Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding out which file system a machine has Post 302284990 by mojoman on Friday 6th of February 2009 05:50:21 PM
Old 02-06-2009
Finding out which file system a machine has

Hi,

when I run sfdisk -l get:

Disk /dev/sda: 19452 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 0+ 12 13- 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 13 2562 2550 20482875 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 2563 3837 1275 10241437+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 3838 19451 15614 125419455 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 3838+ 5112 1275- 10241406 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 5113+ 6387 1275- 10241406 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 6388+ 6642 255- 2048256 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda8 6643+ 19451 12809- 102888261 83 Linux

WHen I have to mount one of these drives though I do not see an optin in mount for linux. Just ext, ext2 and ext3. How do I know which one to pick?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a file system of a remote machine to local file system

Hi friends, In my case, there are serveral PCs running Linux in a LAN. I would like to to mount the directory /A_river of machine-A to the file system of another machine machine-B so that I can access files in that directory. I do not know how to do this. The situation is complicated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding unix file system

Hi, I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data. I don't really know what file system is on the disk. How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmarques
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing script for finding files in the unix machine?

I would like to find whether a file exists in the UNIX machine. That i can check using if ;then echo "exists" echo " `cat $file` " else echo "invalid file" fi. and i can find out using : find / -name "filename" . But it i have wanted to search in all directories. How to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rparsa001
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Finding most busy file system

Hi Experts, I was asked to find most busy file system on one of the server. It is Sun 10. Any idea to get this? Thanks, Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
5 Replies

6. Debian

Migrate system from one machine to another

Hello! I have a debian system running on a VPS with virtuozzo as the host. I wish to move this system to another hosting provider, but they are running KVM/QEMU, and sadly, KVM/QEMU can't handle (or convert) the virtuozzo images. (And even if they could, the current provider wouldn't give me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running remote system shell script and c binary file from windows machine using java

Hi, I have an shell script program in a remote linux machine which will do some specific monitoring functionality. Also, have some C executables in that machine. From a windows machine, I want to run the shell script program (If possible using java). I tried with SSH for this. but, in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ram.sj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding processes on another system that have a file open

I am familiar with using "lsof <filename>" or "fuser <filename>" to determine what process has a given file (usually a .nfs) open. However, I recently used this command and it returned a blank list. I suspect the process that has the .nfs file open might be on another system. Is there a way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special_K
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Finding installed packages on Linux machine

Hi, i am trying to grab all the installed packages on linux machine,and only want to grab "Name" "Version" "Release" "Vendor" information i am using below command to do so : rpm -qa --info | grep -e 'Name' -e 'Version' -e 'Release' -e 'Vendor' the output contains lot other info... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

Finding lost machine on network trouble

Couldn't find my PC on network. Root of evil the was in bad patch-cable. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: useretail
0 Replies
MEM(4)                                                       Linux Programmer's Manual                                                      MEM(4)

NAME
mem, kmem, port - system memory, kernel memory and system ports DESCRIPTION
/dev/mem is a character device file that is an image of the main memory of the computer. It may be used, for example, to examine (and even patch) the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. References to nonexistent locations cause errors to be returned. Examining and patching is likely to lead to unexpected results when read-only or write-only bits are present. Since Linux 2.6.26, and depending on the architecture, the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM kernel configuration option limits the areas which can be accessed through this file. For example: on x86, RAM access is not allowed but accessing memory-mapped PCI regions is. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1 chown root:kmem /dev/mem The file /dev/kmem is the same as /dev/mem, except that the kernel virtual memory rather than physical memory is accessed. Since Linux 2.6.26, this file is available only if the CONFIG_DEVKMEM kernel configuration option is enabled. It is typically created by: mknod -m 640 /dev/kmem c 1 2 chown root:kmem /dev/kmem /dev/port is similar to /dev/mem, but the I/O ports are accessed. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/port c 1 4 chown root:kmem /dev/port FILES
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/port SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), ioperm(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-01-02 MEM(4)