Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Get files from sdlt tapes
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Get files from sdlt tapes Post 302283867 by otheus on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 09:13:51 AM
Old 02-04-2009
Well, look, it's clear you have variable block sizes, or a very small block size. Use the data from tcopy to use dd to save the contents of the records onto disk, like this:
Code:
dd if=/dev/rmt/6n ibs=3200 count=1 of=/tmp/record1
dd if=/dev/rmt/6n ibs=400 count=1 of=/tmp/record2
dd if=/dev/rmt/6n ibs=8240 count=53961 of=/tmp/record4

Then run "file record*" to see file can determine what type of file each record is in. You might try:
Code:
cat record* >record-tmp
file record-tmp

to see if maybe the whole file together is a different thing.

At least now you have a template for getting all the records off the tape. Whether you can do anything with them or not is a different problem.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

ignite tapes

can any1 tell me how to make ignite tapes for the HP-ux. this company said it was: "make_tape_recovery_A", but that don't work. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBX
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tapes

is there a command to check unoccupied space on a tape ? AIX 3.2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with DLT7000 and SDLT

Hi, I think this issue should be posted in a backup box, but there wasn't . We have an issue that we made a backup on a DLT7000 tape using tar. Ones we check using : tar tvf /dev/rmt/0 It all works great on the same server. Now ejecting the tape and putting it into server 2 with an SDLT... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidg
0 Replies

5. Solaris

regd tanberg sdlt and sunfire v 880

Hii alll Thanks for the support, iam facing a problem regarding tanberg sdlt . iam trying to connect tanberg sdlt 160 to sun fire 880 r .As SUN FIRE DOSENT HAVE SCSI CONTROLLER IAM CONNECTING A ULTRA 2 SCSI CONTROLLER IN PCI SLOT AND FROM THERE IAM CONNECTING THE TANBERG SDLT 160. MY FIRST... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

SDLT Drivers

Greetings I looking for the drivers for an sdlt tape drive for hp-ux 11.0. I think the drivers i need are stape and tape2 does anyone know where i can get them Thanks Alan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flipper_Al
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Help With Reading Partitioned Tapes

I have a bunch of 4 mm DDS tapes that have two partitions. I read them on my HP-UX 10.20 box by referencing the device files /dev/rmt/0m (partition 0) and /dev/rmt/0mp (partition 1). Unfortunately, my HP-UX box was lightning struck last week so now I'm trying to read these tapes using Unix Services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
2 Replies

8. Solaris

vxdump with more tapes

Hi Community, I've a V440 Sun Server with 2 device tape of 72GB. I have to backup a folder of 80 GB, so I have to use 2 tapes of 72GB (144 GB); If I use vxdump command which are the options that I have to use? When the first tape finishes does the system stop the backup? Please help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
1 Replies

9. AIX

Moving tapes

Hello, anybody out there that is using itdt to manage tape changes in a tape library. The help of itdt show a move subcommand but I can't get it to work. Env: AIX5.3 Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library -> rmt1 Available 01-08-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) # itdt says it finds the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
3 Replies
MT(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MT(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape control SYNOPSIS
mt [-f device] [count] DESCRIPTION
Mt is a user interface to the magnetic tape commands described in mtio(4). It allows one to space a tape forwards or backwards, write end of file markers, etc. With the -f option a tape device can be named, otherwise the environment variable TAPE is used if set, otherwise the default device /dev/nrst4 is assumed. Standard input is used if the tape name is a dash (-). The count argument is used to tell how many blocks or files to space or how many file markers to write. It may be a C-style decimal, octal or hexadecimal constant, by default "1". Command is the action to perform, it may be one of the following, or any unambiguous prefix (like st for status): eof, weof Write count end-of-file markers. fsf Forward space count file markers. fsr Forward space count records. (The size of a record depends on the tape, and may even be variable, depending on the size of the writes.) bsf Backwards space count files. The count may be zero to backspace to the start of the current file. (A tape device need not support backwards movement, or may be very slow doing it. Rewinding and forward spacing may be better.) bsr Backwards space count records. The tape is positioned after the last block of the previous file if you hit a filemark when spacing backwards. The block count is set to -1 to indicate that the driver has no idea where it is on the previous file. eom Forward space to the end of media. rewind Rewind the tape. offline, rewoffl Rewind and take offline. This may cause some drives to eject the tape. status Shows the status of the drive, the sense key of the last SCSI error, current file number, current record number, residual count if the last command that encountered end-of-file, and the current block size. retension Removes tape tension by winding and rewinding the tape completely. erase Erases the tape completely and rewinds it. density Sets the density code to read or write the tape to count. Density codes supported depend on the drive. This command need not be used if the drive senses the proper density on read and can only write one density. blksize, blocksize Sets the block size used to read or write the tape to count. This command may be used to select a fixed block size for a variable block size tape. This will speed up I/O for small block sizes. Use a zero count to use variable sized blocks again. ENVIRONMENT
TAPE Tape drive to use if set. FILES
/dev/nrst4 Default tape device. SEE ALSO
mtio(4), st(4). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MT(1)