Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing Software
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing Software Post 302285433 by pludi on Monday 9th of February 2009 02:05:31 AM
Old 02-09-2009
That depends on the size of the program itself and it's dependencies, and how useful this software might be to other users.
My rule of thumb would be: If possible, ask the admin if there's a policy regarding installing software and go by that. If there's none: if it's a large application (think GCC) and/or it has a lot of dependencies (lots of libraries and/or large libraries), ask the admin. If it's useful for other users, ask the admin.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing software

when i d/l files from net "/usr/port/editor/koffice then make" i don't know what excactly have to do after when it finnished d/l it and configure i guess what its done downloading file it configures :confused: the file what do i have to do next I use FREEBSD 4.5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: challenger
3 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

installing new software

Hello, I recently downloaded and installed fedora core 3, and I am triyng to install other software like movie players and so on, when ever I download software for this operating system, I recieve with the software a text file explaining how to install it. The installation instrucions are allways... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: st_matan
1 Replies

3. SuSE

installing software

hi, i have installed suse linux (10) at my home. can anyone tell me how do i install the softwares like players , messengers etc. i am new to linux ,i am learning now. can anyone suggest or post any material so that i can easily go through and learn. thanks in advance. vishwa. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswareddy.32
6 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Installing software

Greetings, all. I'm a newcomer here, and I appreciate the forum to ask questions. Here is the situation: I am installing software on a network hard-drive (NAS), to add functionality to it. The OS is in a read-only flash partition. Someone else hacked the firmware to install Busybox on this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansen
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to decide installing a Software group

Hello, I need to install a Jboss AS 4.2 asap. But I dont want to use the GUI. I need to install a solaris 10 server with the minimal packages but I dont know how deep I should customize and select the packages. You guys , how you decide to select a package installation level ? Each server's... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowfaxxxx
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Erro in Installing OPENOFFICE SOFTWARE

Dear All I want to install openoffice on my redhat 5.1 linux os. open office folder is already extracted on Desktop. #cd Desktop/OOO310_m11_native_packed-2_en-US.9399 #./setup After run the setup command, i am getting the Error mentioned below.Please any body can help me. ERROR:- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem installing the software HDLM

I'm trying to install the software HDLM (Hitachi Dynamic Link Manager) and is presenting the following message: -Bash-3.00 #./Installhdlm In KAPL09187-W parameter is specified. I do not know which parameter is that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: to.brunoaugusto
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help installing WINE and other software

ive installed the open solaris 9 and i have downloaded wine but i dont have a clue how to install it ive unzipd the file but when i click it it just does nothing it opens but its just files im new to solaris i would realy like to know how to install and run programs like vlc player and things any... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdex
19 Replies

9. HP-UX

Installing software other than default directory

Hi, I'm using the command(swinstall -s product.pkg product1.cbin) to install software(product1). Here by default the installation is happening on the location(/opt/). Whereas I want the installation directory to be a different one (eg. /sw/). Is there any specific command which will help me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thunderbird288
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Installing software -going insane

I have Solaris 10 update 11 installed on a virtual machine which I use for my lunix class (I'm studying I.T. but have little unix experience). So I have root access* I'm also do C programming in my course and would love to do it on my Solaris machine. So I looked into installing GCC and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goformickey
5 Replies
shares-admin(1) 						   User Commands						   shares-admin(1)

NAME
shares-admin - Enables the configuration of shared NFS / SMB directories. SYNOPSIS
shares-admin [--add-share=PATH] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
shares-admin enables a user to configure the sharing of directories / filesystems. These can be shared using either NFS or SAMBA. This is linked to the ability to right-click on a directory in Nautilus and select "Share folder". OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a, --add-share=PATH Configure a share for the specified PATH. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more informa- tion. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Running the main application. example% shares-admin Example 2: Sharing a specific directory. example% shares-admin --add-share=/export/home/shared EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/shares-admin Executable for directory sharing configuration. /var/spool/setup-tool-backends/backup/shares Backup directory for files that are modified. /var/run/setup-tool-backends/debug/shares Debug logs can be found under here. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-system-tools | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. users-admin(1), network-admin(1), services-admin(1), time-admin(1), gnome-std-options(5), attributes(5) NOTES
Written by Darren Kenny, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2006. SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2006 shares-admin(1)