Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting dilemma what to use c++ or script for demon process Post 302285456 by ddreggors on Monday 9th of February 2009 02:41:07 AM
Old 02-09-2009
That really depends on the commands you are running, and how well the app/script is written. Shell scripts and c++ apps (if written well) are fast and have a small foot print.

That said, if no attention is paid to what is being done with the app/script... things can get nasty quick.

Just watch for things that cause heavy I/O (searching the whole drive or worse nfs drive for text in a file), and also watch for things that will consume all memory or cpu.

Obviously test all scripts/apps on a test machine prior to running anywhere near production servers.

Watch the I/O, CPU, and Mem when you test.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Terminal Dilemma

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask this question... I have a contract to convert a mainframe/DB2 application to using AIX/Oracle. Everything went fine but we are now running into a terminal problem. With the Mainframe app, the clients had great response time from remote... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky_triton
5 Replies

2. Programming

dilemma in control flow

hello im facing a queer problem when i execute the foll code in unix # include <stdio.h> # include <unistd.h> main(int argc,char *argv) { FILE *fp = fopen("/ras/chirag/fifotest/file.fifo","a"); int i=1; fprintf(fp,argv); printf("I SLEEP"); system("date"); for (i=0;i<50;i++)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl demon how to ?

Hello im kinda new to perl programming in unix i need to make some kind of perl demon that sites and waits to see if there is files in the dir if there is complete file ( not part of it ) , I need to mv it to different dir ok so the easy parts to cp files and perl I know , but how the hell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Solaris

DiskSuite dilemma

Hello, We have this system a SunFire 280R running Solaris 8 Generic_117350-46. It has 2 36GB disks in it. They are mirrored with DiskSuite 4.2.1. When we execute a metastat all the devices report an Okay status, but when we go into metatool everything is in the Critical (maintenance)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Final Year Project dilemma

Hello everyone. Need some final year project ideas - what is actual/feasible and beneficial experience-wise? Preferably something related to Networking / Linux / UNIX / Security . Appreciate any help/idea. E.K. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Patch management dilemma

I've inherited about 10 RHEL 3 boxes that are located in Europe behind a corporate firewall with no access to rhn.redhat.com I've been tasked with patching all of these systems but I ask, Does redhat issue patch bundles? In AIX, there are maintenance levels and Sun has patch clusters available... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

emacs gnus-demon not running

My understanding of the gnus-demon is that it should run its handlers each gnus-demon timestep. I have my gnus demon timestep set to the default 60 seconds. I have registered one handler that prints something out every time it is called (and is supposed to update the group buffer). However, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: making
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

communication between shell and and a demon 'c' program

Hello, i have a demon 'c' program that have a dynamic table of logic registers ( 2000 variables ). exemple of registers: I1.34.5 M23.4.1 I want from shell acess to this table of registers. How can i do this? with something like for read I1.34.5: #cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rzyz
3 Replies
keepalived(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     keepalived(8)

NAME
keepalived. - keepalive demon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/keepalived [-n] [-f keepalived.conf] [-d] [-h] [-v] DESCRIPTION
The keepalived The keepalived server implements the vrrpd routing demon which enables routing failover for a pair (or set) of routers (or LVS directors) and the keepalived demon which sets up and does the health checking of virtual services in a Linux Virtual Servier. OPTIONS
--vrrp, -P Only run the VRRP subsystem. --check, -C Only run the healthchecker subsystem. --dont-release-vrrp, -V leave (don't remove) VRRP VIPs & VROUTEs on daemon stop. --dont-release-ipvs, -I Dont remove IPVS topology on daemon stop. --dont-fork, -n Dont fork the daemon process. --use-file, -f keepalived.conf_file Use the specified configuration file. --wdog-vrrp, -R Define VRRP watchdog polling delay (default=5s) --wdog-check, -H Define healthchecker's watchdog polling delay (default=5s) --dump-conf, -d Dump the configuration data. --log-console, -l Log messages to local console. --log-detail, -D Detailed log messages (the default with the rc script provided). --log-facility, -S 0-7 Set syslog facility to LOG_LOCAL[0-7] (default=LOG_DAEMON) --help, -h Display a short inlined help screen. --version, -v Display the version number. FILES
/etc/keepalived/keepalived.conf SEE ALSO
keepalived.conf(5) AUTHORS
Joseph Mack from inspection of the output of keepalived --help from keepalived-1.1.4 Jan 2004 keepalived(8)