Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running function or command concurrently in a bash script Post 302283871 by otheus on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 09:21:29 AM
Old 02-04-2009
The file appears at execution of the 2nd line of the script, namely:
Code:
echo $$ >LOCK #Puts the pid into a file called LOCK

Also, note: you have to fill out the lines only in comments -- starting the tunnel and testing to see if it's still up.

Last edited by otheus; 02-04-2009 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: should be a space before the >

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running same script multiple times concurrently...

Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out. I've got a Python script that I need to run 60 times concurrently (with the number added as an argument each time) via nightly cron. I figured that this would work: 30 1 * * * for i in $(seq 0 59); do $i \&; done However, it seems to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckhowe
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias, function or script (bash) to "revert" cd command?

In all of my brief and superficial experience with Unix or Linux, the one curious and consistent thing has been that 'cd ./' (back up one directory level) has done absolutely nothing in any of them. Now I understand that, at least for bash, 'cd ./' appears to have been substituted by 'cd ..' Am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a function on a remote server via SSH in a script

I'm working on a script (mostly for practice) to simplify a task I have to do every now and then. I have a cluster with 6 servers on it, each server has a directory with a set of files called *.pid and *.mpid. Each file contains the pid of a process that may or may not be running on that server.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run script concurrently

Hi all, I have one script. Its job is to get 1 file from dirA and 1 file from dirB as parameters for another python script. However, there are a lot of files in both dir A and B, so running this scripts really takes a lot of time. So I wonder if there are any ways that I can do this faster,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyomano
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function not running in script.

I an using the below functions in my script. --------- checkRT() { subHeader "Runtime Check" for nn in `cat $HOST_FILE|egrep -i 'msdp|ca|backup|db'|grep -v '#'|sed '/^$/d'|awk '{ print $1":"$2":"$3}'` do fhba=`expr $nn|cut -d: -f2` fhba2=`expr $nn|cut -d: -f3` subSubHeader $fhba2 ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nandan8a
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script function which checks if itself is already running

Hi All, I have a cron job set up which is set to run every 10 seconds. What I need to do is have the script do a check to see if it is already running such that if it is running it wont fire up additional instances and processes according to its normal process. For example if I have a script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found, but using function in bash

In the bash below, if the answer is "y" then goto function remove. If the answer is "n" then goto the id variable line (where the date is inputted). However, I am getting command remove not found, but remove is a function not an command. I must have the syntax incorrect? Thank you :). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] running a function remotely using ssh

Hi all. I need a bash script to run a function remotely. I think it should be similar to the following but can't figure out the exact syntax. Here is the script: #!/bin/bash function nu () { for var in {0..5}; do printf "$var, "; done; echo } ssh host "$(typeset -f); nu" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziguy
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need a Bash script for iterating thru an array and running a command

Hi , I am a total beginner so bear with me. I have the below code which works . I need to extend it by iterating thru the array arr and executing a command in each loop. some thing on the lines of below. I need to run this in a Jenkins script , so I would need below bash script to run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SVRao19056
6 Replies
IODINE-CLIENT-START(8)					  System Administration Utilities				    IODINE-CLIENT-START(8)

NAME
iodine-client-start - start an iodine IPv4-over-DNS tunnel SYNOPSIS
iodine-client-start [option] DESCRIPTION
'iodine-client-start' starts an iodine IP-over-DNS tunnel. -h, --help Print help and exit -v, --version Print version info and exit Invoking the program without options attempts to set up and configure an iodine IP-over-DNS tunnel using the configuration in the file /etc/default/iodine-client or by querying the user. It tries to figure out the right way to set things up by observing the network, and if all else fails by guessing. QUICK CONFIGURATION Put two lines in the file /etc/default/iodine-client subdomain=your.tunnel.sub.domain passwd=password_for_that_tunnel or invoke the script with those environment variables set: env subdomain=xxx passwd=xxx iodine-client-start If these are not set, the script will query the user for them. DETAILS The configuration file consists of lines which are either comments starting with '#', or settings of the form VAR="val". Valid VARs are: subdomain Sample value: your.tunnel.sub.domain (no default, must be set) passwd Sample value: password_for_that_tunnel (no default, must be set) testhost Hostname to ping when testing if network is working (default: slashdot.org) bounce_localnet Take the local network down and then up again before starting tunnel (default: false) test_ping_localnet Test if the local network is working by pinging the gateway (default: true) test_ping_tunnel Test if the iodine tunnel is working after it has been set up by pinging the host at the other end (default: true) test_ping_final Test if the tunnel is working after everything is ostensibly set up by trying to ping an external host (default: true) default_router IP address of router on the local network---should be found automatically, set this if that fails and the program guesses wrong. interface Interface to use (e.g., eth1, eth0, etc) for connection to DNS server used for the iodine tunnel---should be found automatically, set this if that fails and the program guesses wrong. mtu Set if tunnel MTU needs to be manually changed (lowered). Should not be necessary anymore, as recent versions of iodine negotiate an appropriate MTU during tunnel setup. But if that negotiation does not happen, or if you are using an older version of iodine, the default tunnel MTU is 1024, and if the local DNS server restricts to 512 byte packets you might need to use an MTU of 220. skip_raw_udp_mode Set "-r" option in iodine command line. With this option, iodine does not try to establish a direct UDP socket to the iodine server on port 53. (default: true). continue_on_error Set if the script should continue even if a command fails. Use to test script when running as non-root. Defaults to false if run- ning as root, true otherwise. iodine-client-start 1.0.4 June 2014 IODINE-CLIENT-START(8)