Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to install a new system from a usb key Post 302283776 by pludi on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 03:42:09 AM
Old 02-04-2009
Looks like a customized and automated Debian net-install to me. The initrd is the INITial RamDisk, which provides a minimal booting environment to the installer. It's usually a cpio archive (sometimes a formatted "device" file, used via Loopback), so it should be possible to dig around in there and change where it expects it's installation sources.
Another possibility might be to create a local mirror of the Debian repository and change the installation to use that as it's source, so you'll only have to download the packages once (and maybe some of them again if you want to update).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy a usb key

How would I write a script to copy a USB key? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
1 Replies

2. SCO

How to Install and Configure USB Printer in SCO 6

I'm new in SCO 6. I installed SCO 6 with NIC driver Properly. But I cann't install and Configure USB Printer In SCO 6. Any one help me? email: address deleted by the moderator (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karzon
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where is my USB key?

Hi everybody, When I plug a USB key to my debian, where can I access the files? I don't have any user interface, what commands do I have to run to find the files in my USB key? Thanks for your help. Santiago (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

Looking for help with creating bootable USB key

I am currently trying to create a bootable USB key that I can use to boot a couple different X86 single slot processors. Creating a basic key is as easy as can be but I am looking to customize this boot image to meet two important criteria: 1. The system must boot in text only mode as my only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingfish1760
4 Replies

5. Linux

How to install linux in a system without cdrom, usb boot, floppy, other OS?

Hello to everyone, I am new to linux and I want to move to this system after bad experiences with windows. I have also a particular problem. An old laptop is probably able to handle just linux at this point of its life. The cdrom is gone, the bios doesn't have usb boot support, there is no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: highkftj
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to install fedora 13 from a usb media....it should not like 'live'?

im using Dell Inspiron with windows 7 as operating system.....in my hard drive there is some 34 gb unpartitioned space and now i want to install fedora 13 into it, after installation it should be dual boot. problem here is... i have the fedora 13 image file ie fedora13-i386-DVD.iso file. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik437
13 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Install deb from alternate usb

I installed a command-line system ubuntu 12.04 from usb and that's work. I don't have a internet connection so what I have to install must come from the alternate usb until I can let work my wireless. I mount the usb to /media/cdrom but when I do sudo apt-get install xorg , then he ask me for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11 install via live usb

Hello All, I am attempting to boot and install Solaris 11 via live USB on a HP DL580 Gen9 Server. Unfortunately, when I do this it boots into System Maintenance Mode. The attachment (Pic1) shows what I am seeing via the console. The BIOS is in UEFI boot. Does not work on legacy mode as I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kerbi
15 Replies

9. Solaris

Can't install 11.3 from USB on 5220

Hi, I have T5220 sparc server and I want to install Solaris 11.3 on that. From notes, I know that 11.4 will not be supported. It is old server, which had hardware RAID (with SAS card). I removed connection from that card and directly inserted both cables on motherboard because I want to get rid... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
installer(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     installer(1M)

NAME
installer - Solaris Web Start installer utility SYNOPSIS
installer [-locales list] [-nodisplay] [-noconsole] [-debug] DESCRIPTION
The installer utility invokes a Web Start install wizard sequence which will lead the user through a sequence of installation panels. This installer utility is found on many CDs that are shipped with Solaris and it will be found among the top level files of these CDs. When the installer is on a CD being accessed from a desktop file manager, the installer can be double clicked to start the installation sequence. If the user is not currently the system's root user, the root user password will be requested. The installer utility can also be run from other UNIX scripts. Usually, a script is used in conjunction with the utility's -nodis- play option. Add the -noconsole option for non-interactive scripts. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -locales list Selects product translations for install, corresponding to the specified list of locales if the specified locale transla- tions are present on the installation media. Locales are supplied in a comma-separated list following the -locales option. An example list would appear as follows: installer -locales fr,de,it This would install products with translations for the French, German, and Italian locales. -nodisplay Runs the install without a graphical user interface. Use the default product install unless it was modified by the -locales options. -noconsole Run the install without any interactive text console device. Useful when paired with -nodisplay for non-interactive UNIX script use. -debug Outputs extra information about what the install is doing. Mainly for install diagnostic purposes. FILES
/var/sadm/install/logs location of installation log files SEE ALSO
prodreg(1M) SunOS 5.10 11 December 2001 installer(1M)