Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting dilemma what to use c++ or script for demon process Post 302285279 by umen on Sunday 8th of February 2009 10:19:06 AM
Old 02-08-2009
dilemma what to use c++ or script for demon process

Hello all
i need to implement demon that needs to extract data from db load the data to memory and according to this data
to perform actions like sending emails or write/update files this action needs to be preformed each 30 min's
now i really don't know what to decide or to compile c++ program that will to the task or to use scripts and misc Linux tools ( sed /awk )
what will be the fastest way to do this? to save cpu and memory .
the dilemma is about marinating this process if its script it does not need compilations and i can just drop it into any machine linux/unix
but if its native its more harder .
what do you think?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Terminal Dilemma

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask this question... I have a contract to convert a mainframe/DB2 application to using AIX/Oracle. Everything went fine but we are now running into a terminal problem. With the Mainframe app, the clients had great response time from remote... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky_triton
5 Replies

2. Programming

dilemma in control flow

hello im facing a queer problem when i execute the foll code in unix # include <stdio.h> # include <unistd.h> main(int argc,char *argv) { FILE *fp = fopen("/ras/chirag/fifotest/file.fifo","a"); int i=1; fprintf(fp,argv); printf("I SLEEP"); system("date"); for (i=0;i<50;i++)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl demon how to ?

Hello im kinda new to perl programming in unix i need to make some kind of perl demon that sites and waits to see if there is files in the dir if there is complete file ( not part of it ) , I need to mv it to different dir ok so the easy parts to cp files and perl I know , but how the hell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Solaris

DiskSuite dilemma

Hello, We have this system a SunFire 280R running Solaris 8 Generic_117350-46. It has 2 36GB disks in it. They are mirrored with DiskSuite 4.2.1. When we execute a metastat all the devices report an Okay status, but when we go into metatool everything is in the Critical (maintenance)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Final Year Project dilemma

Hello everyone. Need some final year project ideas - what is actual/feasible and beneficial experience-wise? Preferably something related to Networking / Linux / UNIX / Security . Appreciate any help/idea. E.K. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Patch management dilemma

I've inherited about 10 RHEL 3 boxes that are located in Europe behind a corporate firewall with no access to rhn.redhat.com I've been tasked with patching all of these systems but I ask, Does redhat issue patch bundles? In AIX, there are maintenance levels and Sun has patch clusters available... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

emacs gnus-demon not running

My understanding of the gnus-demon is that it should run its handlers each gnus-demon timestep. I have my gnus demon timestep set to the default 60 seconds. I have registered one handler that prints something out every time it is called (and is supposed to update the group buffer). However, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: making
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

communication between shell and and a demon 'c' program

Hello, i have a demon 'c' program that have a dynamic table of logic registers ( 2000 variables ). exemple of registers: I1.34.5 M23.4.1 I want from shell acess to this table of registers. How can i do this? with something like for read I1.34.5: #cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rzyz
3 Replies
demon(6x)							XScreenSaver manual							 demon(6x)

NAME
demon - cellular automaton. SYNOPSIS
demon [-display host:display.screen] [-visual visual] [-window] [-root] [-count number] [-cycles number] [-delay number] [-ncolors number] [-size number] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
A cellular automaton that starts with a random field, and organizes it into stripes and spirals. OPTIONS
-visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -count number States. 0 - 20. Default: 0. -cycles number Timeout. 0 - 800000. Default: 1000. -delay number Per-frame delay, in microseconds. Default: 50000 (0.05 seconds.). -ncolors number Number of Colors. Default: 64. -size number Cell Size. -20 - 20. Default: -7. -fps Display the current frame rate and CPU load. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 by David Bagley. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any pur- pose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any pur- pose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
David Bagley. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) demon(6x)