Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302284979 by tlarkin on Friday 6th of February 2009 04:47:11 PM
Old 02-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Just a nit, sorry.....

I don't do "everything" from the command line on my OS X machine.

Yes, the GUI permits many things, perhaps even most things for the average user, but it does not faciliate "everything" as mentioned above.
Well, just a few thoughts about the command line and the GUI, they all kind of tie into everything. These binaries are scriptable and can be ran from the from either the comamnd line or GUI

networksetup
scutil
dscl
diskutil
open
osascript
airportd
ARD kickstart
dsenableroot
find

I mean these commands almost all have GUI front ends of some sort, and they all tie into each other very nicely. I find the general documentation and support better than most distros of Linux and Unix. Since I am an OS X sys admin by trade I love writing small scripts to configure my 6,000+ clients and it makes it easy that almost anything you can configure in the OS GUI wise also has a command line counter part which can help you get your job done.

Now on the other hand you average user will never have to open up the terminal they can do almost everything I am talking about by the GUI, which is nice to have it both ways.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
MAC_IS_PRESENT(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 MAC_IS_PRESENT(3)

NAME
mac_is_present -- report whether the running system has MAC support LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mac.h> int mac_is_present(const char *policyname); DESCRIPTION
The mac_is_present() function determines whether the currently-running kernel supports MAC for a given policy or not. If policyname is non-NULL, the presence of the named policy (e.g. ``biba'', ``mls'', ``te'') is checked, otherwise the presence of any MAC policies at all is checked. RETURN VALUES
If the system supports the given MAC policy, the value 1 is returned. If the specified MAC policy is not supported, the value 0 is returned. If an error occurs, the value -1 is returned. ERRORS
[EINVAL] The value of policyname is not valid. [ENOMEM] Insufficient memory was available to allocate internal storage. SEE ALSO
mac(3), mac_free(3), mac_get(3), mac_prepare(3), mac_set(3), mac_text(3), mac(4), mac(9) HISTORY
Support for Mandatory Access Control was introduced in FreeBSD 5.0 as part of the TrustedBSD Project. BSD
July 7, 2006 BSD