Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: a issue with dup2
Top Forums Programming a issue with dup2 Post 302283815 by vovan on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 05:42:53 AM
Old 02-04-2009
a issue with dup2

Hi,

i have in one program such a pice of code

static int old_stderr_handle = -1;
static int old_stdout_handle = -1;

log_handle = open(log_file_name,O_CREAT|O_RDWR,932);

old_stderr_handle = dup(STDERR_FILENO);

if (dup2(log_handle,STDERR_FILENO) < 0)
{
// print error
}

old_stdout_handle = dup(STDOUT_FILENO);

if (dup2(log_handle,STDOUT_FILENO) < 0)
{
// print error
}

close ( old_stderr_handle );
close ( old_stdout_handle);

I build this program with Insure ( a tool ) after this i run it and in the log file
i found a message like

(Thread 0) **USER_ERROR**
>> if (dup2(log_handle,STDERR_FILENO) < 0)

Attempt to implicitly close Insure++ internal file descriptor 2 in dup2() ignored

**Memory corrupted. Program may crash!!**

Can somebody explain why? Smilie

thanks.

Last edited by vovan; 02-04-2009 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: some sintax errors fixed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Understanding the purpose of dup/dup2

I'm having difficulty understanding the purposes of using dup/dup2 when involving forks. for example, if we call fork() once, that is, we are creating a child process. In what cases would we need to use dup or dup2 to duplicate the file descriptors for standard output and standard error? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dup2 filedescriptor redirecting output

int redirect() { int fd,rc; fd = open("sample.DAT",O_CREAT | O_RDWR , 00777 ); rc = dup2(fd , 1 ) ; close (fd ); return 0; } I used the above to redirect all the cout statements to sample.DAT. process is redirecting the output and I had two questions 1. All stdout/cout statements... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ISSUE and ISSUE.NET files

In LINUX(CentOS, RedHat) is there a way to have the banner statement appear before the logon instead of after the logon? In UNIX and Windows the banner appears before a person actually logs on, what I'm seeing in LINUX is that it appears after the login(ftp, telnet, SSH). Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejjones
0 Replies

5. Programming

Implementation of dup2

Hi all,I'm reading <Advanced programming in the UNIX environment>,that book asked the reader to implement a function which has same functions with dup2 without calling fcntl.Could anyone give me a tip?Any help will be appreciated.:) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMagoo22
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dup2 - for file descriptor opened by a different process

is it possible to duplicate file descriptors(opened by a different process) with the help of dup or dup2. the two process do not share parent child relationship as well. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replytoshishir
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Troubles with pipes, fork, and dup2

I want to execute metasploit by two pipes to communicate with it, but I have troubles with that communication. When I run my program, I get this error: "stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device" and I don't receive the metasploit promt. just select an exploit. This is my code:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dano88
2 Replies

10. Programming

C++ stuck with dup2 and pipe

What this code should do is: there are parent.cpp and child.cpp. Parent will send whatever is in the buffer to child and child will send back whatever received to parent. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am confused what is missing in the parent and what else I should include into the child.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramono
1 Replies
DUP(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    DUP(2)

NAME
dup, dup2, dup3 - duplicate a file descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int dup(int oldfd); int dup2(int oldfd, int newfd); #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <unistd.h> int dup3(int oldfd, int newfd, int flags); DESCRIPTION
These system calls create a copy of the file descriptor oldfd. dup() uses the lowest-numbered unused descriptor for the new descriptor. dup2() makes newfd be the copy of oldfd, closing newfd first if necessary, but note the following: * If oldfd is not a valid file descriptor, then the call fails, and newfd is not closed. * If oldfd is a valid file descriptor, and newfd has the same value as oldfd, then dup2() does nothing, and returns newfd. After a successful return from one of these system calls, the old and new file descriptors may be used interchangeably. They refer to the same open file description (see open(2)) and thus share file offset and file status flags; for example, if the file offset is modified by using lseek(2) on one of the descriptors, the offset is also changed for the other. The two descriptors do not share file descriptor flags (the close-on-exec flag). The close-on-exec flag (FD_CLOEXEC; see fcntl(2)) for the duplicate descriptor is off. dup3() is the same as dup2(), except that: * The caller can force the close-on-exec flag to be set for the new file descriptor by specifying O_CLOEXEC in flags. See the description of the same flag in open(2) for reasons why this may be useful. * If oldfd equals newfd, then dup3() fails with the error EINVAL. RETURN VALUE
On success, these system calls return the new descriptor. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EBADF oldfd isn't an open file descriptor, or newfd is out of the allowed range for file descriptors. EBUSY (Linux only) This may be returned by dup2() or dup3() during a race condition with open(2) and dup(). EINTR The dup2() or dup3() call was interrupted by a signal; see signal(7). EINVAL (dup3()) flags contain an invalid value. Or, oldfd was equal to newfd. EMFILE The process already has the maximum number of file descriptors open and tried to open a new one. VERSIONS
dup3() was added to Linux in version 2.6.27; glibc support is available starting with version 2.9. CONFORMING TO
dup(), dup2(): SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. dup3() is Linux-specific. NOTES
The error returned by dup2() is different from that returned by fcntl(..., F_DUPFD, ...) when newfd is out of range. On some systems dup2() also sometimes returns EINVAL like F_DUPFD. If newfd was open, any errors that would have been reported at close(2) time are lost. A careful programmer will not use dup2() or dup3() without closing newfd first. SEE ALSO
close(2), fcntl(2), open(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-10-09 DUP(2)