Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302284017 by Neo on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 01:39:56 PM
Old 02-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarkin
Yes I agree, but Apple has made it so everything can be done through the GUI, no command line needed. They also have added tons and tons of command line applications that interface with their applications from the GUI, which is really nice.
Just a nit, sorry.....

I don't do "everything" from the command line on my OS X machine.

Yes, the GUI permits many things, perhaps even most things for the average user, but it does not faciliate "everything" as mentioned above.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
XDG-SU(1)																 XDG-SU(1)

NAME
xdg-su - run a GUI program as root after prompting for the root password SYNOPSIS
xdg-su [-u user] -c command xdg-su {--help --manual --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-su provides a graphical dialog that prompts the user for a password to run command as user or as root if no user was specified. xdg-su is for use inside a desktop session only. xdg-su discards any stdout and stderr output from command. OPTIONS
-u user run command as user. The default is to run as root. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manualpage. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. SEE ALSO
su(1) EXAMPLES
xdg-su -u root -c "/opt/shinythings/bin/install-GUI --install fast" Runs the /opt/shinythings/bin/install-GUI command with root permissions. AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer, Jeremy White. <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> <jwhite@codeweavers.com> This is release 0.5 of the xdg-su Manual 07/31/2006 XDG-SU(1)