Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting variable for query using iSql / Korn Shell Post 302285652 by Cailet on Monday 9th of February 2009 12:13:41 PM
Old 02-09-2009
Setting variable for query using iSql / Korn Shell

Hi All-

First time using iSql.
I have 4 query files - some have more than 1 line of sql statements

After a bit of research it appears I can just use the -i command and specify the input file.

Questions:
  1. Does it matter that there are multiple queries in each file? Do I need to have special formatting within the files to ensure everything processes correctly?
  2. Is there any way to pass in variables for the query statements?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting value of Shell variable from within ISQL

Hi Guys, Need help. I am using ISQL inside a shell script. Is there a way to set the value of shell script variable from inside the ISQL code. I do not want to write the results from the SQL to an output file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compound variable in korn shell

in a text " Korn Shell Unix programming Manual 3° Edition" i have found this sintax to declare a compoud variable: variable=( fild1 fild1 ) but this sintax in ksh and sh (HP-UNIX) not work... why?? exist another solution for this type of variable ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql query in unix shell script

Dear all I want to execute some isql command from unix shell script. Kindly suggest me. isql command mention below. isql -U -P use gdb_1 go select count (*) from table_x go (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using isql in korn shell

Hi all, I have two accounts in a Unix server, the first one uses .tcsh as default shell and the other uses .ksh (korn shell) as default. When I login using the account with .tcsh default, I can use the isql command and connect to our database server. However, when I use the other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Isql query in unix shell

Hi i want write a script for list of sysbase are having access or open. then i wrote like: USER="abc" PASS="xyz" SERVER="SCCS" DB="blue" WORK_DIR="/usr/home/ramakrishna" set -x isql -U${USER} -P${PASS} -S${SERVER}<<EOF>$WORK_DIR/output.log go use blue (database name) go use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Korn Shell Script / Clearcase Query

Hi, I wonder can you help me ... I have the following clearcase code that works on the command line: ct mkattr -replace Four_Legs '"cat dog"' lbtype:Animal however when i try to use it in my script it fails with the following error message: + ct mkattr -replace Four_Legs "cat dog"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegant
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign record count output of isql to a shell variable ?

isql select count(*) from Table eof How to assign record count output of isql query to a shell variable ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
4 Replies

8. Programming

How to refer to variable (korn shell)?

Hi I have the following block of code in korn shell and don't now how to refer to variable `print variable1.$dvd` ? --- integer dvd=4 integer number=0 while (( dvd!=0 )) do print "Iteracja numer : $dvd" print "$_" #it refers to $dvd var but want to refer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use shell variable in isql

Hi , I want to use shell variable in isql. example.. $ksh ./sudh.ksh "2041qwer" sudh.ksh is my script passing the perameter "2041qwer" Code in my script : =========== $SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/bin/isql -I$SYBASE/interfaces -S$OTHRSRVR -U$SYBUSER -P$SYBPASS -w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakarpasala
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value inside isql to a shell variable in ksh

Hello, I have a shell script where I am doing an isql to select some records. the result i get from the select statement is directed to an output file. I want to assign the result to a Shell variable so that I can use the retrieved in another routine. e.g. "isql -U${USER} -P${PASSWD} -S${SERVER}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RookieDev
1 Replies
packingrules(4) 					     Kernel Interfaces Manual						   packingrules(4)

NAME
packingrules - packing rules file for cachefs DESCRIPTION
is a packing rules file for packingrules contains a list of directories and files that are to be packed. It also contains a list of direc- tories and files that are to be specifically excluded from packing. See cachefspack(1M). Many users choose to manually create the packing rules file and edit it by hand. Users can edit the packingrules (using any editor) to permanently change the packingrules file, or to gain access to more powerful options that are not available from the command line (such as the command). It is much easier to enter complex wildcard expressions by editing the packingrules file. Following is a description of the lines in a packing rules file. Blank lines and lines that begin with a pound sign are ignored. Lines can be continued by placing a backslash () immediately before the newline character. All other lines in the packingrules file have one of the following formats: This line identifies a directory (or pair of directories) under which files should be packed. At least one directory name must be specified. The arguments must be fully qualified path names and may include environment variables. This line enumerates a list of files and subdirectories beneath the current directory to be packed. This specification is recursive. That is, specifying the name of a directory automatically includes all files and subdirectories it contains. This line enumerates a list of files that are not to be packed. Regular expressions are permitted. There are important differences between the arguments to the and the statements. The arguments to statements can contain slashes and are interpreted as file names relative to the directories. The arguments to statements are simpler names or expressions that cannot contain slashes. An statement will not override a LIST statement. statements only exclude files that are found beneath listed directories. If the first name argument to a or an statement begins with an exclamation point the remainder of the statement will be executed as a com- mand that will be run in the current directory. The output of the command will be treated as a list of newline separated file names to be packed command) or to be excluded from the packing list command). For the command, the resulting file names will be interpreted relative to the enclosing directory. Blanks can be embedded in an argument by escaping them with a backslash () or enclosing the argument in double quotes (` " '). Double quotes can be passed in arguments by escaping the double quotes with a backslash (). lines only apply to the statement that precedes them. lines can appear before any statement (in which case they apply to all or after a statement (in which case they only apply to the that precedes them). Any number of these statements can occur in any combinations. The order is not important. EXAMPLES
The use of these statements is illustrated in the following packing rules file. # # Ignore junk files. # IGNORE core *.o *.bak *% # # Pack everything in the work subdirectory and in a few # favorite mailboxes. # BASE /net/bigserver/export/home/myname LIST work LIST m/incoming LIST m/action LIST m/pending # # Pack two important project directories but skip # all postscript output. # BASE /net/bigserver/export/projects $HOME/projects LIST poindexter epiphany IGNORE *.ps # # Pack the foonly package. # BASE /net/bigserver/opt/foonly /opt/foonly LIST !cat .packinglist # # Also pack the latest executables for the standard # build environment. # BASE /net/bigserver/export/buildenv $HOME/buildenv LIST !find . -type f -a -perm -111 -a -print AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
cachefspack(1M). packingrules(4)