Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Server unable to send mail-how to configure Post 302284660 by funksen on Friday 6th of February 2009 04:14:08 AM
Old 02-06-2009
to answer both of your posts

you don't need the -v flag, it's for more detailed output of linux mail command, and mailx in solaris

if you want it, use

echo bla | mailx -v emailaddress

>>It says... svcs: not found. What does this mean?<<
that means your shell could not find the svcs command in your path, set in PATH variable Smilie
your solaris is too old for svcs, or it's simply not in your path
check for sendmail in /etc/init.d

/etc/init.d/sendmail start

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Configure AIX v5.1 for send mail

Hi, I wish to send a mail via ksh using this command: cat mailfile | mail -s "My Project." gio123bg@hel.com Is it necessary to configure some file? If yes, in which way? May you explain me all steps necessary to implement the above command? Many thanks in advance for your kind... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
0 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to send mail?

i am trying to execute the below script for sending mails from unix MAIL1="xyz@yahoo.com" mailx -s "hi" $MAIL1<message.txt if then echo "failure" else echo "success" fi but iam unable to send this eventhough iam getting success in the output if i logout and login i have a "you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
1 Replies

3. AIX

unable to send mail

hi, I have tried this code to send mail.Its not giving me error but I am not receiving mail also. #!/bin/ksh echo "The first mail" >msg cnt=`cat /dir1/msg | wc -l` if then mail -s "Hello" abc.xyz@domain.com < msg fi I have also tried with the command mailx -s "hello"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to send a mail

Hi, I have been trying to send a mail from a remote site using this script To send the mail: #!/bin/ksh MAILTO="abc@xyz.com" BACKUPDIR="/wls_domains/wli81_1/RHTEAM/OUTPUTBACKUP/" #BACKUPDIR="../OUTPUTBACKUP/" while ; do print $1 uuencode $1 $1 | mail $MAILTO ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monicaminj2000
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to send mail

hi all i got two server, mercury and procyon mercury can send email but procyon cannot below is their syslog mercury: Jul 6 13:17:17 mercury sendmail: n665HGXg006886: to =<leecw@domain.com>, ctladdr=<ora10g@mercury.domain.com> (4001/101), d elay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
7 Replies

6. HP-UX

[Solved] How do I configure Unix Mail Server to use another Mail Exchange Server

We have configured our mail unix server and can send out emails automatically from applications running on unix to different people in our company as well as outside our company. However there is an outside client who is not receiving these emails because the settings on their mail server cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tenyhwa
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

unable to send mail from redhat linux server

While sending mail from linux server we observed below logs, stat=Deferred: Name server: xxxxxxxxxx.: host name lookup failure Kindly suggest what we need to change? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydoss1
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure sendmail to Only send mail to one domain

On both Solaris 10 and RHEL, we would like to configure sendmail in such a way that the email sent from the server should only go to a particular domain. For eg. We want our server to ONLY send the mail to <user_name>@abc.com. All other domains should be blocked/restricted. The server should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk2code
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send mail with 'mail' command

I am unable to cause the 'mail' command to send mail from my linux ubuntu 15.10 computer. File 'mail.log' typically reports Connection timed out. I issue the command: mail -s "my subject" recipient@domain.com < filenamewhere filename is a file containing my message. Specifically, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcnm
3 Replies
mail_manual_setup(7)					 Miscellaneous Information Manual				      mail_manual_setup(7)

NAME
mail_manual_setup - Describes how to manually set up and start mail DESCRIPTION
Manually setting up and starting your Tru64 UNIX mail system involves stopping and starting the sendmail utility, making changes to the /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf and /var/adm/sendmail/hostname.m4 files, and running the newaliases command. The following sections discuss these tasks and also provide information about POP and IMAP mail. Before you configure mail, your machine should be established on a local area network (LAN). If you want to use domain-based addressing, you must also configure the Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) service in your environment. Furthermore, if you want to distribute your /var/adm/sendmail/aliases database (see aliases(4)) amongst the machines in your environment, you must configure the Network Information Service (NIS). See the Network Administration guide, bind_intro(7), nis_intro(7) for more information about the BIND and NIS services. Setting Up Your Mail System Setting up your mail delivery system requires that you understand how the sendmail utility works and how to modify the /var/adm/send- mail/sendmail.cf file and the m4 files. The sendmail Utility The sendmail utility is a general-purpose mail router that enables a user to send mail to users on the same and other systems. In most cases, the mail utilities rely on sendmail to parse mail addresses and to resolve system aliases. Specifically, when a message is sent, the message goes through the following delivery process: The mail utility passes the message to the sendmail utility. The sendmail utility checks its aliases database for full expansion of system names. The sendmail utility parses the address of the receiver of the mail according to a set of rules. If the message is going to a user on the same system as the sender, sendmail passes the message to the mail utility for delivery. If the message is going to a user on a remote system, sendmail forwards the message to the sendmail utility (or the equivalent utility for systems other than Tru64 UNIX) on the remote system by using one of the following protocols, as specified in the address: DECnet Used to send mail with DECnet (for example, host::user). uux Used to send mail with the UNIX-to-UNIX Copy Program (UUCP) (for example, decosf!user). SMTP Used to send mail with the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) facility (for example, user@decosf.dec.com). Once the message arrives on the correct system, the sendmail (or equivalent) utility passes the message to the mail utility for delivery to the receiver's mailbox. The sendmail Configuration File The sendmail configuration file, sendmail.cf, contains the instructions for how your mail is sent and delivered, and how it is parsed. This file includes several tunable macros that you can modify to suit your environment, and one macro that you should be aware of but cannot modify. For more information, see the sendmail(8) reference page. Using m4 Files Alternatively, you can use the mailconfig GUI or mailsetup script to fine tune your mail configuration. For more information, see the mailconfig(8) and the mailsetup(8) reference pages and the Network Administration manual. You can edit the /var/admin/sendmail/hostname.m4 file, modifying the define lines. The file contains comment lines (lines that begin with dnl), that provide additional information. For example, the following define line specifies that RFC976-style addressing is disabled: define (_RFC976, {})dnl To enable RFC976-style addressing, modify the line as follows: define (_RFC976, {T})dnl The T enables RFC976-style addressing. After you edit the file, change to the /var/adm/sendmail directory and issue the following command: # make -f Makefile.cf.hostname: This command generates a hostname.cf file. To use the new configuration, copy the hostname.cf file to send- mail.cf and restart sendmail by using the /sbin/init.d/sendmail restart command. For more information, see the m4(1) and sendmail.m4(8) reference pages. User Configurable Mail Locking Different mailers use different methods to lock mailbox files. Tru64 UNIX enables you to configure the locking style. To do this, use the /usr/sbin/rcmgr set command to set MAILLOCKING in the /etc/rc.config.common file. Valid values for MAILLOCKING are as follows: Specifies lockf. Specifies lockfile. Specifies Multi-channel Memo Distribution Facility (MMDF). This applies to MH only. Specifies lockf. Specifies that both lockf and lockfile are used. Restrictions Spool files are locked while being modified by using the lockf call and by using a lock file (/var/spool/mail/$USER.lock). When spool files are NFS-mounted the NFS lockd daemon should be running on both the client and server machine. Any user-added program that modifies the spool area must use lockf, the lock file method of locking, or both. ULTRIX Version 4.3 and earlier versions use lock file locking. Queue files (which reside in the /var/spool/mqueue directory) are locked using lockf. Sharing mqueue over NFS is supported with NFS locking (lockd) enabled. Starting the Mail System To start the mail system, use the following procedure: Edit the /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf file to change the macro definitions described in the Network Administration. Issue the newaliases command to initialize the sendmail aliases database as follows: # newaliases Stop the current sendmail process by using the following command: # /sbin/init.d/sendmail stop Start the sendmail utility as follows: # /sbin/init.d/sendmail start Alternatively, steps 2 through 4 can be accomplished by using the restart option to the sendmail startup script as follows: # /sbin/init.d/sendmail restart This command does the following: Initializes the sendmail aliases database Stops the current send- mail process Starts the sendmail utility Post Office Protocol The Post Office Protocol (POP or POP3) is a client/server protocol that allows users to download their E-mail from a mail server to a remote client. It is intended for users who prefer to access their E-mail in an offline mode, a mode that is used widely today by Internet Service Providers (ISP) to provide E-mail services for their customers. The operating system includes a POP3 server from Qualcomm Incorporated, which is fully installed and configured for you when you install the OSFINET subset. Any users listed in the /etc/password file are subsequently enabled to receive POP mail, if they desire; however, you can improve security on your mail server by implementating alternate passwords for their login authentication. See the Network Administra- tion guide for more information on authentication and administering POP. Internet Message Access Protocol The Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP or IMAP4) is a client/server protocol that allows users access their mail messages on a server. With it, a user can access his or her mail folders and manipulate the contents remotely without having to log into the server. In addi- tion, the user can download a cache copy of selected messages from the server to a local system for offline browsing. The most beneficial feature of IMAP is that it allows users to resychronize their cached mail folders on the local system with the mail folders on the server. The latter can be especially useful for people who use different computers (at work, at home, or on the road) at different times to access their messages. For example, if a user deletes mail from his computer at work, the change is automatically car- ried over to his computer at home and his laptop during subsequent resychronizations. The operating system includes the Cyrus IMAP4 Revision 1 server from Carnegie-Mellon University, which is fully installed and configured for you when you install the OSFINET subset. See the Network Administration guide for information on configuring users, migrating users from POP to IMAP mail, enabling alternate passwords, and administering IMAP. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: imapd(8), mail(1), mailconfig(8), mailx(1), pop3d(8), sendmail(8). Files: aliases(4), imapd.conf(4), sendmail.cf(4). Network: mail_intro(7). System calls: syslog(3). Network Administration delim off mail_manual_setup(7)