Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX kernel type?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX kernel type? Post 302283196 by Perderabo on Monday 2nd of February 2009 09:16:41 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Every unix kernel I know is monolithic. But there are (or were) a few close cousins that were microkernels.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

k_trap - kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E

HELP is urgently required, I run on SCO Unix 3 and this is the panic message that I get every time that I reboot 10U k_trap - kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E I have checked the swap already having the following results: #swap -l path dev swaplo blocks free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_slb
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

you have more and one unix type?

As a formem unix newbe I Just wanted to tell you about this cool site for all you confused people. If you need to support more than one unix type: Use this one. It's a life saver. http://www.unixguide.net/unixguide.shtml here (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunbird
4 Replies

3. Linux

Processsor and Kernel type.

If I upgrade my PII motherboard/processor to a Sempron Mobo/processor, do I *HAVE* to make another kernel, or can I still use my current 686 kernel? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

4. Programming

Platform type in Unix

Hi all, How does one get the platform type in UNIX (for e.g. sparc/i386)? I need an function call and not the command like uname -p. thanks! (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
24 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I know what type of shells are available in my Unix system?

How do I know what type of shells are available in my Unix system? Are there a single command or environment variable that can let me find that out? Best regards, John Chan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuhang2
7 Replies

6. SCO

PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E

Hi, i'm another question: I'm a directory /usr/data on my server sco unix 5.0.5: # du /usr/data 4386948 /usr/data I'm tried to connect to ftp directory /usr/data to this server and: PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E Cannot dump 262040 pages to dumpdev hd(1/41):space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sebpes
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix version/type

Hi, How can I find out what unix I am using? Thanks C19 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check which type of storage is used in unix

SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 how can i check the storage type being used in unix solaris sparc system? please help me its urgnet.. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aesgs
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to check which type of storage is used in unix

how can i check the storage type being used in unix solaris sparc system? please help me its urgnet.. thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aesgs
4 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Type of UNIX applications

Hello, We are planning a migration from UNIX (HP-UX, AIX, Solaris) to Linux on AZURE. I know it sounds like extremely complicated :( That's why we need your help :) We are at the beggining of stage. We need to categorize the types of applications (software) that generally runs on UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anton.robidson
3 Replies
INTRO(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  INTRO(9)

NAME
intro -- introduction to system kernel interfaces DESCRIPTION
This section contains information about the interfaces and subroutines in the kernel. PROTOTYPES ANSI-C AND ALL THAT Yes please. We would like all code to be fully prototyped. If your code compiles cleanly with cc -Wall we would feel happy about it. It is important to understand that this is not a question of just shutting up cc, it is a question about avoiding the things it complains about. To put it bluntly, do not hide the problem by casting and other obfuscating practices, solve the problem. INDENTATION AND STYLE
Believe it or not, there actually exists a guide for indentation and style. It is not generally applied though. We would appreciate if people would pay attention to it, and at least not violate it blatantly. We do not mind it too badly if you have your own style, but please make sure we can read it too. Please take time to read style(9) for more information. NAMING THINGS
Some general rules exist: 1. If a function is meant as a debugging aid in DDB, it should be enclosed in #ifdef DDB #endif /* DDB */ And the name of the procedure should start with the prefix DDB_ to clearly identify the procedure as a debugger routine. SCOPE OF SYMBOLS
It is important to carefully consider the scope of symbols in the kernel. The default is to make everything static, unless some reason requires the opposite. There are several reasons for this policy, the main one is that the kernel is one monolithic name-space, and pollution is not a good idea here either. For device drivers and other modules that do not add new internal interfaces to the kernel, the entire source should be in one file if possi- ble. That way all symbols can be made static. If for some reason a module is split over multiple source files, then try to split the module along some major fault-line and consider using the number of global symbols as your guide. The fewer the better. SEE ALSO
style(9) HISTORY
The intro section manual page appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. BSD
December 13, 1995 BSD