Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Software RAID on Linux
Operating Systems Linux Software RAID on Linux Post 302283085 by otheus on Monday 2nd of February 2009 01:59:34 PM
Old 02-02-2009
That's a good point about Sata throughput and drive throughput. What you must consider, however, is that RAID tries to write 5 blocks to five different drives right after another. Each contoller gets the data, sends a write request, waits for it to finish, sends the next, etc. Each drive gets the SATA command, positions the head to the correct place, then writes the data. When done serially, this process can reduce your throughput from 90 MB/s to 18 MB/s (90/5).

Since the PCI bus is much faster than the SATA bus, the OS can send the data to multiple controllers by the time the first disk is about to write. Thus, the OS can take advantage of multiple SATA controllers. (It could be that some SATA PCI controllers have multiple busses and multiple drive controllers, which would be nice). But if you're fine with the 20 MB/s, then just a single controller is fine.

As far as partitions, leave /boot, /, and /usr on your 80 GB drive. I don't know why you need to separate /tmp from / unless you have a large need for /tmp space (which is very uncommon these days -- most programs use the current working directory for scratch space). If you have a need for /tmp, but that consists of lots of small data files, use a memory-based solution.

You almost won't need swap at all with 4+ GB. If you have one, keep it on the array, but not on the slower 80 gb drive.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Raid software besides Veritass

Hello Lunix people, I am looking for Raid software or solution besides Veritas. Veritas has some great software but are way too costly. Does anyone know of good raid software that but NOT Veritas. I need the funcations but not the cost. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtmeisel
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Software RAID ...

Hi all, I m just trying using software RAID in RHEL 4, without problem , then i wanna simulate if disk 1 is fail (thereis an bootloader), i plug off my 1st disk. My problems is the second disk cannot boot? just stuck in grub, the computer is hang. Sorry for poor concept in RAID? I use a RAID 1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Software RAID (0+1)

Hi! A couple of months ago a disk failed in our JBOD cabinett and I have finally got a new disk to replace it with. It was a RAID 0 so we have to create and configure the whole thing again. First we thought of RAID 1+0 but it seems you can't do this with LVM. If you read my last thread, you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Software RAID doubt

hi friends, I am having issues with adding a spare device to a failed array. I have created RAID 1 with 3 partitions using mdadm command. Later I added a spare with mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb6 This works fine and when I check this with mdadm --detail command it just sits there as a spare... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
7 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Software RAID

Hello, My company has inherited a Centos based machine that has 7 hard drives and a software based raid system. Supposedly one of the drives has failed. I need to replace the hardrive. How can I about telling which hard drive needs replacing? I have looked in the logs and there clearly is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Software RAID configuration

We have configured software based RAID5 with LVM on our RHEL5 servers. Please let us know if its good to configure software RAID on live environment servers. What can be the disadvantages of software RAID against hardware RAID (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitchnelson
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware to software RAID migration

We have hardware RAID configured on our T6320 server and two LDOMs are running on this server. One of our disk got failed and replaced. After replacemnt the newly installed disk not detected by RAID controlled so Oracle suggested to upgrade the REM firmware. As this is the standalone production... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
0 Replies
AMR(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    AMR(4)

NAME
amr -- MegaRAID SCSI/ATA/SATA RAID driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device amr Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): amr_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The amr driver provides support for LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI, ATA and SATA RAID controllers and legacy American Megatrends MegaRAID SCSI RAID controllers, including models relabeled and sold by Dell and Hewlett-Packard. LSI MegaRAID SAS controllers are supported by mfi(4) and will not work with this driver. HARDWARE
Controllers supported by the amr driver include: o MegaRAID SATA 150-4 o MegaRAID SATA 150-6 o MegaRAID SATA 300-4X o MegaRAID SATA 300-8X o MegaRAID SCSI 320-1E o MegaRAID SCSI 320-2E o MegaRAID SCSI 320-4E o MegaRAID SCSI 320-0X o MegaRAID SCSI 320-2X o MegaRAID SCSI 320-4X o MegaRAID SCSI 320-0 o MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 o MegaRAID SCSI 320-2 o MegaRAID SCSI 320-4 o MegaRAID Series 418 o MegaRAID i4 133 RAID o MegaRAID Elite 1500 (Series 467) o MegaRAID Elite 1600 (Series 493) o MegaRAID Elite 1650 (Series 4xx) o MegaRAID Enterprise 1200 (Series 428) o MegaRAID Enterprise 1300 (Series 434) o MegaRAID Enterprise 1400 (Series 438) o MegaRAID Enterprise 1500 (Series 467) o MegaRAID Enterprise 1600 (Series 471) o MegaRAID Express 100 (Series 466WS) o MegaRAID Express 200 (Series 466) o MegaRAID Express 300 (Series 490) o MegaRAID Express 500 (Series 475) o Dell PERC o Dell PERC 2/SC o Dell PERC 2/DC o Dell PERC 3/DCL o Dell PERC 3/QC o Dell PERC 4/DC o Dell PERC 4/IM o Dell PERC 4/SC o Dell PERC 4/Di o Dell PERC 4e/DC o Dell PERC 4e/Di o Dell PERC 4e/Si o Dell PERC 4ei o HP NetRAID-1/Si o HP NetRAID-3/Si (D4943A) o HP Embedded NetRAID o Intel RAID Controller SRCS16 o Intel RAID Controller SRCU42X DIAGNOSTICS
Driver initialisation/shutdown phase amr%d: memory window not available amr%d: I/O window not available The PCI BIOS did not allocate resources necessary for the correct operation of the controller. The driver cannot attach to this controller. amr%d: busmaster bit not set, enabling The PCI BIOS did not enable busmaster DMA, which is required for the correct operation of the controller. The driver has enabled this bit and initialisation will proceed. amr%d: can't allocate register window amr%d: can't allocate interrupt amr%d: can't set up interrupt amr%d: can't allocate parent DMA tag amr%d: can't allocate buffer DMA tag amr%d: can't allocate scatter/gather DMA tag amr%d: can't allocate s/g table amr%d: can't allocate mailbox tag amr%d: can't allocate mailbox memory A resource allocation error occurred while initialising the driver; initialisation has failed and the driver will not attach to this con- troller. amr%d: can't obtain configuration data from controller amr%d: can't obtain product data from controller The driver was unable to obtain vital configuration data from the controller. Initialisation has failed and the driver will not attach to this controller. amr%d: can't establish configuration hook amr%d: can't scan controller for drives The scan for logical drives managed by the controller failed. No drives will be attached. amr%d: device_add_child failed amr%d: bus_generic_attach returned %d Creation of the logical drive instances failed; attachment of one or more logical drives may have been aborted. amr%d: flushing cache... The controller cache is being flushed prior to shutdown or detach. Operational diagnostics amr%d: I/O beyond end of unit (%u,%d > %u) A partitioning error or disk corruption has caused an I/O request beyond the end of the logical drive. This may also occur if FlexRAID Vir- tual Sizing is enabled and an I/O operation is attempted on a portion of the virtual drive beyond the actual capacity available. amr%d: polled command timeout An initialisation command timed out. The initialisation process may fail as a result. amr%d: bad slot %d completed The controller reported completion of a command that the driver did not issue. This may result in data corruption, and suggests a hardware or firmware problem with the system or controller. amr%d: I/O error - %x An I/O error has occurred. SEE ALSO
cd(4), da(4), mfi(4), sa(4), scsi(4) AUTHORS
The amr driver was written by Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org> and Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
March 29, 2006 BSD