Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Parallel Execution on Multiple System Post 302285855 by 123an on Monday 9th of February 2009 10:58:42 PM
Old 02-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
With GNU xargs, you can use the -P option to run jobs in parallel. So
Code:
cat input.txt | xargs -n 1 -P 4 myprogram

would run your program with each line of input provided as the arguments to myprogram, and 4 jobs would be started at a time.

To distribute among several Linux nodes, you can build a cluster, as Neo suggested.

OR you can use ssh/rsh to distribute run the jobs on the other hosts. First, make a file containing the hostnames of your cluster. If a host has 2 CPUs, have the hostname entry twice. If it has 4 cores, have 4 entries of that hostname.

From here you can go in different directions, but ultimately, you run one rsh/ssh process her line in this hosts file.
Hi Neo and otheus,

Thanks for ur valuable replies....

I am currently exploring all options suggested here....

Thanks...

123an

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel Execution

Hello, I wish to run parallel process forked from one script. Currently I doing is submit them in background. For example: --------------------------------------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/ksh process1 & process2 & process3 & ..... ..... #here I check for completion of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
4 Replies

2. AIX

Make : parallel execution

Hi, Is there any way to run parallel jobs using make command? I am using non-GNU make utility on AIX 4.3. I want to run 2 jobs symultaneously using make utility. Thanks. Suman (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel Job Execution

Hi All, At present I am using a UNIX Script which is running a set of JOBS. These JOBS are to be repeated for 20 times, means the same set of JOBS are repeated by just passing different arguments (From 1 to 20). Is there any way by which I can execute them parallel? At present its all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional execution and parallel jobs

how can i process jobs parallel with conditions below. Script1.ksh Script2.ksh Script3.ksh Script4.ksh Script5.ksh Script6.ksh Script7.ksh Script8.ksh Script9.ksh Script10.ksh After successful completion of Script1.ksh I need to run Script7.ksh. After successful... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford2020
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel execution of script not syncronize

I am haveing 2 scripts, 1st script calls 2ed script for each parameter.(parameters are kept in a different txt file) 1st script for x in `cat Export_Tables_List.txt` do sh Exp_Table.sh $x & done echo -e "1) following tables are successfully exported : \n" > temp cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbmk_design
1 Replies

6. Programming

Parallel Execution of Programs

Since there've been a few requests for a method to execute commands on multiple CPUs (logical or physical), with various levels of shell-, make-, or Perl-based solutions, ranging from well-done to well-meant, and mostly specific to a certain problem, I've started to write a C-based solution... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parallel Execution of Command

Hi All, We have a table that has to store around 80-100 million records. The table is partitioned by a column called Market Code. There are 30 partitions each corresponding to one MRKT_CD. The source of this table is a join between 3-4 other tables. We are loading this table through SQLPLUS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make parallel execution on folder ?

I have few very huge files ~ 2 Billion rows of 130 column(CDR data) in a folder, I have written shell script need to read on each file in a folder and will create a new files based on some logic. But problem is it's taking time to create a new file due to the size , So i dont want to corrupt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rspwilliam
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Parallel execution on multiple servers in UNIX

I have a requirement (in a shell script) to connect to several servers at once and execute a series of commands. I am aware that ssh can be used for sequential execution. But since most of the commands that I need to execute take a long time, I have to go for the parallel option. Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sneha1887
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Parallel execution of Oracle procedure in UNIX

i have say x number of procedure to run, ie i have one procedure which accepts variable and i need that to run in parallel and capture the error code if in case if it fails through the unix. sqlplus <EOF> exec test_t (abc,124); </EOF> sqlplus <EOF> exec test_t (abc,125); </EOF> sqlplus <EOF>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
2 Replies
CD-HIT-2D-PARA.PL(1)						   User Commands					      CD-HIT-2D-PARA.PL(1)

NAME
cd-hit-2d-para.pl - divide a big clustering job into pieces to run cd-hit-2d or cd-hit-est-2d jobs SYNOPSIS
cd-hit-2d-para.pl options DESCRIPTION
This script divide a big clustering job into pieces and submit jobs to remote computers over a network to make it parallel. After all the jobs finished, the script merge the clustering results as if you just run a single cd-hit-2d or cd-hit-est-2d. You can also use it to divide big jobs on a single computer if your computer does not have enough RAM (with -L option). Requirements: 1 When run this script over a network, the directory where you run the scripts and the input files must be available on all the remote hosts with identical path. 2 If you choose "ssh" to submit jobs, you have to have passwordless ssh to any remote host, see ssh manual to know how to set up passwordless ssh. 3 I suggest to use queuing system instead of ssh, I currently support PBS and SGE 4 cd-hit-2d cd-hit-est-2d cd-hit-div cd-hit-div.pl must be in same directory where this script is in. Options -i input filename for 1st db in fasta format, required -i2 input filename for 2nd db in fasta format, required -o output filename, required --P program, "cd-hit-2d" or "cd-hit-est-2d", default "cd-hit-2d" --B filename of list of hosts, requred unless -Q or -L option is supplied --L number of cpus on local computer, default 0 when you are not running it over a cluster, you can use this option to divide a big clustering jobs into small pieces, I suggest you just use "--L 1" unless you have enough RAM for each cpu --S Number of segments to split 1st db into, default 2 --S2 Number of segments to split 2nd db into, default 8 --Q number of jobs to submit to queue queuing system, default 0 by default, the program use ssh mode to submit remote jobs --T type of queuing system, "PBS", "SGE" are supported, default PBS --R restart file, used after a crash of run -h print this help More cd-hit-2d/cd-hit-est-2d options can be speicified in command line Questions, bugs, contact Weizhong Li at liwz@sdsc.edu cd-hit-2d-para.pl 4.6-2012-04-25 April 2012 CD-HIT-2D-PARA.PL(1)