Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compress/decompress don't take you back to the same file Post 302283195 by chebarbudo on Monday 2nd of February 2009 09:10:55 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Thanks Lakris,
You are right. I knew very few about tars before I had this problem.
So I explored in details the content of the archives using
Code:
tar -tvf system.tgz > system.lst
tar -tvf system.01.tgz > system.01.lst
diff system.lst system.01.lst

1) Path, attributes and size are strictly identical before and after decompression/recompression.

2) Dates can be different:
- regular files, block and character devices, hard links and named pipes always keep the same date
- symbolic links never keep the same date. Actually they get the current time of decompression.
- I was not able to build any theory about directories

3) Owners are different in some cases. I assume that only UID/GID is kept for the owner. So if the archive comes from another system (which is my case), UID/GID can result in a different username/groupname.

If anyone has serious knowledge about tars, can he/she confirm what I said?
Can this explain the difference between the original archive and the one resulting of a decompression/recompression?

Thanks for your help
Santiago

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress more than one file

hi, I need to compress a couple files in a directory.i tried using tar cvf filename1 filename2 but i am not able to open tar file. please suggest how to compress more than one file in to same file thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasee
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress a .SP file

Hi to all, I'm new in this forum and I just need a quick answer from the experts out there, I have a 2761.sp file, in short a ".SP" file, it was given to me compressed, and I need to decompress it before Monday. I saw a software named Splint, but it shows an error, a DMI error message, so I dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeco
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decompress (with gunzip) recursively, but do not delete original gz file

Hi all, I have a folder hierarchy with many gz files in them. I would like to recursively decompress them, but keep the original files. I would also like to move all the decompressed files (these are very large HDF5 files with .CP12 extension) to another data folder. Currently I am using four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gansvv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I want to decompress a file.bin "firmware"

Please, help me Please, I want to decompress a file firmware for a 2000 SAT HD Please note that I use Version ubuntu 10.04 lts file name : .................. NxpRom.bin .................. Or How do I use and is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy2012
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar to decompress and to convert file to .dat format

tar -tvf abc.tar.gz gives me the file name abc.Is it possible to rename the file to abc.dat while decompressing using tar ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
2 Replies
AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility(1)			      General Commands Manual			    AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility(1)

NAME
advzip - AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility SYNOPSIS
advzip [-a, --add] [-x, --extract] [-l, --list] [-z, --recompress] [-t, --test] [-0, --shrink-store] [-1, --shrink-fast] [-2, --shrink-normal] [-3, --shrink-extra] [-4, --shrink-insane] [-N, --not-zip] [-p, --pedantic] [-q, --quiet] [-h, --help] [-V, --version] ARCHIVES... [FILES...] DESCRIPTION
The main purpose of this utility is to recompress and test the zip archives to get the smallest possible size. For recompression the 7-Zip (www.7-zip.com) Deflate implementation is used. This implementation generally gives 5-10% more compression than the zLib Deflate implementation. For experimental purpose also the 7-Zip LZMA algorithm is available with the -N option. In this case, the generated zips WILL NOT BE USABLE by any other program. To make them usable you need to recompress them without the -N option. Generally this algorithm gives 10-20% more compression than the 7-Zip Deflate implementation. OPTIONS
-a, --add ARCHIVE FILES... Create the specified archive with the specified files. You must specify only one archive. -x, --extract ARCHIVE Extract all the files on the specified archive. You must specify only one archive. -l, --list ARCHIVES... List the content of the specified archives. -z, --recompress ARCHIVES... Recompress the specified archives. If the -1, -2, -3 options are specified, it's used the smallest file choice from: the previous compressed data, the new compression and the uncompressed format. If the -0 option is specified the archive is always rewritten without any compression. -t, --test ARCHIVES... Test the specified archives. The tests may be extended with the -p option. -N, --not-zip Use the LZMA algorithm when compressing. The generated zips will not be readable by any other application! -p, --pedantic Be pedantic on the zip tests. If this flag is enabled some more extensive tests on the zip integrity are done. These tests are gen- erally not done by other zip utilities. -0, --shrink-store Disable the compression. The file is only stored and not compressed. This option is very useful to expand the archives of .png and .mp3 files. These files are already compressed, trying to compress them another time is really a waste of time and resource. -1, --shrink-fast Set the compression level to "fast". -2, --shrink-normal Set the compression level to "normal". This is the default level of compression. -3, --shrink-extra Set the compression level to "extra". -4, --shrink-insane Set the compression level to "insane". COPYRIGHT
This file is Copyright (C) 2002 Andrea Mazzoleni, Filipe Estima SEE ALSO
advpng(1), advmng(1), advdef(1) AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility(1)