Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question on using "[[ ]]" in lieu of IF Construct Post 302284615 by sunpraveen on Friday 6th of February 2009 12:50:12 AM
Old 02-06-2009
Question on using "[[ ]]" in lieu of IF Construct

Unix gurus,

I have a piece of code as below.

Code:
[[ -n ${ORACLE_SID} ]] && INST="${ORACLE_SID}" || INST="${TWO_TASK}"

I know that the above code can be used in lieu of an IF construct. I also know that the above code can be extended for the "true" condition to include more than one command (as below):

Code:
[[ -n ${ORACLE_SID} ]] && INST="${ORACLE_SID}" && echo "INST=${INST}" || INST="${TWO_TASK}"

But I am unable to extend the "false" condition to include more than one command.

Desired Output using "[[ ]]" instead of IF construct:

Code:
if the variable ORACLE_SID is set, then
command 1;
command 2;
else
command 1;
command 2;

How can I achieve it? Any tips or suggestions?

TIA,

Regards,

Praveen

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why stderr file descriptor redirection makes ksh's "select" construct hang.

I am trying to use one global declaration --> "exec 2>$ERR" to capture all stderr outputs that may occur anywhere in my script. Then close it at the end of the script using --> "exec 2<&-" I am using KSH on Solaris 8. KSH Version M-11/16/88i If I comment two "exec .." statements in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

(CSH basic construct) "@" query

While going through a script, i came across few syntax which I am not aware of what they exactly means. @ cnt = 1 @ num_all = `echo $var` What is the significance of "@" here. What is it called? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

7. Solaris

"Estream construct failed" Error on Solaris i86pc

Hi Guys, From past some days, I am getting an error in /var/adm/messages which is as shown below. XXXXX02:/# cat /var/adm/messages |tail Sep 16 15:28:14 XXXX02 EV_AGENT: Agent Main --Estream construct failed. Err: EMULSocket::recv() Sep 16 15:31:49 XXXX02 EV_AGENT: Agent main --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
code(n) 							    [incr Tcl]								   code(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
code - capture the namespace context for a code fragment SYNOPSIS
itcl::code ?-namespace name? command ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Creates a scoped value for the specified command and its associated arg arguments. A scoped value is a list with three elements: the "@scope" keyword, a namespace context, and a value string. For example, the command namespace foo { code puts "Hello World!" } produces the scoped value: @scope ::foo {puts {Hello World!}} Note that the code command captures the current namespace context. If the -namespace flag is specified, then the current context is ignored, and the name string is used as the namespace context. Extensions like Tk execute ordinary code fragments in the global namespace. A scoped value captures a code fragment together with its namespace context in a way that allows it to be executed properly later. It is needed, for example, to wrap up code fragments when a Tk widget is used within a namespace: namespace foo { private proc report {mesg} { puts "click: $mesg" } button .b1 -text "Push Me" -command [code report "Hello World!"] pack .b1 } The code fragment associated with button .b1 only makes sense in the context of namespace "foo". Furthermore, the "report" procedure is private, and can only be accessed within that namespace. The code command wraps up the code fragment in a way that allows it to be exe- cuted properly when the button is pressed. Also, note that the code command preserves the integrity of arguments on the command line. This makes it a natural replacement for the list command, which is often used to format Tcl code fragments. In other words, instead of using the list command like this: after 1000 [list puts "Hello $name!"] use the code command like this: after 1000 [code puts "Hello $name!"] This not only formats the command correctly, but also captures its namespace context. Scoped commands can be invoked like ordinary code fragments, with or without the eval command. For example, the following statements work properly: set cmd {@scope ::foo .b1} $cmd configure -background red set opts {-bg blue -fg white} eval $cmd configure $opts Note that scoped commands by-pass the usual protection mechanisms; the command: @scope ::foo {report {Hello World!}} can be used to access the "foo::report" proc from any namespace context, even though it is private. KEYWORDS
scope, callback, namespace, public, protected, private itcl 3.0 code(n)