Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting dilemma what to use c++ or script for demon process Post 302285432 by ddreggors on Monday 9th of February 2009 02:00:10 AM
Old 02-09-2009
We use a similar process to manage several hundred servers. We have taken 3 approaches over the last 3 years.

1. Daemon (c++) that listens on a port and runs the passed args as command.
2. Bash script using ssh to issue command using ssh keys to make this a password-less process.
3. Bash script using expect.

Using a compiled c++ app running as a listening daemon was great for ease but very bad for security. We had to add in the ability to only allow admin IP's set in a conf file and in the end realized that this was a real bad security risk even with IP based ACL's.

The second method, worked well also. Again having ssh keys laying around on a file system was not the best idea either.This method was also ultimately aborted. PCI compliance prohibited usage of both the above.

In the end we agreed that using expect was less of a risk. We can use bash to script the things we need and use expect (inline in the bash) to handle the ssh login and pass the command and exit.

We use the read command to take in user and password as the script runs and store the user/pass in a variable and then pass to expect as needed.

While this is what we use it may or may not be your best approach. This all boils down to YOUR needs and requirements.

Also note that using read to store user and pass and then passing to expect will allow a non-admin to see the password if they run the "ps" command. This is only possible for a split second while expect spawns the ssh command to the remote host and is FAR better than having an ssh key or worse a user/password hard coded in a file somewhere.

The c++ approach will expose a port that can be seen and runs all the time. It will only take minutes for a good hacker to target that port. If that daemon is running as root then you are in real jeopardy at that point of having your whole system compromised! To make matters worse if (as you say) you have multiple machines using this daemon then all are at risk of this compromise.

Not sure if you have heard of webmin, but many also use webmin for this purpose as webmin allows you to "cluster" groups of machines and send commands, update packages/applications, add/update/delete users, edit configurations, and way more of all machines you have added to webmin console at once.

Webmin is quite mature and has very good security tools (SSL login, and user/host based ACL's as well).

EDIT:

Also, another good thing to use, no matter which method you decide to use. If at all possibe, create a shared location (NFS?) to store scripts that are for admin type processes. Then all you have to do is cycle through the list of hosts and all the command from the common nfs location.

Example:

Create an NFS export on your NFS server.
On hosts 1-4 have them all mount the share as "/nfs1"

Place admin scripts in "/nfs1/admin" (/nfs1/admin/update_users.sh or whatever).

Now hosts 1-4 can all use the script from the same location so all you have to do is this:

Code:
HOSTS="host1 host2 host2 host4" 
# This can also be stored in a table in a database and retrived via sql so you do not have to change all files every time you add a host!

for SRV in $HOSTS
do
    ssh $SRV /nfs1/admin/update_users.sh
done

Of course this is assuming an ssh connection and NOT a daemon, and does not show any expect examples but you get the idea.

Last edited by ddreggors; 02-09-2009 at 03:17 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Terminal Dilemma

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask this question... I have a contract to convert a mainframe/DB2 application to using AIX/Oracle. Everything went fine but we are now running into a terminal problem. With the Mainframe app, the clients had great response time from remote... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky_triton
5 Replies

2. Programming

dilemma in control flow

hello im facing a queer problem when i execute the foll code in unix # include <stdio.h> # include <unistd.h> main(int argc,char *argv) { FILE *fp = fopen("/ras/chirag/fifotest/file.fifo","a"); int i=1; fprintf(fp,argv); printf("I SLEEP"); system("date"); for (i=0;i<50;i++)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl demon how to ?

Hello im kinda new to perl programming in unix i need to make some kind of perl demon that sites and waits to see if there is files in the dir if there is complete file ( not part of it ) , I need to mv it to different dir ok so the easy parts to cp files and perl I know , but how the hell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Solaris

DiskSuite dilemma

Hello, We have this system a SunFire 280R running Solaris 8 Generic_117350-46. It has 2 36GB disks in it. They are mirrored with DiskSuite 4.2.1. When we execute a metastat all the devices report an Okay status, but when we go into metatool everything is in the Critical (maintenance)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Final Year Project dilemma

Hello everyone. Need some final year project ideas - what is actual/feasible and beneficial experience-wise? Preferably something related to Networking / Linux / UNIX / Security . Appreciate any help/idea. E.K. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Patch management dilemma

I've inherited about 10 RHEL 3 boxes that are located in Europe behind a corporate firewall with no access to rhn.redhat.com I've been tasked with patching all of these systems but I ask, Does redhat issue patch bundles? In AIX, there are maintenance levels and Sun has patch clusters available... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

emacs gnus-demon not running

My understanding of the gnus-demon is that it should run its handlers each gnus-demon timestep. I have my gnus demon timestep set to the default 60 seconds. I have registered one handler that prints something out every time it is called (and is supposed to update the group buffer). However, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: making
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

communication between shell and and a demon 'c' program

Hello, i have a demon 'c' program that have a dynamic table of logic registers ( 2000 variables ). exemple of registers: I1.34.5 M23.4.1 I want from shell acess to this table of registers. How can i do this? with something like for read I1.34.5: #cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rzyz
3 Replies
PASSMASS(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PASSMASS(1)

NAME
passmass - change password on multiple machines SYNOPSIS
passmass [ host1 host2 host3 ... ] INTRODUCTION
Passmass changes a password on multiple machines. If you have accounts on several machines that do not share password databases, Passmass can help you keep them all in sync. This, in turn, will make it easier to change them more frequently. When Passmass runs, it asks you for the old and new passwords. (If you are changing root passwords and have equivalencing, the old pass- word is not used and may be omitted.) Passmass understands the "usual" conventions. Additional arguments may be used for tuning. They affect all hosts which follow until another argument overrides it. For example, if you are known as "libes" on host1 and host2, but "don" on host3, you would say: passmass host1 host2 -user don host3 Arguments are: -user User whose password will be changed. By default, the current user is used. -rlogin Use rlogin to access host. (default) -slogin Use slogin to access host. -ssh Use ssh to access host. -telnet Use telnet to access host. -program Next argument is a program to run to set the password. Default is "passwd". Other common choices are "yppasswd" and "set passwd" (e.g., VMS hosts). A program name such as "password fred" can be used to create entries for new accounts (when run as root). -prompt Next argument is a prompt suffix pattern. This allows the script to know when the shell is prompting. The default is "# " for root and "% " for non-root accounts. -timeout Next argument is the number of seconds to wait for responses. Default is 30 but some systems can be much slower logging in. -su Next argument is 1 or 0. If 1, you are additionally prompted for a root password which is used to su after logging in. root's password is changed rather than the user's. This is useful for hosts which do not allow root to log in. HOW TO USE
The best way to run Passmass is to put the command in a one-line shell script or alias. Whenever you get a new account on a new machine, add the appropriate arguments to the command. Then run it whenever you want to change your passwords on all the hosts. CAVEATS
Using the same password on multiple hosts carries risks. In particular, if the password can be stolen, then all of your accounts are at risk. Thus, you should not use Passmass in situations where your password is visible, such as across a network which hackers are known to eavesdrop. On the other hand, if you have enough accounts with different passwords, you may end up writing them down somewhere - and that can be a security problem. Funny story: my college roommate had an 11"x13" piece of paper on which he had listed accounts and passwords all across the Internet. This was several years worth of careful work and he carried it with him everywhere he went. Well one day, he forgot to remove it from his jeans, and we found a perfectly blank sheet of paper when we took out the wash the following day! SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 7 October 1993 PASSMASS(1)