Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to filter sentences??
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to filter sentences?? Post 302285679 by joeyg on Monday 9th of February 2009 12:33:39 PM
Old 02-09-2009
Question Try again explaining what you are trying to accomplish...

You are storing ten sentences into variables. You then store ten more varaiables as the length of each original variable.
Then if ANY - you have OR logic - are more than 300 characters, you print out lines.

But then what do you mean by:
Quote:
I just want to filter out the departments, centers and all and i want the above output!!
How can i get the complete sentences???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spliting up sentences

hello, i'm looking to split up text into a list of words but can't figure it out, any help would be great. thanks steven (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify sentences from a text?

Hi, I have to identify sentences from this text. If i split these statements by this way: @sentence= split(/\.\W*/,$text); I will get these following things also in the output along with proper sentences. Biol Reprod. 2002 Mar;66(3):785-95. Egydio de Carvalho C, Tanaka H,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exact match sentences?

Hi, I have sentences like this: $sent= Protein modeling studies reveal that the RG-rich region is part of a three to four strand antiparallel beta-sheet, which in other RNA binding protein functions as a platform for nucleic acid interactions. Heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoparticle... (19 Replies)
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing sentences

Hi, I have a file and that file contains the following sentences. Here we show that a virus-encoded transcription factor, viral mRNA, cellular RNA-binding protein heterodimer G3BP/Caprin-1 (p137), translation initiation factors eIF4E and eIF4G, and ribosomal proteins are concentrated in the... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. Programming

compile a program in C with teradata sentences using cc

hi, I want to compile a program in C. It have a multiple calls to teradata. I have no idea how to compile in Aix. The compiler that I should be use is cc. I tried cc -G -KPIC tdsfbd0358.c this generates a tdsfbd0358.i and after I have no Idea what I have to make, a link? how?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kajum
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting sentences that only contain a word

Hi guys Need your help how do I extract sentences with only a word i.e. today is hot hot very humid humid2 Sample output hot very (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamestan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting sentences that only contain a word

Hi guys Need your help how do I extract sentences with only a word i.e. today is hot hot very humid humid2 Sample output hot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamestan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to find sentences.

I am trying to print out sentences that meets a regular expression in awk (I’m open to using other tools, too). I got the regular expression I want to use, "(\+ \{4\})" from user ripat in a grep forum. Unfortunately with grep I couldn't print only the sentence. While searching for awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: danbroz
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the sentences that matched two patterns

Hi I have two lists of patterns named A and B consisting of around 200 entries in each and I want to extract all the sentences from a big text file which match atleast one pattern from both A and B. For example, pattern list A consists of : ama ani ahum mari ... ... and pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use $variable in conditional sentences?

Hello all I am doing a Makefile but I can't return the value of $var to use it in conditional sentences: #!/bin/sh GO=$(shell) go GOPATH=$(GO) env GOPATH make: @$(GOPATH) @if ; then mkdir -p "$(GOPATH)/bin" ; fi When I type "make", @$GOPATH returns /home/icvallejo/go... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: icvallejo
5 Replies
dadadodo(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  dadadodo(1)

NAME
dadadodo - exterminate all rational thought SYNOPSIS
dadadodo [ options ] [ input-files ] DESCRIPTION
dadadodo is a program that analyses texts for Markov chains of word probabilities and then generates random sentences based on those proba- bilities. Sometimes these sentences are nonsense, but sometimes they cut right through to the heart of the matter and reveal hidden mean- ings. OPTIONS
dadadodo accepts the following options: -c, -count n Generate n sentences. -h, -help Show summary of options and exit. -html Output HTML instead of plain text. -l, -load file Load compiled data from file ('-' for standard input). -o, -output file Save compiled data in file ('-' for standard output). -p, -pause s Delay s seconds between paragraphs. -w, -columns columns Format output for a device columns character cells in width. If not specified, the value of the environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the width. If that variable is not defined, a width of 72 is assumed. NOTES
Non-option arguments are input files. These should be text files, but may be mail folders or HTML. MIME messages are handled sensibly. When no output file is specified, sentences will be generated from the input data directly. However, loading a saved file is far faster than re-parsing the text files each time. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS Determines the width (in character cells) of the output if the -w, -columns option is not used. If not set, a width of 72 is assumed. SEE ALSO
dadadodo's upstream website is http://www.jwz.org/dadadodo/. AUTHOR
dadadodo was written by Jamie Zawinski. This manual page was written by Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@netscape.com>, based on the program's usage message. dadadodo(1)