Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX kernel type?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX kernel type? Post 302283196 by Perderabo on Monday 2nd of February 2009 09:16:41 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Every unix kernel I know is monolithic. But there are (or were) a few close cousins that were microkernels.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

k_trap - kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E

HELP is urgently required, I run on SCO Unix 3 and this is the panic message that I get every time that I reboot 10U k_trap - kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E I have checked the swap already having the following results: #swap -l path dev swaplo blocks free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_slb
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

you have more and one unix type?

As a formem unix newbe I Just wanted to tell you about this cool site for all you confused people. If you need to support more than one unix type: Use this one. It's a life saver. http://www.unixguide.net/unixguide.shtml here (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunbird
4 Replies

3. Linux

Processsor and Kernel type.

If I upgrade my PII motherboard/processor to a Sempron Mobo/processor, do I *HAVE* to make another kernel, or can I still use my current 686 kernel? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

4. Programming

Platform type in Unix

Hi all, How does one get the platform type in UNIX (for e.g. sparc/i386)? I need an function call and not the command like uname -p. thanks! (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
24 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I know what type of shells are available in my Unix system?

How do I know what type of shells are available in my Unix system? Are there a single command or environment variable that can let me find that out? Best regards, John Chan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuhang2
7 Replies

6. SCO

PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E

Hi, i'm another question: I'm a directory /usr/data on my server sco unix 5.0.5: # du /usr/data 4386948 /usr/data I'm tried to connect to ftp directory /usr/data to this server and: PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E Cannot dump 262040 pages to dumpdev hd(1/41):space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sebpes
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix version/type

Hi, How can I find out what unix I am using? Thanks C19 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check which type of storage is used in unix

SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 how can i check the storage type being used in unix solaris sparc system? please help me its urgnet.. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aesgs
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to check which type of storage is used in unix

how can i check the storage type being used in unix solaris sparc system? please help me its urgnet.. thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aesgs
4 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Type of UNIX applications

Hello, We are planning a migration from UNIX (HP-UX, AIX, Solaris) to Linux on AZURE. I know it sounds like extremely complicated :( That's why we need your help :) We are at the beggining of stage. We need to categorize the types of applications (software) that generally runs on UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anton.robidson
3 Replies
DMESG(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DMESG(1)

NAME
dmesg - print or control the kernel ring buffer SYNOPSIS
dmesg [-c] [-r] [-n level] [-s bufsize] DESCRIPTION
dmesg is used to examine or control the kernel ring buffer. The program helps users to print out their bootup messages. Instead of copying the messages by hand, the user need only: dmesg > boot.messages and mail the boot.messages file to whoever can debug their problem. OPTIONS
-c Clear the ring buffer contents after printing. -r Print the raw message buffer, i.e., don't strip the log level prefixes. -s bufsize Use a buffer of size bufsize to query the kernel ring buffer. This is 16392 by default. (The default kernel syslog buffer size was 4096 at first, 8192 since 1.3.54, 16384 since 2.1.113.) If you have set the kernel buffer to be larger than the default then this option can be used to view the entire buffer. -n level Set the level at which logging of messages is done to the console. For example, -n 1 prevents all messages, except panic messages, from appearing on the console. All levels of messages are still written to /proc/kmsg, so syslogd(8) can still be used to control exactly where kernel messages appear. When the -n option is used, dmesg will not print or clear the kernel ring buffer. When both options are used, only the last option on the command line will have an effect. SEE ALSO
syslogd(8) AVAILABILITY
The dmesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. DMESG(1)