Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep by column number
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep by column number Post 302283120 by Franklin52 on Monday 2nd of February 2009 03:43:07 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman247m
Ok well, i got the awk command working, but it's not doing exactly what I wanted. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my first post. I needed it to match even partial names within characters 12-26. So if I type "ohn" for example, it would return everyone with that string inside it.
Code:
awk '{s=substr($0,12,15);sub(/ *$/,"",s)}s ~ var' var="ohn" file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning a column number

Hi all, i was doing a small program where if i was to be given the first 3 letters of any month i.e. in the form of Jan or Apr then it would return the column number where it finds a match. To do this i created a 12 element array of months with first 3 letters and if i echo'ed the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying the column number

I'd like to be able to identify in which column a string occurs. So far I know that I can tell how many columns there are and how to return a specific column: $ sar -r | grep 'kbswpcad' | awk 'NF = 9 { print $NF }' %swpused I've even managed to get the columns to output to an array but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines for number greater than given number

Hello, I am newbie to bash scripting. Could someone help me with the following. I have log file with output as shown below **************************LOG************************* 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Pinging xx.xx.xx.xx with 32 bytes of data: 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meena_2013
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's

please write a shell script Table -------------------------- 1 2 3 a b c 3 4 5 c d e 7 8 9 f g h Output should be like this --------------- 1 2 3 3 4 5 7 8 9 a b c c d e f g h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record then how to split n number of colmn's line by line with records Table --------- Col1 col2 col3 col4 ....................col20 1 2 3 4 .................... 20 a b c d .................... v ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep A Column Based On Column Name

I have a file with two columns separated by white space. Dog Cat fido sneaky dopey poptart ears whisker barky herd Trying to list the words under the column named Dog. Tried a few variations of awk but can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract number from column

I have a lot of file with a lot of lines following the same pattern the lines go like this: alpha_9/output- -413.74928476 2.6116 and I want it to be: 9 -413.74928476 2.6116 thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galboski
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep values from column 2 in reference of column 1

Gents Is it possible to update the code to get the desired output files from the input list. I called variable to the first column. I need to consider the first column as key to grep the values in the second column according to the desired request. input list (attached ) output1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
12 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)