Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux Dev environment for c/c++ on Fedora 10 Post 302285623 by Corona688 on Monday 9th of February 2009 10:36:46 AM
Old 02-09-2009
From console, try this:
Code:
gcc --version

If that produces output, you have gcc. If not, you must install it, and probably g++ too.

My advice on development environments in UNIX is this. At present they've cost me more time than they've saved me, especially when makefiles are so easy. Perhaps a steeper learning curve than an IDE, but it's stuff you should ultimately know to program on UNIX.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I set up a UNix dev environment

Hello, I am totally new to Unix. My current contract requires me to build an intranet site (nothing fancy, no forms, no cgi scripts, no search engine) for a unix platform. I develop on an NT environment using dreamweaver. I am considering buying Red Hat Linux, install that on the NT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the new version of linux or should i use fedora

hi guys, pls help me to find out what is the latest version of linux that i can install in my pc or should i install fedora... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anankumar3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is FEDORA and REDHAT LINUX are same?

Hi friends, Is FEDORA and REDHAT LINUX are same? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haisubbu
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NTFS in Linux(fedora)

Can any of you Kind Experts out there plz tell me how to access NTFS partitions in Linux? This thing has been buggin me since my birth so to say.. :confused: Please oblige (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikumar_cs
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Install Oracle on Fedora Linux

I have a Fedora Linux server in my office. I want to install an Oracle 10.1.0 Client on this server. I have root access to this box and I have thee zip file of the Client installation. Can anyone let me know the steps. I assume the following. . Create an Oracle user. . Assign a password and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Building UX Server for Dev Environment

Hello. I am asked to build a new UNIX Server for Development environment before we could ask the high level experts to build production environment. Could you please let me know what all must I have to know and the steps inorder to build ux server? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Building UX Server for Dev Environment

Hello. I am asked to build a new UNIX Server for Development environment before we could ask the high level experts to build production environment. Could you please let me know what all must I have to know and the steps inorder to build ux server? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
2 Replies

8. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/shm space in red hat linux

I am using redhat linux machine and oracle11g version. /dev/shm shows 88%. Will this be freed automatically? OR should i clean any files? >df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/systemvg-rootvol 7.6G 2.2G 5.1G 30% /... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)