Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zfs and flash archives
Operating Systems Solaris zfs and flash archives Post 302285247 by houston on Sunday 8th of February 2009 03:13:48 AM
Old 02-08-2009
If you are using sunWjet package then you might have to include zfs module in your template.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

flash archives

HI, are you supposed to run flarcreate in multi user mode? or should you do it in single user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

bootable X86 dvd and flash archives

I have created a bootable DVD for X86 using a flash archive, the problem is that I have to specify the location at the beginning of the install. I have edited the any_machine profile under ./jumpstart_sample to contain the following install_type flash_install archive_location ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
4 Replies

5. Solaris

ZFS root + Flash archive in update7

Has ZFS root is being supported in flash archive in the recently released update 7 .. i read a specific patch has been released for this , can anyone let me know that , and have anybody tested it if its working fine or not ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Flash Archives - A little bit of help :-)

Hi all Okay, I know how to make flash archives, and I even know how to split them and extract files. But, Ive never used one to restore an OS drive and I might have to. Ive search around google, and seen different ideas / ways, but havent really come to a definate answer. So, lets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

7. Solaris

zfs root flash archive issue

I have created a flash archive from a Ldom on T5220 with zfs root solaris 10_u8. But after creation of flar the info shows the content_architectures=sun4c,sun4d,sun4m,sun4u,sun4us,sun4s but not sun4v due to which i 'm unable to install this flash archive on another Ldom on the same host. Is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Flash Archive Jumpstart with multiple ZFS Pools

Hi, I'm trying to get a Flash Archive Jumpstart Running with ZFS Filesystem. For Testing I set up a VirtualBox VM with 2 Disks attached. On the first disk I have the ZFS root pool, on the second Disk I have some more ZFS Pools which I use for 2 additional Zones I've set up. Restoring works fine if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NoelzeN
1 Replies
GPTZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     GPTZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
gptzfsboot -- GPT bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptzfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. gptzfsboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition of a GPT-partitioned disk with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptzfsboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. BOOTING
gptzfsboot tries to find all ZFS pools that are composed of BIOS-visible hard disks or partitions on them. gptzfsboot looks for ZFS device labels on all visible disks and in discovered supported partitions for all supported partition scheme types. The search starts with the disk from which gptzfsboot itself was loaded. Other disks are probed in BIOS defined order. After a disk is probed and gptzfsboot determines that the whole disk is not a ZFS pool member, the individual partitions are probed in their partition table order. Currently GPT and MBR partition schemes are supported. With the GPT scheme, only partitions of type freebsd-zfs are probed. The first pool seen during probing is used as a default boot pool. The filesystem specified by the bootfs property of the pool is used as a default boot filesystem. If the bootfs property is not set, then the root filesystem of the pool is used as the default. zfsloader(8) is loaded from the boot filesystem. If /boot.config or /boot/config is present in the boot filesystem, boot options are read from it in the same way as boot(8). The ZFS GUIDs of the first successfully probed device and the first detected pool are made available to zfsloader(8) in the vfs.zfs.boot.primary_vdev and vfs.zfs.boot.primary_pool variables. USAGE
Normally gptzfsboot will boot in fully automatic mode. However, like boot(8), it is possible to interrupt the automatic boot process and interact with gptzfsboot through a prompt. gptzfsboot accepts all the options that boot(8) supports. The filesystem specification and the path to zfsloader(8) are different from boot(8). The format is [zfs:pool/filesystem:][/path/to/loader] Both the filesystem and the path can be specified. If only a path is specified, then the default filesystem is used. If only a pool and filesystem are specified, then /boot/zfsloader is used as a path. Additionally, the status command can be used to query information about discovered pools. The output format is similar to that of zpool status (see zpool(8)). The configured or automatically determined ZFS boot filesystem is stored in the zfsloader(8) loaddev variable, and also set as the initial value of the currdev variable. FILES
/boot/gptzfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
gptzfsboot is typically installed in combination with a ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)). To install gptzfsboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 gptzfsboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), boot(8), gpart(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
gptzfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
gptzfsboot looks for ZFS meta-data only in MBR partitions (known on FreeBSD as slices). It does not look into BSD disklabel(8) partitions that are traditionally called partitions. If a disklabel partition happens to be placed so that ZFS meta-data can be found at the fixed off- sets relative to a slice, then gptzfsboot will recognize the partition as a part of a ZFS pool, but this is not guaranteed to happen. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD