Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add directory to TAR file whitout files. Post 302283384 by wisobe on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 08:26:16 AM
Old 02-03-2009
It seems like it is quite difficult to do this.

I decided to exlude those directories from the TAR. They will be created with another script.

Thank you all for your help !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract tar files without creating directory

I received a tar file of a directory with 50,000 files in it. Is it possible to extract the files in the tar file without first creating the directory? ie. Doing tar -xvf filename.tar extracts as follows: x directory/file1.txt x directory/file2.txt . . . I would like to avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add files to an existing tar file - HP-UNIX

Hello, What is the command to add files to an existing tar file. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zipping all the tar files to singlr file in directory

Hi, i have more than 300 tar files in directory and i want to zip all tar files to single file. could anybody tell me the command since i know how to do zip for single tar file: bash-3.00$gzip 2008_11_10.tar bash-3.00$ pwd /oracle1/archivebackup in this directory i have lot files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar all executable file in a directory

Dear all I want to create a tar file which contains all executable files in a specific directory cd /appl/home/ file some_exe some_exe: 64-bit XCOFF executable or object module not stripped My current approach is to tar it one by one tar -cvf test.tar exefile1 tar -uvf test.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: on9west
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar files in directory

can someone give me a script to tar files that is older than 5 days in a directory that is not something like this: fileArray=($(find -mtime +5 asdfasdf)) tar -cvf asfadfasdfa ${fileArray} as the Unix I'm using has some problem with ($( )), I need another way to tar files in the folder.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s3270226
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract files from tar ball without directory structure

Hi, I have tar filw which has multiple directories which contain files. When i extract using tar -xf the directory structure also get extracted. I require only files and not directory structures as there will be overhead of moving the files again. So i searched here and got a solution but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

9. AIX

Making Tar of directory and tar file is going to be placed

Quick question, is it possible to make a Tar of completely directory and placing the tar file in it (will this cause even the tar file to tarred ?) sample: /opt/freeware/bin/tar -cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle/backup.tgz will the tar file backup.tgz also include backup.tgz ? i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can i add each line from a txt file to different files in the same directory?

Hello, this is my first thread here :) So i have a text file that contains words in each line like abcd efgh ijkl mnop and i have 4 txt files, i want to add each line to each file, like file 1 gets abcd at the end; file 2 gets efgh at the end .... I tried with: cat test | while read -r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: azaiiez
6 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)