this manual page was contributed by Sergey Redin. March, 05 2006 empty(1)