Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove last field from string Post 302285423 by ranjithpr on Monday 9th of February 2009 01:29:52 AM
Old 02-09-2009
dirname /abc1/abc2/abc3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove field starting with * and #

Hi i have file with data: abc,*xyz,#abc 123,#123,1234 *123,#123,abc So i want to remove only fields starting with * and # and i want output as: abc,, 123,,1234 ,,abc Please suggest something Thanks Sumit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a last field from a file

Hi I have file like this : abc def ghi 123 fgh der 456 sss ttt uuu vvv kkk 098 I need to remove the last field and the output should be like this : abc def ghi fgh der sss ttt uuu vvv kkk Thx in Advance (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharsan23
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to use sed to remove the value of one field from another field

I'm trying to use sed to remove the value of one field from another field. For example: cat inputfile 123|ABC|Generic_Textjoe@yahoo.com|joe@yahoo.com|DEF 456|GHI|Other_recordjohn@msn.com|john@msn.com|JKL 789|MNO|No_Email_On_This_One|smith@gmail.com|PQR I would like to remove the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bribri87
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a string from second field

I have a file in below format (pipe delimited): 1234__abc|John__abc|xyz 3345__abc|Kate__abc|xyz 55344|Linda__abc|xyz 33434|Murray|xyz I want to remove any occurence of "__abc" in the second field of this file. I did some research and found a way to replace the entire second field with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajv
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing 0 from the field

Hi Freinds, I have file1.txt as below file1.txt 1521894~~-0.400~201207 1521794~~-0.486~201207 152494~~-0.490~201207 152154894~~-0.490~201207 1521894354~~-0.489~201207 expected output : 1521894~~-0.4~201207 1521794~~-0.486~201207 152494~~-0.49~201207... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove not only the duplicate string but also the keyword of the string in Perl

Hi Perl users, I have another problem with text processing in Perl. I have a file below: Linux Unix Linux Windows SUN MACOS SUN SUN HP-AUX I want the result below: Unix Windows SUN MACOS HP-AUX so the duplicate string will be removed and also the keyword of the string on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askari
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)