Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Return vs. Echo
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return vs. Echo Post 302283648 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 05:44:03 PM
Old 02-03-2009
There is no similarity between them: echo prints its arguments to stdout; return sets a return code which may be tested directly (by if or a control operator, && or ||) or indirectly in the contents of $?.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return the last echo in remsh !!!!

Hi, I have a question: the script A run in the HostA call the script B on the HostB: ex.. ksh:B ....... ........ ........ remsh HostB ec........ ...... ...... the prog.B on the host B make more function but the last command is echo of srting : ex ksk script B .... ...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo 2 txt files to screen no carraige return

I have two text files, each of then only containing ONE line and NO carraige return or white space at the end...how do I echo both of these text files to the screen without putting an extra line? I want to do this from the command line. file1.txt: this is file1.txt 1 file2.txt: this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. AIX

Return code 1 when echo to pipe

Hello, Our AIX box has recently been upgraded to TL12 (oslevel -s = 5300-12-04-1119). Now one of our ksh scripts is returning 1 when writing to a pipe, the command to write to the pipe is: echo "A" "B" "C" >> /usr/Pipe.Pipe Anyone have any ideas? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dendright
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If echo statement return false

I have this code that sometimes return a false value and the code inside the if statement gets executed and error out. Any idea why? thanks. So I set a debug and see what the value for $ScriptElapsedTime Here is the value I got ScriptElapsedTime='03:20'. Base on this value the if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nugent
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
Debugging(3m17n)						 The m17n Library						  Debugging(3m17n)

NAME
Debugging - Support for m17n library users to debug their programs. Functions MCharTable * mdebug_dump_chartab (MCharTable *table, int indent) Dump a chartable. MFace * mdebug_dump_face (MFace *face, int indent) Dump a face. MFont * mdebug_dump_font (MFont *font) Dump a font. MFontset * mdebug_dump_fontset (MFontset *fontset, int indent) Dump a fontset. MInputMethod * mdebug_dump_im (MInputMethod *im, int indent) Dump an input method. int mdebug_hook () Hook function called on an error. MText * mdebug_dump_mtext (MText *mt, int indent, int fullp) Dump an M-text. MPlist * mdebug_dump_plist (MPlist *plist, int indent) Dump a property list. MSymbol mdebug_dump_symbol (MSymbol symbol, int indent) Dump a symbol. MSymbol mdebug_dump_all_symbols (int indent) Dump all symbol names. Detailed Description Support for m17n library users to debug their programs. The m17n library provides the following facilities to support the library users to debug their programs. o Environment variables to control printing of various information to stderr. o MDEBUG_INIT -- If set to 1, print information about the library initialization on the call of M17N_INIT(). o MDEBUG_FINI -- If set to 1, print counts of objects that are not yet freed on the call of M17N_FINI(). o MDEBUG_CHARSET -- If set to 1, print information about charsets being loaded from the m17n database. o MDEBUG_CODING -- If set to 1, print information about coding systems being loaded from the m17n database. o MDEBUG_DATABASE -- If set to 1, print information about data being loaded from the m17n database. o MDEBUG_FONT -- If set to 1, print information about fonts being selected and opened. o MDEBUG_FLT -- If set to 1, 2, or 3, print information about which command of Font Layout Table are being executed. The bigger number prints the more detailed information. o MDEBUG_INPUT -- If set to 1, print information about how an input method is running. o MDEBUG_ALL -- Setting this variable to 1 is equivalent to setting all the above variables to 1. o MDEBUG_OUTPUT_FILE -- If set to a file name, the above debugging information is appended to the file. If set to 'stdout', the information is printed to stdout. o Functions to print various objects in a human readable way. See the documentation of mdebug_dump_XXXX() functions. o The hook function called on an error. See the documentation of mdebug_hook(). Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for The m17n Library from the source code. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 Debugging(3m17n)