Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compress/decompress don't take you back to the same file Post 302283151 by chebarbudo on Monday 2nd of February 2009 05:09:25 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Question compress/decompress don't take you back to the same file

Hi there,
I have a file system.tgz. I want to make changes inside this archive but before that, I want to be sure I recompress it in the exact same format.
So I did the following:
Code:
me:~# # Duplicate the archive ---------------------------------
me:~# cp system.tgz system.01.tgz
me:~# ls -l system.tgz system.01.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 274650447 2009-02-02 22:41 system.01.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 274650447 2009-02-02 21:32 system.tgz
me:~#
me:~# # Unzip the archive -------------------------------------
me:~# mkdir system.01/
me:~# tar -zxf system.01.tgz -C system.01/
me:~# # Rezip the archive -------------------------------------
me:~# cd system.01/
me:~/system.01# tar -zcf system.01.tgz *
me:~/system.01# mv system.01.tgz ../
me:~/system.01# cd ..
me:~# # Compare with previous archive -------------------------
me:~# ls -l system.tgz system.01.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 274642873 2009-02-02 22:54 system.01.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 274650447 2009-02-02 21:32 system.tgz

As you can see, the archive is not exactly as it was. Maybe I'm not using the same compression level? But I have no idea how to set this parameter.
Thanks for your help.
Santiago

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress more than one file

hi, I need to compress a couple files in a directory.i tried using tar cvf filename1 filename2 but i am not able to open tar file. please suggest how to compress more than one file in to same file thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasee
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress a .SP file

Hi to all, I'm new in this forum and I just need a quick answer from the experts out there, I have a 2761.sp file, in short a ".SP" file, it was given to me compressed, and I need to decompress it before Monday. I saw a software named Splint, but it shows an error, a DMI error message, so I dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeco
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decompress (with gunzip) recursively, but do not delete original gz file

Hi all, I have a folder hierarchy with many gz files in them. I would like to recursively decompress them, but keep the original files. I would also like to move all the decompressed files (these are very large HDF5 files with .CP12 extension) to another data folder. Currently I am using four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gansvv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I want to decompress a file.bin "firmware"

Please, help me Please, I want to decompress a file firmware for a 2000 SAT HD Please note that I use Version ubuntu 10.04 lts file name : .................. NxpRom.bin .................. Or How do I use and is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy2012
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar to decompress and to convert file to .dat format

tar -tvf abc.tar.gz gives me the file name abc.Is it possible to rename the file to abc.dat while decompressing using tar ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
2 Replies
POSTINSTALL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    POSTINSTALL(8)

NAME
postinstall -- check and fix installation after system upgrades SYNOPSIS
postinstall [-a arch] [-d destdir] [-m machine] [-s {srcdir | tgzdir | tgzfile}] operation [item [...]] DESCRIPTION
The postinstall utility performs post-installation checks and/or fixes on a system's configuration files. It is especially useful after sys- tem upgrades, e.g. after updating from NetBSD 1.6.2 to NetBSD 2.0. The items to check or fix are divided in two groups: enabled by default and disabled by default. The latter are items that are dangerous for some reason, for example because they remove files which may be still in use. If no items are provided, the default checks or fixes are applied. Those which are disabled by default must be provided explicitly. Supported options: -a arch MACHINE_ARCH. Defaults to machine of the host operating system. -d destdir Destination directory to check. Defaults to /. -m machine MACHINE. Defaults to machine of the host operating system. -s {srcdir | tgzdir | tgzfile} The location of the reference files, or the NetBSD source files used to create the reference files. This may be speci- fied in one of three ways: -s srcdir The top level directory of the NetBSD source tree. By default this is /usr/src. -s tgzdir A directory in which reference files have been extracted from a binary distribution of NetBSD. The files that are distributed in the ``etc.tgz'' set file must be present. The files that are distributed in the ``xetc.tgz'' set file are optional. -s tgzfile The location of a set file (or ``tgz file'') such as ``etc.tgz'' or ``xetc.tgz'' from a binary distribu- tion of NetBSD. Each set file is a compressed archive containing reference files, which will be extracted to the temproot directory. Multiple -s options may be used to specify multiple set files. The ``etc.tgz'' set file must be specified. The ``xetc.tgz'' set file is optional. The operation argument may be one of: check Perform post-installation checks on items. diff [diff(1) options] Similar to check, but also show the differences between the files. fix Apply fixes that check determines need to be applied. Not all items can be automatically fixed by postinstall, and in some cases an error will be reported, after which manual intervention will be required. Conflicts between existing files in the target file system and new files from the NetBSD distribution are resolved by replac- ing the existing file with the new file; there is no attempt to merge the files. See etcupdate(8) for an alternative update method that is able to merge files. help Display a short help. list List available items, showing if they are enabled or disabled by default. usage Same as help. EXIT STATUS
The postinstall utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs or a problem was found. SEE ALSO
etcupdate(8) HISTORY
The postinstall utility first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. In NetBSD 4.0, the -s tgzfile option was added. In NetBSD 5.0, the ability to specify multiple colon-separated files with a single -s option was deprecated. BSD
October 4, 2008 BSD