Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem using diff command in unix Post 302284737 by otheus on Friday 6th of February 2009 08:39:23 AM
Old 02-06-2009
You can run your diff through sed:
Code:
diff file1 file2 | sed 's/^[<>] /'

This will leave the lines intact except for the leading > or < and space. It will also leave behind the ed lines like:
Code:
1,10c4,14

You can use sed or grep to filter those out easily enough.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with diff and tcl scripts freaking out unix

running solaris 2.5.1 on a sparc5, with less than 12 users runnign compilers, gui's, really not a heavy load on it however, sometimes, not always, when users run diff, or sdiff or a .tcl script, the computer locks up. One time right before everything froze, I noticed in top, that the sdiff process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff command problem

Folks, I am Diff'ing 2 identical files..and the result is, it shows all the lines from 2 files (saying nothing is being matched). If I copy the content from 1 of the file and paste in a newly created file and then do the diff, it equals. 2 files are xml files. I've tried many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using diff

Hi, When i use diff command, i get the output like this 2c2 < Table Name: AAA Row Count:96 SUM(F1): 3739 MAX(F1):77 MIN(F1): 0 AVG(F1): 38.9479167 LENGTH(LINE): 2260 --- > Table Name: AAA Row Count:96 SUM(F1): 4009 MAX(F1):77 MIN(F1): 0 AVG(F1): 40.9479167 LENGTH(LINE): 2260 4a5,10 >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with diff command

I am trying to do a diff between two files using "diff" command.I dont need my output to be printed using extra symbols ">" and "<" as we usually see for the diff command. Even to excude these characters in each line of the output, my diff output has inturn many symbols ">" and "<". Please help.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharitha
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not sure how to use diff and comm for my problem

Hello, Apologies if this question has been repeated before, but I am getting myself confused even more as I scan the posts! I have two files, file1 is a column: 1dlwa_ 1s69a_ 1idra_ 1ngka_ And file2 has three columns (columns seperated by tabs): 1dlw a_ A 1uvy a_ A 1dly a_ A 1uvx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with diff command

Hello Guys, I am a newbie to Unix. I was going through the diff command with example like this, $ cat 1 1 2 4 0 8 9 $ cat 2 1 0 3 2 8 My output is like this: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh_raghu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Diff command...

Hi All, I havae 2 files like this File1.dat.tar.gz--- has +667866066123|20110506 +667866066866|20110405 File2.dat.tar.gz -----contains +447866066123|20110505 +447866066866|20110405 If I give Gzcat File1.dat.tar.gz | cut –d “|” –f 1 > out1.dat Gzcat File2.dat.tar.gz| cut –d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff problem

Hi, I need to get only different rows from comparing two files , i donot need the place of row or any other error comments , just my data , Can anyone help me please? example: $Diff -b reham.txt reham1.txt 7a8(DON'T NEED IT) > hany 4/4/1989 $100,000 \ No newline at end... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with diff

I am using the diff command, but i cant figure out why it is displaying these strange numbers and letters diff spellExample spellExample.bak 1c1 < I went to a garden party --- > I went to a gadren party 3c3 < bunch of my old friends did something --- > bnuch of my old freinds did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: football12345
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff command in Unix

Hi I want to compare two rows in unix first value in row is 1.12 while value in other row is 000001.12. if i do normal diff this will come as difference...is it any way to overcome this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanranad
1 Replies
bdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - Finds differences in large files SYNOPSIS
bdiff file1 file2 [number] [-s] bdiff - file2 [number] [-s] bdiff file1 - [number] [-s] The bdiff command compares file1 and file2 and writes information about their differing lines to standard output. If either filename is - (dash), bdiff reads standard input. OPTIONS
Suppresses error messages. (May either precede or follow the number argument if it is specified.) DESCRIPTION
The bdiff command uses diff to find lines that must be changed in two files to make them identical (see the diff command). Its primary purpose is to permit processing of files that are too large for diff. The bdiff command ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainders into sections of number lines, and runs diff on the sections. The output is then processed to make it look as if diff had processed the files whole. If you do not specify number, a system default is used. In some cases, the number you specify or the default number may be too large for diff. If bdiff fails, specify a smaller value for number and try again. Note that because of file segmenting, bdiff does not necessarily find the smallest possible set of file differences. In general, although the output is similar, using bdiff is not the equivalent of using diff. NOTES
The diff command is executed by a child process, generated by forking, and communicates with bdiff through pipes. It should not normally be necessary to use this command, since diff can handle most large files. EXIT STATUS
No differences. Differences found. An error occurred. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), diff3(1) bdiff(1)