Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: validate input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting validate input Post 302284944 by DDoS on Friday 6th of February 2009 03:27:01 PM
Old 02-06-2009
The solution are working guys but i want it to be like a loop.The user cannot exit unless he enters the correct input
Thanks anw

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input from user for file name

Hello, This may have been addressed already somewhere, however I am looking for the easiest/shortest way to validate a response from a user for a file name. The file name should not have any of the following characters ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={|\:;"'<,>.?/ Further the response should not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate input values

Hi How would i validate value of a variable whether it is number,date or string Thanks in advance Sas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to validate a date input format

Hi all, I have a shell script(K shell) which takes a date as input. i want the input to be in DD-MM-YYYY format. Can i enforce such a format of input string using just one line of code? OR do i need to parse the input date into different components and test them using Case statements... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate and sort input

Hi, This will most likely be a simple answer. Currently I have a situation where my script will be sent various options: -o1 -o2 -oe3@somthing.com Now, if I want to run a certain command based on the option I am sent, I am doing the following. for o in $(echo $options) do if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate input parameters?

Hi, I wonder how I can know if the input parameters to the script are numbers or text Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gengis-Kahn
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another validate input Question.

I'm writing a bash shell script to 'help' me post to susepaste (I can NEVER remember the time options). Here's the code: #!/bin/bash ########## # # Project : personal script. # Started : Wed Aug 03, 2011 # Author : Habitual # Description : susepaste c-li script with user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Epic - Validate input size

Is there an easy way to validate an input field size. Let us say a script is asking to enter 10 digits mobile number, how do I write a script to validate it is numeric and is 10 digits in length? I just need an easy way w/o using looks ...etc. Is there such a away ? Here is what I have so far... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate user's input..?

$Input_filename=$ARGV; if (!-d $Input_filename && ! -e $Input_filename) { print "USAGE: Please enter '$ABCD/def/dsed.txt' as an arguement \n"; exit; } 1. Input Is suppose to be something like "$ABCD/def/dsed.txt". if the input is wrong the script should throw an ERROR message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate input files and update

We have a job which we need to run on daily bases, before loading data in a table we need to validate whether the input file is received or not.Inputfile formatsrc_sps_d_Call_Center_Reporting_yyyymmdd_01.dat SPS-Service nameYYYY-yearMM-MonthDD-dayLike above we will get n number of files for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate input files daily

We have a job which we need to run on daily bases, before loading data in a table we need to validate whether the input file is received or not. Daily client will place the files in a particular path.Below files which I need to process for 04/01/2013(Load date).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
2 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd, ypchfn, ypchsh - change your password in the NIS database SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [-f] [-l] [-p] [user] ypchfn [user] ypchsh [user] DESCRIPTION
In the old days, the standard passwd(1), chfn(1) and chsh(1) tools could not be used under Linux to change the users NIS password, shell and GECOS information. For changing the NIS information, they were replaced by their NIS counterparts, yppasswd, ypchfn and ypchsh. Today, this versions are deprecated and should not be used any longer. Using the command line switches, you can choose whether to update your password -p, your login shell -l, or your GECOS field -f, or a com- bination of them. yppasswd implies the -p option, if no other option is given. If you use the -f or -l option, you also need to add the -p flag. ypchfn implies the -f option, and ypchsh -l. When invoked without the user argument, the account information for the invoking user will be updated, otherwise that of user will be updated. This option is only available to the super-user. If the yppasswdd daemon on the server supports it, you can give the root password of the server instead of the users [old] password. All tools will first prompt the user for the current NIS password needed for authentication with the yppasswdd(8) daemon. Subsequently, the program prompts for the updated information: yppasswd or -p Change the user's NIS password. The user is prompted for the new password. While typing the password, echoing is turned off, so the password does not appear on the screen. An empty password is rejected, as are passwords shorter than six characters. The user will then be requested to retype the password to make sure it wasn't misspelled the first time. ypchsh or -l Change the user's login shell. The user is prompted for a new shell, offering the old one as default: Login shell [/bin/sh]: _ To accept the default, simply press return. To clear the shell field in your passwd(5) file entry (so that the system's default shell is selected), enter the string none. ypchfn or -f Change the user's full name and related information. Traditionally, some applications expect the GECOS field (field 4) of the passwd(5) file to contain the user's real name (as opposed to the login name) plus some additional information like the office phone number. This information is displayed by finger(1) and probably some other tools, too. When setting the full name, ypchfn displays the following prompts, with the defaults in brackets: Name [Joe Doe]: Location [2nd floor, bldg 34]: Office Phone [12345]: Home Phone []: To accept a default, simply press return. To clear a field, enter the string none. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), finger(1), passwd(5), passwd(1), ypcat(1), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
yppasswd is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.9 June 2004 yppasswd(1)