Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why is cut slower than awk?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Why is cut slower than awk? Post 302284246 by BandGap on Thursday 5th of February 2009 05:10:26 AM
Old 02-05-2009
Why is cut slower than awk?

Hi all,

for test reasons I tried the following two one-liners:

Code:
time awk '{print $4}' T_64xSC_128RW_K500.dat > /dev/null

and

Code:
time cut -d" " -f6 T_64xSC_128RW_K500.dat > /dev/null

The file contains approx. 250k lines. awk does it in 0.15 secs (real), cut in 0.44. The user time has about the same relation, whereas the sys time is almost identical in both cases.

The fact that awk is almost 8 times larger than cut (in kB) seems to make no difference.

Why is cut almost 4 times slower?

Cheers,
BG

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slower slower dead

I am running RH 7.1 and i am always remotely logged in working on a database. I got php and mysql running and then as the each week goes my rsh, or secure telnet, and any other remote session slows to become extremly choppy. If i am at teh box my i am fine the computer is not bogged down at all,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
5 Replies

2. Programming

TCP/IP send getting slower

Hi, We have developed a server program using TCP/IP Communication to communicate with another client program. After running for some days we find the TCP/IP connection from the server program is getting slower ie, the messages are not send quickly to the client. What i mean to say is since the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_puru
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TCP/IP Connection getting slower...

Hi, We have developed a server program using TCP/IP Communication to communicate with another client program. After running for some days we find the TCP/IP connection from the server program is getting slower. What i mean to say is since the send() function in the server program (it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_puru
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Why is restore slower than backup?

After my big disaster, I'm restoring from tape on my Sun box. This is the second time I've used 'ufsrestore' with this DEC TZ88 SCSI DLT drive. The last time was for a migration from one box to another. Both the last time and this time, the restore has taken a hell of a lot longer than the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[grep awk cut] > awk

Hi, I'm very new to scripting. grep $s $filename | awk '{print $2}' | cut -c 1-8 How can I optimize this using a single awk? I tried: awk '/$s/ {print $2}' $filename | cut -c 1-8 However didn't work, I think the awk is not recognizing $s and the verbal is something else. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is awk vs cut which one is better

i was trying to work on program to look for users never log on sever.. using awk with awk is working last| awk '{print $1}' |sort -u > /tmp/users1$$ cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1}' |sort -u > /tmp/users2$$ comm -13 /tmp/users$$ rm -f /tmp/users$$ with cut it is not working ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macrules
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! using cut/awk

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. how would i do this using cut or awk methods is it possbile and having a output similar to this x, number of apperances = y, number of apperances = (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
2 Replies

8. Linux

GCC compiles a lot slower than it should

Hello everyone, i'm having a problem compiling an application i'm developing. For a month, while developing, i did lots of compilations to test it. While compiling, i noticed gcc did it pretty slow, but gave it no importance. I'm using ubuntu 10.04 32bits, and my pc has: - Dual core intel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adadon
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Job Run Slower using Autosys than running through terminal

Hi All, We run Many jobs evryday using Autosys. Sometimes due to various reason we got to run the job from terminal as well (using nohup). We observed that the job running through terminal(nohup) takes much less time then the autosys (for same job). What can be the possible reason for such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kg_gaurav
1 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)