Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to delete blanks inside a quoted string Post 302283986 by SFNYC on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 12:38:25 PM
Old 02-04-2009
Code:
$ X='PX_LIST=" 4119 2390 2294 2776 2897 4099 "'

$ echo $X|perl -pe 's/(^.*)\"\s+(.*)\s+\"$/$1\"$2\"/'
PX_LIST="4119 2390 2294 2776 2897 4099"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign variable from a string having blanks in between

Hi All, I am new to bash scripting. I need your help to removing spaces from a string and assign them to different variables. Iwant to call script with one command line argument which is file name which containes different attributes their type and different values eg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flextronics
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines inside a file.

hi.... I have a file having more then thousand lines. i want to remove selected lines in it. And also if there exists two duplicate lines, I want to delete one of them. Please help me with awk and shell. :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

I keep having problems when exicuting this file. It always gives me the error message "36: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string" If someone could help me edit this it would be much appreciated. #!/bin/sh # # This will continue adding numbers # untill the total is greater than 1,000 #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evilSerph
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unterminated quoted string

Hello! I wroted a little script that should check for new updates on a server and get them if any. The problem is, every time I run it with sh, I'm getting an "script: 20: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string" error! The problem is, there isn't any "unterminated quoted string" in my script:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take quoted output from one script as quoted input for another script

Hi, I have a script output.sh which produces the following output (as an example): "abc def" "ghi jkl" This output should be handled from script input.sh as input and the quotes should be treated as variable delimiters but not as regular characters. input.sh (processing positional... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing leading and trailing blanks from a string in C Shell

Does anyone know of a way with C Shell that will work on both Linux and Sun to clear all leading and trailing blanks from a previously specified string? I am using the following code to replace blanks with underscores: set Company = `echo $Company | sed 's/ /_/g but I don't want any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phudgens
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double quoted string from a line when line number is variable

I need to remove double quoted strings from specific lines in a file. The specific line numbers are a variable. For example, line 5 of the file contains A B C "string" I want to remove "string". The following sed command works: sed '5 s/\"*\"//' $file If there are multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rennatsb
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting " Unterminated quoted string"

Hi Guys, When I am executing the script #! /bin/bash SARBACKUPS=/home/pradeep/sarBackups cd /var/log/sysstat ls -1t sar* | while read SARNAME do cp -p "$SARNAME" $( echo "$SARBACKUPS"/"$HOSTNAME"_"$SARNAME"_"`date +"%Y%m%d`.bkup ) done I am getting final.sh: 1: Syntax... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
page_util_quote(3tcl)					      Parser generator tools					     page_util_quote(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(3tcl)