Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Evaluate the value of a variable? Post 302283066 by Ilja on Monday 2nd of February 2009 01:13:18 PM
Old 02-02-2009
Nice to know. Thank you.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get variable to re-evaluate itself?

Probably a simple one. Basically I am retrieving a number from a file - setting a variable against it and then incrementing this by 1 and using this as an entry number in a log file for messages. I need the variable to re-evalute itself each time I call it so I get the latest number in the file -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron does not evaluate the quotes

Hi all, I have a script that runs perfectly from cmd, but in the cron it gives a strange ':::::::::::::::' output instead of evaluating the part inside the quotes. this is the script: bash-3.00# more test #!/bin/ksh #-----swap--- TEMP_FILE=/HealthCheck/test/file.txt swap -s | tee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate string containing shell variable names

Hello, I have this: #!/usr/bin/ksh V1=ABC str="hello 123;${V1}" eval "echo $str" i get hello 123 /script.sh ABC not found However eval works if $str variable doesn't contain a semicolumn (eg if str="hello 123~${v1}" running the eval statement above would produce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endorphin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value of a variable ?

How to evaluate the value of a variable ? For example: a=var $a=value !!!error happens!!! I want to evaluate var=value, how to realize it? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:22 AM ---------- I am using linux bash. a=var $a=value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate expressions in file

I have a situation where i need to evaluate expression and do substitutions in file file.ports port1=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 1` port2=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 2` port3=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 3` Intended output If my STARINGPORT is 100 port1=101 port2=102 port3=103 Can anyone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasiharitha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does ||: evaluate?

In BASH, how does ||: get interpreted. I know || is logical or. And I believe : evaluates to true. Can someone give a thorough explanation for this usage? Example for i in $IGGY do && skipdb=1 || : (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Variable At Runtime

Hi, I am trying to set a variable that has time the format desired. And my intention is to echo variable (instead of actual date command) everytime I like to echo date. Please take a look at below code. $NOW='' echo $NOW After 5 minutes $echo $NOW Issue here is , I am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate a variable name on LHS of expression?

I am trying to write a simple function to select values from a database and assign them to variables. It can have any number of arguments sent into it, and I want to assign the value retrieved to a different variable name for each argument sent in. So my code looks something like this: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to evaluate expression under awk?

I have to display only those subscribers which are in "unconnected state" and the date is 90 days older than today's date. Below command is used for this purpose: cat vfsubscriber_20170817.csv | sed -e 's/^"//' -e '1d' | \ nawk -F '",' '{if ( (substr($11,2,4) == 2017) && ( substr($11,2,8)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dia
1 Replies
Symbol(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       Symbol(3pm)

NAME
Symbol - manipulate Perl symbols and their names SYNOPSIS
use Symbol; $sym = gensym; open($sym, "filename"); $_ = <$sym>; # etc. ungensym $sym; # no effect # replace *FOO{IO} handle but not $FOO, %FOO, etc. *FOO = geniosym; print qualify("x"), " "; # "main::x" print qualify("x", "FOO"), " "; # "FOO::x" print qualify("BAR::x"), " "; # "BAR::x" print qualify("BAR::x", "FOO"), " "; # "BAR::x" print qualify("STDOUT", "FOO"), " "; # "main::STDOUT" (global) print qualify(*x), " "; # returns *x print qualify(*x, "FOO"), " "; # returns *x use strict refs; print { qualify_to_ref $fh } "foo! "; $ref = qualify_to_ref $name, $pkg; use Symbol qw(delete_package); delete_package('Foo::Bar'); print "deleted " unless exists $Foo::{'Bar::'}; DESCRIPTION
"Symbol::gensym" creates an anonymous glob and returns a reference to it. Such a glob reference can be used as a file or directory handle. For backward compatibility with older implementations that didn't support anonymous globs, "Symbol::ungensym" is also provided. But it doesn't do anything. "Symbol::geniosym" creates an anonymous IO handle. This can be assigned into an existing glob without affecting the non-IO portions of the glob. "Symbol::qualify" turns unqualified symbol names into qualified variable names (e.g. "myvar" -> "MyPackage::myvar"). If it is given a second parameter, "qualify" uses it as the default package; otherwise, it uses the package of its caller. Regardless, global variable names (e.g. "STDOUT", "ENV", "SIG") are always qualified with "main::". Qualification applies only to symbol names (strings). References are left unchanged under the assumption that they are glob references, which are qualified by their nature. "Symbol::qualify_to_ref" is just like "Symbol::qualify" except that it returns a glob ref rather than a symbol name, so you can use the result even if "use strict 'refs'" is in effect. "Symbol::delete_package" wipes out a whole package namespace. Note this routine is not exported by default--you may want to import it explicitly. BUGS
"Symbol::delete_package" is a bit too powerful. It undefines every symbol that lives in the specified package. Since perl, for performance reasons, does not perform a symbol table lookup each time a function is called or a global variable is accessed, some code that has already been loaded and that makes use of symbols in package "Foo" may stop working after you delete "Foo", even if you reload the "Foo" module afterwards. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Symbol(3pm)