Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting count characters in specific records Post 302283421 by littleboyblu on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 10:06:44 AM
Old 02-03-2009
count characters in specific records

I have a text file which represents a http flow like this:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK 
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:16:24 GMT 
Server: Apache 
Last-Modified: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:08:03 GMT 
Accept-Ranges: bytes 
Cache-Control: max-age=540 
Expires: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:21:31 GMT 
Vary: Accept-Encoding 
Content-Encoding: gzip 
Content-Length: 1276 
Keep-Alive: timeout=1, max=198 
Connection: Keep-Alive 
Content-Type: application/x-javascript 

.4..5...5...>...>.m.....>.Y..?...i...W....X.....&..3}..C}0...3kt.{.k.l....@..........=`...=...e
.g.w.{i.a.,~...Gy..[..s...Bo=.An.$.........m..6j..j....
Dy..Z..:a...m.....qQ...Y&F.Q..*.`<3.uO<....2.3hA.PG4.}:*o..2.z..T..PL<QUX....j........b.%.2.....].v..Nq..iK..S..d..q....9w<.\...............p.9w.v."~......#.'...M.Ju.........n...z.H%Ae..a...[R...rX....k.:.EM..j.W.Z\5..K.v....!n.)..K..JQVT0..X?{v..Bm.......rN?.>>....0..s....*.+....Q.^.#..g.^G.I........;.a..fq......^....S..?g.k[^JE...9+.....HTTP/1.1 200 OK 
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:16:24 GMT 
Server: Apache 
Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:38:18 GMT 
Accept-Ranges: bytes 
Content-Length: 1903 
Cache-Control: max-age=604800 
Expires: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:08:23 GMT 
Keep-Alive: timeout=1, max=197 
Connection: Keep-Alive 
Content-Type: image/jpeg 

......JFIF.....x.x.....C..............

I need to count characters (bytes) in packet payloads. I noticed that if a packet has a payload this is after a blank line following the headers. It is possible that a new header is attached to a preceding packet as shown in the example. I need an output like this:

pkt1 payload size
pkt2 payload size
....... ........
pktn payload size

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Count Records with not null

Hi, I have a pipe seperated file I want to write a code to display count of lines that have 20th field not null. nawk -F"|" '{if ($20!="") print NR,$20}' xyz..txt This displays records with 20th field also null. I would like output as: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count particular type of records

Hi, I have a huge file containing thousands of records which are of following pattern: TYPE1 { originNodeType : "IVR" originHostName : "AAIVR" originTransactionID : "01310559" originTimeStamp : "20110620192440+0530" hostName : "hhhh" voucher : '0'D rProfileID : "ZZZZ" Before {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhukar1anand
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count records in a block

Hi, We have a file that has a structure like this: H10 1 2 3 D10 1 D20 1 2 3 D20 3 4 5 D20 4 5 6 D10 2 D20 1 2 3 D20 3 4 5 D20 4 5 6 S10 10 H10 1 2 3 D10 1 D20 1 2 3 D20 3 4 5 D20 4 5 6 D10 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find records with specific characters in 2 nd field

Hi , I have a requirement to read a file ( 5 fields , ~ delimited) and find the records which contain anything other than Alphabets, Numbers , comma ,space and dot . ie a-z and A-Z and 0-9 and . and " " and , in 2nd field. Once I do that i would want the result to have field1|<flag> flag can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
2 Replies
function::ctime

FUNCTION:(3stap)					      Time utility functions						  FUNCTION:(3stap)

NAME
function::ctime - Convert seconds since epoch into human readable date/time string SYNOPSIS
ctime:string(epochsecs:long) ARGUMENTS
epochsecs Number of seconds since epoch (as returned by gettimeofday_s) DESCRIPTION
Takes an argument of seconds since the epoch as returned by gettimeofday_s. Returns a string of the form "Wed Jun 30 21:49:08 1993" The string will always be exactly 24 characters. If the time would be unreasonable far in the past (before what can be represented with a 32 bit offset in seconds from the epoch) the returned string will be "a long, long time ago...". If the time would be unreasonable far in the future the returned string will be "far far in the future..." (both these strings are also 24 characters wide). Note that the epoch (zero) corresponds to "Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970" The earliest full date given by ctime, corresponding to epochsecs -2147483648 is "Fri Dec 13 20:45:52 1901". The latest full date given by ctime, corresponding to epochsecs 2147483647 is "Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038". The abbreviations for the days of the week are 'Sun', 'Mon', 'Tue', 'Wed', 'Thu', 'Fri', and 'Sat'. The abbreviations for the months are 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Mar', 'Apr', 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Oct', 'Nov', and 'Dec'. Note that the real C library ctime function puts a newline (' ') character at the end of the string that this function does not. Also note that since the kernel has no concept of timezones, the returned time is always in GMT. SystemTap Tapset Reference May 2013 FUNCTION:(3stap)