Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers extracting text and reusing the text to rename file Post 302283338 by JohnDS on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 05:43:50 AM
Old 02-03-2009
Hi again
I know why the output is not correct. The file I sent you only had one occurrence of the 14 (09 01 932688 0)t.
The one I want to process got multiple. Is there someone who knows how I get only the first occurrence?
When I just run: sed -n -e 's/ /_/g' -e '/14/s/.*14_(\([0-9][_0-9]*\).*/\1.ps/gp' *.ps then I get the following:
09_01_932699_0.ps
09_01_932699_0.ps
09_01_932699_0.ps
5_.ps
5_.ps
5_.ps
09_01_932699_0.ps
5_.ps
09_01_932699_0.ps
5_.ps
5_.ps
5_.ps
09_01_932699_0.ps
5_.ps

I would like to have only the first 09_01_932699_0.ps

Best Regards,
John

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a line in a text file

If my file looks like this…. 10 20 30 and I want to take each line individually and put it in a variable so it can be read later in it's on individual test statement, how can I do that? I guess what I'm asking is how can I extract each line individually. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terryporter51
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific text from a file

Dear All, I have to extract a a few lines from a log file and I know the starting String and end string(WHich is same ). Is there any simplere way using sed - awk. e.g. from the following file -------------------------------------- Some text Date: 21 Oct 2008 Text to be extracted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkav
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting part of a text file

Hi guys So I have a very large log file where each event is logged along with the time that it occurred. So for e.g. The contents of the file look like: ... 12:00:07 event 0 happened. 12:01:01 event 1 happened. 12:01:05 event 2 happened. 12:01:30 event 3 happened. 12:02:01 event 4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting the last column of a text file

I would like to extract the last column of a text file but different rows of the text file have different numbers of columns. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help extracting text from file

Hello I have a large file with lines beginning with 552, 553, 554, below is a small sample, I need to extract the data you can see below highlighted in bold from this file on the same location on every line and output it to a new file. Thank you in advance for any help 55201KL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text from within a section of text using AWK

I have a command which returns the below output. How can I write a script to extract mainhost and secondhost from this output and put it into an array? I may sometimes have more hosts like thirdhost. I am redirecting this output to a variable. So I guess there should be a awk or sed command to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting and copying text from one file to another

Helooo, So I have a .fasta file (a text file with sequence data) which looks like this, with just over 3 million lines of data. >TCONS_00000001 gene=XLOC_000001 AATTGTGGTGAAATGACTTCTGTTAACGGAGACATCGATGATTGTTGTTACTATTTGTTCTCAGGATTCA... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
MB_STRRICHR(3)								 1							    MB_STRRICHR(3)

mb_strrichr - Finds the last occurrence of a character in a string within another, case insensitive

SYNOPSIS
string mb_strrichr (string $haystack, string $needle, [bool $part = false], [string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
mb_strrichr(3) finds the last occurrence of $needle in $haystack and returns the portion of $haystack. Unlike mb_strrchr(3), mb_strrichr(3) is case-insensitive. If $needle is not found, it returns FALSE. PARAMETERS
o $haystack - The string from which to get the last occurrence of $needle o $needle - The string to find in $haystack o $part - Determines which portion of $haystack this function returns. If set to TRUE, it returns all of $haystack from the beginning to the last occurrence of $needle. If set to FALSE, it returns all of $haystack from the last occurrence of $needle to the end, o $encoding - Character encoding name to use. If it is omitted, internal character encoding is used. RETURN VALUES
Returns the portion of $haystack. or FALSE if $needle is not found. SEE ALSO
mb_stristr(3), mb_strrchr(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_STRRICHR(3)