Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting having trouble with using if clause in AWK Post 302285077 by cfajohnson on Saturday 7th of February 2009 02:29:12 AM
Old 02-07-2009
Code:
string=John
awk -F, -v str="$string" '$2 ~ str' FILENAME

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if clause in AWK END block not working.

Hello all... I have a slight problem in my awk script... I have a script which checks a csv file and keeps a count of any invalid records and then if it finds any, exits with a code of 1. problem is it dosnt seem to work properly :rolleyes: Everthing seem to work interms of the stats output,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with awk

This is probably a fairly simple question but I cant seem to get it to work. Im trying to multiply an entire column in a file by a variable in my bash script but just cant seem to get it to work with awk. Here is what I'm trying $varr is some value $line is my file awk '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with printing to other folders w/ awk

Again, I am in need of some advice. Earlier I was shown how to have awk create folders for me. That was so cool and helpful, but now I am exploring the posibilities of combining operations with bash scripts. Now, I am creating the directories with the bash script, and then I want awk to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccox85
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with Awk

Hi all, I'm writing a program in bourne shell that compresses a file 3 different ways then displays a table of data with the compression type, original file size, compressed size and compression ratio. I've written most of it but reached 2 problems that won't allow me to finish it correctly. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javajynx
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The function of substr clause in awk command

Hello all, Please help me in letting me know the function of *substr* function in awk... actually i am new with this function i can play with awk but for this function needs your help in making me understand the correct way of using it. I am writting a code please advice regarding this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
4 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Print date at END clause of AWK

Hi to all! I 'm new in unix programing so... may be I decided a wrong tool to solve the problem but anyway... all road goes to rome jajaja. My question is: There is any way to print date at the END clause of an AWK script. I mean, I'm writing a tool with AWK and the results are redirected to a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmeriles
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble getting the next to last record with awk

Hello all, I'm a beginner to shell/ awk script writing, and I'm trying to do something that looks like it shouldn't be (too) hard at all to do, but unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to find the right way to do it with awk. I need to look for the time several processes start & end in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muadib
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trouble with awk

I am trying to figure awk. I have a file in my home directory called testawk.sh, have made it executable, and have run it... But don't see any output. This is the contents of the file: #!/usr/bin/awk -f { print " - HI -" }I enter ./testawk.sh in the prompt, press enter, and watch as the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewden
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with awk command

Hi, I need to read a string with ; separated using loop one filed by one field and perform some operation. Can you please check and let me know how to print command parameterised. key=phani;ravi;kiran number_of_keys=`echo $key|awk '{print NF}' FS=';'` for (( i = 1; i <= $number_of_keys;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble using awk command

Hi, I have 2 .txt pads containing data. I need a script which reads content of one .txt file, performs some operations and calculates a number which is stored in a variable. Now , all the content of another .txt pad should be appended to first .txt pad at pre calculated nth line number. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)