Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem in logging into root
Operating Systems HP-UX problem in logging into root Post 302283851 by vbe on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 08:05:52 AM
Old 02-04-2009
Is /lib linked to /usr/lib?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logging in and then su to root

We have several people that log in using root. What I need to do is have everyone to log in using there own account then su to root. How would I do this. We have aix 4.2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyounes
5 Replies

2. SuSE

Logging in as root on SuSE 9.1

When I try to log on as root now all it does is load YaST. When I used to log on as root it would have a desktop and all...what has happened? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTroxtell21
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What change in freeBSD OS to allow root logging using ssh?

Hi everybody, ] I would like to ask just simpe and short question. I am using freeBSD 6.0 and Debian Sarge. From Debian console I can log as root using ssh to bsd mashine but not vice versa. When I say in bsd console su I got sorry output, it does not allow me to su to root when I am logged... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100days
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with logging into remote host

Hi All, I am using a script for remotely logging into a rhost using telnet and shutdown a server. The script is as follows. IP = 10.24.12.23; export IP UNAME = username ; export UNAME PWD = password; export PWD CRDIR = /etc/rc.d/init.d ; export CRDIR echo "logging into remote... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patil_reddy
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Prevent users logging in as root

I would like to know how to prevent users connecting to a server using SSH as root. I would still like them to be able to login with their username and then change to su. But I would like to prevent them logging in directly as root. I have searched the forum and read that I should set... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
3 Replies

6. Linux

Terminal logging character problem -Newbie-

Im a complete newbie tryin to work with linux centos; in terminal wanted to log with script command; but output file has some strange characters when I try to open with gedit or bluefish terminal , gedit, bluefish encoding is utf-8 ; Script started on Mon 08 Mar 2010 03:32:39 PM EET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anacondauser
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to avoid logging with root user?

I have created a linux machine and installed some softwares on it with root user privileges . I used to login with root user credentials for doing the various task. Later i have realise that this is not the best practice to follow and there should be a new user with less privileges to be created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in logging webmin

hi , i have a problem in logging webmin in ubuntu, i forgot my webmin password, and in internet i searched for result , at last i got one common answer that /usr/lib/webmin/changepasswd.pl /etc/webmin username passwd . i changed the passwd and when i logged into webmin it shows new ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramuk
0 Replies

9. SCO

sco remote logging problem

Hello, I am trying to write log from sco box to a remote host. We already have that setting working for linux server using syslog. With this setting(on LINUX) *.* @remote-host for sco I have this *.debug /usr/adm/syslog *.* ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polestar
3 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
PAM_NOLOGIN(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						    PAM_NOLOGIN(8)

NAME
pam_nologin - Prevent non-root users from login SYNOPSIS
pam_nologin.so [file=/path/nologin] [successok] DESCRIPTION
pam_nologin is a PAM module that prevents users from logging into the system when /var/run/nologin or /etc/nologinexists. The contents of the file are displayed to the user. The pam_nologin module has no effect on the root user's ability to log in. OPTIONS
file=/path/nologin Use this file instead the default /var/run/nologin or /etc/nologin. successok Return PAM_SUCCESS if no file exists, the default is PAM_IGNORE. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and acct module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR The user is not root and /etc/nologin exists, so the user is not permitted to log in. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE This is the default return value. PAM_SUCCESS Success: either the user is root or the nologin file does not exist. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known to the underlying authentication module. EXAMPLES
The suggested usage for /etc/pam.d/login is: auth required pam_nologin.so NOTES
In order to make this module effective, all login methods should be secured by it. It should be used as a required method listed before any sufficient methods in order to get standard Unix nologin semantics. Note, the use of successok module argument causes the module to return PAM_SUCCESS and as such would break such a configuration - failing sufficient modules would lead to a successful login because the nologin module succeeded. SEE ALSO
nologin(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_nologin was written by Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_NOLOGIN(8)