Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Upgrading to FreeBSd 7.1
Operating Systems BSD Upgrading to FreeBSd 7.1 Post 302285238 by thenrie on Sunday 8th of February 2009 12:56:17 AM
Old 02-08-2009
When making such a large jump, as from 7.1-8.X I would recommend using the cvsup route and upgrade from source. Get the source code then do the buildworld, buildkernel, mergemaster, installkernel, installworld thing (see the handbook for details). Ensures a fresh, clean build and cleans out old libraries.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading Sudo

Hi all I am trying to upgrade Sudo on my Redhat Linu 7.0 box. I have obtained the latest version of Sudo (1.6.6) from http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/. THis is in the form of a src.rpm file. I am confused about installing this. How can I install from a source rpm. It does not upgrade the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

2. AIX

Upgrading from 5.1.0.0 to 5.2.0.0

As a fairly new Administrator to AIX i am a little leary of the OS upgrade I need to do on one of our servers. I have already upgraded the microcode to the lastest level and now need to do the OS. I have the docs and discs from IBM and have determined that I dont want to do a new installation but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Target
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrading SSH

Hi, I have a sun box with Solaris 9 installed on it. The SSH version is Sun_SSH_1.0 but I need to upgrade it to Sun_SSH_1.1. Do I have to remove the SSH packages totally or is there any other alternative. Thanks, rte (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
0 Replies

4. Solaris

upgrading java

Hi there I have been tasked with upgrading java on one of our boxes to version 6.0 or later (package version 1.5 or later someone told me). but ive been trying to find the SUNW package for this and cant see it, so I checked pkginfo for installed package and there isnt one ....even though java is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Upgrading PC Memory

hello folks, I am planning to upgrade my PC's ram. currently the ram I have is 2x256MB=512MB/133MHz (DDR266) - DDR SDRAM, PC-2100. My guess is that it has 184 Pins. I would like to get a DDR2 with 667MHz, 240 pin. Is it possible, since pins don't match. Do they have to match? (there are 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

6. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

UNIX upgrading?

Right now we are using HP-UX 11i We are thinking of upgrading to 11i v3.. Questions: Why would we want to upgrade? Benefits? Do we need to install v2 and then v3 or can we just go straight to v3? I see we can get the following: HP-UX 11i v3 Operating Environment and applications... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie21
10 Replies

8. AIX

Upgrading AIX from 5.3 to 6.1

Hi, I am having 2 Hard disk one for os and another for data,I would like to know for Upgrading AIX 5.3 to 6.1,wheather I have to varry off datavg while upgrading, or any other files needs to be backup. Please suggest Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. AIX

Upgrading OS from 5.2 to 5.3

We currently have test and production servers running AIX 5.2, DB2 8.1(Prod), DB2 8.2(Test),Websphere 6.1 on both. We need to upgrade to DB2 to version 9, but to do that we also need to upgrade the operating system to 5.3 and go from 32 bit kernel to 64 bit kernal. Looking for information on any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
3 Replies

10. AIX

Upgrading Power5 from 5.3 to...

I have a power5 that I would like to update and bring everything forward. I am wondering about trouble-free upgrades. Is it better to go 5.3 -> 7 or 5.3 ->6 ->7? The power5 box is behind and hopefully can learn from experiences here. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redi
6 Replies
NANOBSD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						NANOBSD(8)

NAME
nanobsd.sh -- utility used to create a FreeBSD system image suitable for embedded applications SYNOPSIS
nanobsd.sh [-bhknw] [-c config-file] DESCRIPTION
The nanobsd.sh utility is a script which produces a minimal implementation of FreeBSD (called NanoBSD), which typically fits on a small media such as a Compact Flash card, or other mass storage medium. It can be used to build specialized install images, designed for easy installa- tion and maintenance. The following options are available: -b Skip the build stages (both for kernel and world). -c config-file Specify the configuration file to use. -h Display usage information. -k Skip the buildkernel stage of the build. -n Do not cleanup before each build stage. This suppresses the normal cleanup work done before the buildworld stage and adds -DNO_CLEAN to the make command line used for each build stage (world and kernel). -w Skip the buildworld stage of the build. The features of NanoBSD include: o Ports and packages work as in FreeBSD. Every single application can be installed and used in a NanoBSD image, the same way as in FreeBSD. o No missing functionality. If it is possible to do something with FreeBSD, it is possible to do the same thing with NanoBSD, unless the specific feature or features were explicitly removed from the NanoBSD image when it was created. o Everything is read-only at run-time. It is safe to pull the power-plug. There is no necessity to run fsck(8) after a non-graceful shutdown of the system. o Easy to build and customize. Making use of just one shell script and one configuration file it is possible to build reduced and customized images satisfying any arbitrary set of requirements. NanoBSD Media Layout The mass storage medium is divided into three parts by default (which are normally mounted read-only): o Two image partitions: code#1 and code#2. o The configuration file partition, which can be mounted under the /cfg directory at run time. The /etc and /var directories are md(4) (malloc backed) disks. The configuration file partition persists under the /cfg directory. It contains files for /etc directory and is briefly mounted read-only right after the system boot, therefore it is required to copy modified files from /etc back to the /cfg directory if changes are expected to persist after the system restarts. BUILDING NanoBSD A NanoBSD image is built using a simple nanobsd.sh shell script, which can be found in the src/tools/tools/nanobsd directory. This script creates a bootable image, which can be copied on the storage medium using the dd(1) utility. The necessary commands to build and install a NanoBSD image are: cd /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd sh nanobsd.sh cd /usr/obj/nanobsd.full dd if=_.disk.full of=/dev/da0 bs=64k CUSTOMIZING NanoBSD This is probably the most important and most interesting feature of NanoBSD. This is also where you will be spending most of the time when developing with NanoBSD. Customization is done in two ways: o Configuration options. o Custom functions. With configuration settings, it is possible to configure options passed to both the buildworld and installworld stages of the NanoBSD build process, as well as internal options passed to the main build process of NanoBSD. Through these options it is possible to cut the system down, so it will fit on as little as 64MB. You can use the configuration options to trim down the system even more, until it will consist of just the kernel and two or three files in the userland. The configuration file consists of configuration options, which override the default values. The most important directives are: NANO_NAME Build name (used to construct the working directory names). NANO_SRC Path to the source tree used to build the image. NANO_KERNEL Name of the kernel configuration file used to build the kernel. NANO_ARCH Machine processor architecture to build. Defaults to output of uname -p. NANO_BOOT0CFG Controls the options passed to boot0cfg(8); these dictate boot0's behaviour. NANO_BOOTLOADER The boot0 loader to use relative to the NANO_WORLDDIR variable. This defaults to boot/boot0sio and should be overridden to boot/boot0 to provide a VGA console. CONF_BUILD Options passed to the buildworld stage of the build. CONF_INSTALL Options passed to the installworld stage of the build. CONF_WORLD Options passed to both the buildworld and installworld stages of the build. FlashDevice Defines the type of media to use. Check the FlashDevice.sub file for more details. For more configuration options, please check the nanobsd.sh script. To build NanoBSD image using the nanobsd.conf configuration file, use the following command: sh nanobsd.sh -c nanobsd.conf It is possible to fine-tune NanoBSD using shell functions in the configuration file. The following example illustrates the basic model of custom functions: cust_foo () ( echo "bar=topless" > ${NANO_WORLDDIR}/etc/foo ) customize_cmd cust_foo There are a few pre-defined customization functions ready for use: cust_comconsole Disables getty(8) on the virtual syscons(4) or vt(4) terminals (/dev/ttyv*) and enables the use of the first serial port as the system console. cust_allow_ssh_root Allow root to log in via sshd(8). cust_install_files Installs files from the nanobsd/Files directory, which contains some useful scripts for system administration. FILES
src/tools/tools/nanobsd Base directory of the NanoBSD build script. EXAMPLES
Making persistent changes to /etc/resolv.conf: vi /etc/resolv.conf ... mount /cfg cp /etc/resolv.conf /cfg umount /cfg A more useful example of a customization function is the following, which changes the default size of the /etc directory from 5MB to 30MB: cust_etc_size () ( cd ${NANO_WORLDDIR}/conf echo 30000 > default/etc/md_size ) customize_cmd cust_etc_size SEE ALSO
make.conf(5), boot(8), boot0cfg(8), picobsd(8) HISTORY
The nanobsd.sh utility first appeared in FreeBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
NanoBSD was developed by Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 20, 2010 BSD