Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with mksysb
Operating Systems AIX Help with mksysb Post 302284347 by samnyc on Thursday 5th of February 2009 11:01:02 AM
Old 02-05-2009
I made a typo, AIX server I am trying to upgrade is running 4.3.1.0.

On the AIX server, I don't have any DVD writer. But on the windows server and Sun Solaris, I do have DVD writer. I don't think I can NFS the DVD drive? Any way, I will try to setup the NIM server. We already tested the application works on AIX 5.3. Just trying to find the fastest and easiest solution to upgrade the old server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mksysb...

Hi friends.. My one problem is not resolved yet I have another. I am planning to take an OS backup of my p550 using "mksysb". Now i am confussed. suppose I give the command to take the backup into a tape drive and my backup size exceeds the tape capacity.. what will happen? will it ask for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
2 Replies

2. AIX

Problem with MKSYSB

Am taking a tape backup and the error output shows this. ---------------------------------------------------------------- ====== mksysb errors from /opt/uss/log/run_mksysb.stdout: 0512-038 mksysb: Backup Completed Successfully. ====== mksysb errors from /opt/uss/log/run_mksysb.stderr: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb

I dont have either a tape drive or a DVD Writer attached to the AIX box. Can you let me know the possibilities of making an mksysb in a bootable media? This is required as we have a requirement to upgrade the OS. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
2 Replies

4. AIX

mksysb issue

Hi, guys I have experience in UNIX, but more in hpux, have done an mksysb in an Aix server 5.3, and then restore in other server with same model, everithing fine but no TCP/IP configuration and hostname its like "localhost" after the restore. It's something wrong? I've change the configuration,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uadm26
5 Replies

5. AIX

mksysb backup

hi guys, i just want to take my server's mksysb backup through dvd-rom.but am having the doubt that, while am taking the mksysb backup in image it shows 8GB. So can i confirm that it takes 2 dvds and after writing in 1st cd it will ask for 2nd cd?????? please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

6. AIX

Mksysb message

Hello, I'm starting a mksysb with the help of a unix script and the crontab. The script is scheduled with crontab and executes "mksysb -i -X /dev/rmt0". When the mksysb is completed the script displays the endtime. But I also get a lot of cat messages (see below). When I look with "ps -ef... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter_e
2 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb

Hello everyone I have two questions. I would like to hear your opinions, your tips. I have several box with aix 5.3. the rootvg in each box has mirror. but I have a cron that makes a mksysb every week. Do you think that it the best to have a mksysb of rootvg if I have a mirror on this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

8. AIX

Need to take MKSYSB backup

Hi, Can any one suggest me how to take the mksysb backup in CD (VCD/DVD). I have tried like #mkcd -d /dev/cd0, but its not working. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oprakash
3 Replies

9. AIX

mksysb backup

hi we are having one rootvg in that we created one lv named mksysb_backuplv and normally script will run accordingly to take the backup in the cron,here i just want to know if any rootfilesystem was correpted like /usr or /tmp ,then how could i restore the particular filesystme from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senmak
1 Replies

10. AIX

savevg - mksysb

Hello, I use commands savevg & mksysb to do backups on an AIX server. Frequently, I have a return code 3. I would know why, but after searches, I did'nt find. If somebody know ... Tell me. Thanks. emetra (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emetra
2 Replies
scsieject(1)						      General Commands Manual						      scsieject(1)

NAME
scsieject - control SCSI tape devices SYNOPSIS
scsieject [-f <scsi-generic-device>] commands DESCRIPTION
The scsieject command controls SCSI devices in a platform-independent manner. As long as 'mtx' works on the platform, so does 'scsieject'. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally /dev/sg0 through /dev/sg15, under FreeBSD these are /dev/pass0 through /dev/passX. Under Solaris this is usually the same as your tape drive (Solaris has a SCSI passthrough ioctl). You can set the STAPE or TAPE environment variable rather than use -f. COMMANDS
load Load the medium into the drive. When this command is issued to a CD/DVD drive and the tray is extended the tray will be retracted if the drive is capable of it. unload Unload the medium from the drive (also known as eject). When this command is issued to a CD/DVD drive or a tape drive the media will be ejected if the device supports it. start Start the device. Some devices require a start command after a media changer has loaded new media into the device. stop Stop the device. Some devices require a stop command prior to unloading the medium from the device when using a media changer. lock Lock the device. Locks the device so that the medium cannot be removed manually. unlock Unlock the device. Unlocks the device so that the medium can be removed manually. AUTHORS
This program was written by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> based on the scsitape program written by Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org>. Major portions of the 'mtxl.c' library used herein were written by Leonard Zubkoff. HINTS
Under Linux, cat /proc/scsi/scsi will tell you what SCSI devices you have. You can then refer to them as /dev/sga, /dev/sgb, etc. by the order they are reported. Under FreeBSD, camcontrol devlist will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which pass device controls them. Under Solaris 7 and 8, /usr/sbin/devfsadm -C will clean up your /devices directory. Then find /devices -name 'st@*' -print will return a list of all tape drives. /dev on Solaris is apparently only of historical interest. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
There are no known bugs or limitations. AVAILABILITY
This version of scsieject is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
loaderinfo(1),tapeinfo(1),mtx(1) scsieject1.0 scsieject(1)