Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is this possible with SCP?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is this possible with SCP? Post 302284324 by cpabrego on Thursday 5th of February 2009 09:47:52 AM
Old 02-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
With scp alone, probably not. But you can try this ugly little thing
Code:
$ ssh <name>@host 'tar -cf - `find <path> ! -name exclude_me -print`' | tar -xf -

It's even possible to pipe it through compress/gzip/bzip on both sides as to save on bandwith.

Thanks for the input. I have tested the command and this it what it does.

It downloads all directories (e.g.,/dir1/dir2/dir3/dirofinterest), it does not download any of the files in dir1 dir2 or dir3 which is good.

However, in dirofinterest there are more (around 40) directories which contain a commonly named file Ill call (LEAVE) which I would like to exclude because I do not need them and they are usually at least 20MB.

This is what I typed:
Code:
$ ssh <name>@host 'tar -cf - `find /dir1/dir2/dir3/dirofinterest ! -name LEAVE -print`' | tar -xf -

Since I am new it is possible that I misinterpreted your instructions. let me know what you think.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scp

I am trying to transfer a 10g files using scp, but I am getting timeout errors is there anywhere that I can modify a config file or something to increase the time. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is scp-ed over?

Hi all, i have a directory in server A. the directory path is /home/kevin. I need to scp the directory to another server B. i would like to ask, when i do a scp of the /home/kevin , i can expect all the files from A to go B. However, how about the hidden files? for example the ssh keys in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with scp

hi all in my script i was using the "scp" command to copy 2 files from a certain directory on server A to the same directory on another server B, but for some reason its only copying the first file in the directory. This is the frst time that i used the scp command,any ideas appreciated. thnks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkan77
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

scp with su

Hi Friends, I am trying to copy some files over the network in between my linux servers. I am using scp command for this. by default direct ssh root login is disabled on all of my linux servers. Normaly we used to login as a normal user and the su to th root user. unfortunately root user is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumon
1 Replies

5. AIX

scp

1. how to move files in a directory using scp ? 2. how to move the entire directory ? 3. Will the file and the directory permissions affect scp usage? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP

Hi All, Please help on the below command scp -r 'directory name'inrvgo@IP:/export/home/muthu/prod_12-09-2010 I am trying to copy a directory from one server to another server using the above command but its displaing the error (missing destination file) but the diectory was there in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need help with scp

Hi, I am trying to do scp from server A to server B. But while doing the scp i am getting the following message. +-----------------------------------------------------------------+ | This system is for the use of authorized users only. | | Individuals using this computer system... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use scp?

How to copy multiple directories using single command on solaris 10 from server A to server B. I tried scp but its working only one directory at atime How to acheive this with simple and short solution????? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
6 Replies
RAIDFILE-CONFIG(8)						    Box Backup							RAIDFILE-CONFIG(8)

NAME
raidfile-config - Configure Box Backup's RAID files SYNOPSIS
raidfile-config config-dir blocksize dir1 [dir2 [dir3]] DESCRIPTION
raidfile-config creates a raidfile.conf file for Box Backup. This file holds information about the directories used to store backups in. Box Backup supports userland RAID, in a restricted RAID5 configuration, where 3 and only 3 'drives' are supported. You can read more about RAID5 (and other RAID-levels) here[1]. Parameters The parameters are as follows: config-dir The directory path where configuration files are located. Usually this is /etc/box. raidfile.conf will be written in this directory. blocksize The block size used for file storage in the system, in bytes. Using a multiple of the file system block size is a good strategy. Depending on the size of the files you will be backing up, this multiple varies. Of course it also depends on the native block size of your file system. dir1 The first directory in the built-in RAID array. dir2 The second directory in the built-in RAID array. If you are not using the built-in RAID functionality, this field should be ignored. You should not use the built-in RAID if you have a hardware RAID solution or if you're using another type of software RAID (like md on Linux). dir3 The third directory in the built-in RAID array. The same notes that apply to dir2 also apply to dir3. Note that there are currently no way to add multiple disk sets to the raidfile.conf file using command line tools, etc. See raidfile.conf(5) for details on adding more disks. BUGS
If you find a bug in Box Backup, and you want to let us know about it, join the mailing list[2], and send a description of the problem there. To report a bug, give us at least the following information: o The version of Box Backup you are running o The platform you are running on (hardware and OS), for both client and server. o If possible attach your config files (bbstored.conf, bbackupd.conf) to the bug report. o Also attach any log file output that helps shed light on the problem you are seeing. o And last but certainly not least, a description of what you are seeing, in as much detail as possible. FILES
raidfile-config generates the raidfile.conf(5) file. SEE ALSO
bbstored-config(8), bbstored.conf(5), raidfile.conf(5) AUTHORS
Ben Summers Per Thomsen James O'Gorman NOTES
1. here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks#RAID_5 2. mailing list http://lists.warhead.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/boxbackup Box Backup 0.11 10/28/2011 RAIDFILE-CONFIG(8)