Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compress/decompress don't take you back to the same file Post 302283195 by chebarbudo on Monday 2nd of February 2009 09:10:55 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Thanks Lakris,
You are right. I knew very few about tars before I had this problem.
So I explored in details the content of the archives using
Code:
tar -tvf system.tgz > system.lst
tar -tvf system.01.tgz > system.01.lst
diff system.lst system.01.lst

1) Path, attributes and size are strictly identical before and after decompression/recompression.

2) Dates can be different:
- regular files, block and character devices, hard links and named pipes always keep the same date
- symbolic links never keep the same date. Actually they get the current time of decompression.
- I was not able to build any theory about directories

3) Owners are different in some cases. I assume that only UID/GID is kept for the owner. So if the archive comes from another system (which is my case), UID/GID can result in a different username/groupname.

If anyone has serious knowledge about tars, can he/she confirm what I said?
Can this explain the difference between the original archive and the one resulting of a decompression/recompression?

Thanks for your help
Santiago

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress more than one file

hi, I need to compress a couple files in a directory.i tried using tar cvf filename1 filename2 but i am not able to open tar file. please suggest how to compress more than one file in to same file thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasee
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress a .SP file

Hi to all, I'm new in this forum and I just need a quick answer from the experts out there, I have a 2761.sp file, in short a ".SP" file, it was given to me compressed, and I need to decompress it before Monday. I saw a software named Splint, but it shows an error, a DMI error message, so I dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeco
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decompress (with gunzip) recursively, but do not delete original gz file

Hi all, I have a folder hierarchy with many gz files in them. I would like to recursively decompress them, but keep the original files. I would also like to move all the decompressed files (these are very large HDF5 files with .CP12 extension) to another data folder. Currently I am using four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gansvv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I want to decompress a file.bin "firmware"

Please, help me Please, I want to decompress a file firmware for a 2000 SAT HD Please note that I use Version ubuntu 10.04 lts file name : .................. NxpRom.bin .................. Or How do I use and is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy2012
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar to decompress and to convert file to .dat format

tar -tvf abc.tar.gz gives me the file name abc.Is it possible to rename the file to abc.dat while decompressing using tar ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
2 Replies
LSBOM(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  LSBOM(8)

NAME
lsbom -- list contents of a bom file SYNOPSIS
lsbom [-b] [-c] [-d] [-f] [-l] [-m] [-s] [-x] [--arch archVal] [-p parameters] bom ... lsbom -h | --help DESCRIPTION
The lsbom command interprets the contents of binary bom (bom(5)) files. For each file in a bom, lsbom prints the file path and/or requested information. If no options are given, lsbom will display the output formatted such that each line contains the path of the entry, its mode (octal), and its UID/GID. There are slight differences in the output for plain files, directories, symbolic links, and device files as follows: plain files the UID/GID is followed by the file size and a 32-bit CRC checksum of the file's contents. symbolic links the UID/GID is followed by the size and checksum of the link path, and the link path itself. device files the UID/GID file number is followed by the device number. The -p option can be used to specify a user-defined format for lsbom's output. The format string consists of one or more characters described below where each character represents a data type. Data types will be separated by tab characters, and each line will end with a newline character. One can use this mechanism to create output similar to the ls(1) command. The options are: -h print full usage -b list block devices -c list character devices -d list directories -f list files -l list symbolic links -m print modified times (for plain files only) -s print only the path of each file -x suppress modes for directories and symlinks --arch archVal when displaying plain files that represent Universal Mach-O binaries, print the size and checksum of the file contents for the specified archVal (either "ppc", "ppc64", or "i386") -p parameters print only some of the results Note: each option can only be used once: c 32-bit checksum f file name F file name with quotes (i.e. "/mach_kernel") g group id G group name m file mode (permissions) M symbolic file mode (i.e. "dr-xr-xr-x" ) s file size S formatted size t mod time T formatted mod time u user id U user name / user id/group id ? user name/group name EXAMPLES
lsbom bomfile list the contents of bomfile lsbom -s bomfile list only the paths of the contents of the bomfile lsbom -f -l bomfile list the plain files and symbolic links of the bomfiles (but not directories or devices) lsbom -p MUGsf bomfiles list the contents of bomfile displaying only the files' modes, user name, group name, size, and filename SEE ALSO
bom(5), ditto(8), mkbom(8), pkgutil(1) HISTORY
The lsbom command appeared in NeXTSTEP as a tool to browse the contents of bom files used during installation. The -p flag appeared in Mac OS X 10.1 in an attempt to make lsbom's output more convenient for human beings. Mac OS X May 7, 2008 Mac OS X