Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep by column number
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep by column number Post 302283107 by hitman247m on Monday 2nd of February 2009 02:45:38 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Ok well, i got the awk command working, but it's not doing exactly what I wanted. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my first post. I needed it to match even partial names within characters 12-26. So if I type "ohn" for example, it would return everyone with that string inside it.

Last edited by hitman247m; 02-02-2009 at 04:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning a column number

Hi all, i was doing a small program where if i was to be given the first 3 letters of any month i.e. in the form of Jan or Apr then it would return the column number where it finds a match. To do this i created a 12 element array of months with first 3 letters and if i echo'ed the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying the column number

I'd like to be able to identify in which column a string occurs. So far I know that I can tell how many columns there are and how to return a specific column: $ sar -r | grep 'kbswpcad' | awk 'NF = 9 { print $NF }' %swpused I've even managed to get the columns to output to an array but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines for number greater than given number

Hello, I am newbie to bash scripting. Could someone help me with the following. I have log file with output as shown below **************************LOG************************* 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Pinging xx.xx.xx.xx with 32 bytes of data: 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meena_2013
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's

please write a shell script Table -------------------------- 1 2 3 a b c 3 4 5 c d e 7 8 9 f g h Output should be like this --------------- 1 2 3 3 4 5 7 8 9 a b c c d e f g h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record then how to split n number of colmn's line by line with records Table --------- Col1 col2 col3 col4 ....................col20 1 2 3 4 .................... 20 a b c d .................... v ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep A Column Based On Column Name

I have a file with two columns separated by white space. Dog Cat fido sneaky dopey poptart ears whisker barky herd Trying to list the words under the column named Dog. Tried a few variations of awk but can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract number from column

I have a lot of file with a lot of lines following the same pattern the lines go like this: alpha_9/output- -413.74928476 2.6116 and I want it to be: 9 -413.74928476 2.6116 thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galboski
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep values from column 2 in reference of column 1

Gents Is it possible to update the code to get the desired output files from the input list. I called variable to the first column. I need to consider the first column as key to grep the values in the second column according to the desired request. input list (attached ) output1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
12 Replies
XkbNoteNameChanges(3)						   XKB FUNCTIONS					     XkbNoteNameChanges(3)

NAME
XkbNoteNameChanges - Note the changed names in a changes structure SYNOPSIS
void XkbNoteNameChanges (XkbNameChangesPtr old, XkbNamesNotifyEvent *new, unsigned int wanted); ARGUMENTS
- old XkbNameChanges structure to be updated - new event from which changes are to be copied - wanted types of names for which changes are to be noted DESCRIPTION
When your application receives a XkbNamesNotify event, you can note the changed names in a changes structure using XkbNoteNameChanges. The wanted parameter is the bitwise inclusive OR of the valid names mask bits shown in Table 1. XkbNoteNameChanges copies any changes that are reported in new and specified in wanted into the changes record specified by old. Table 1 Symbolic Names Masks --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mask Bit Value Keyboard Field Component --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- XkbKeycodesNameMask (1<<0) Xkb->names keycodes XkbGeometryNameMask (1<<1) Xkb->names geometry XkbSymbolsNameMask (1<<2) Xkb->names symbols XkbPhysSymbolsNameMask (1<<3) Xkb->names phys_symbols XkbTypesNameMask (1<<4) Xkb->names type XkbCompatNameMask (1<<5) Xkb->names compat XkbKeyTypeNamesMask (1<<6) Xkb->map type[*].name XkbKTLevelNamesMask (1<<7) Xkb->map type[*].lvl_names[*] XkbIndicatorNamesMask (1<<8) Xkb->names indicators[*] XkbKeyNamesMask (1<<9) Xkb->names keys[*], num_keys XkbKeyAliasesMask (1<<10) Xkb->names key_aliases[*], num_key_aliases XkbVirtualModNamesMask (1<<11) Xkb->names vmods[*] XkbGroupNamesMask (1<<12) Xkb->names groups[*] XkbRGNamesMask (1<<13) Xkb->names radio_groups[*], num_rg XkbComponentNamesMask (0x3f) Xkb->names keycodes, geometry, symbols, physical symbols, types, and compatibility map XkbAllNamesMask (0x3fff) Xkb->names all name components X Version 11 libX11 1.3.2 XkbNoteNameChanges(3)