Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Evaluate the value of a variable? Post 302282948 by Franklin52 on Monday 2nd of February 2009 08:11:49 AM
Old 02-02-2009
More portable is to use eval:

Code:
eval echo \${$BAR}

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get variable to re-evaluate itself?

Probably a simple one. Basically I am retrieving a number from a file - setting a variable against it and then incrementing this by 1 and using this as an entry number in a log file for messages. I need the variable to re-evalute itself each time I call it so I get the latest number in the file -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron does not evaluate the quotes

Hi all, I have a script that runs perfectly from cmd, but in the cron it gives a strange ':::::::::::::::' output instead of evaluating the part inside the quotes. this is the script: bash-3.00# more test #!/bin/ksh #-----swap--- TEMP_FILE=/HealthCheck/test/file.txt swap -s | tee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate string containing shell variable names

Hello, I have this: #!/usr/bin/ksh V1=ABC str="hello 123;${V1}" eval "echo $str" i get hello 123 /script.sh ABC not found However eval works if $str variable doesn't contain a semicolumn (eg if str="hello 123~${v1}" running the eval statement above would produce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endorphin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value of a variable ?

How to evaluate the value of a variable ? For example: a=var $a=value !!!error happens!!! I want to evaluate var=value, how to realize it? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:22 AM ---------- I am using linux bash. a=var $a=value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate expressions in file

I have a situation where i need to evaluate expression and do substitutions in file file.ports port1=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 1` port2=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 2` port3=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 3` Intended output If my STARINGPORT is 100 port1=101 port2=102 port3=103 Can anyone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasiharitha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does ||: evaluate?

In BASH, how does ||: get interpreted. I know || is logical or. And I believe : evaluates to true. Can someone give a thorough explanation for this usage? Example for i in $IGGY do && skipdb=1 || : (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Variable At Runtime

Hi, I am trying to set a variable that has time the format desired. And my intention is to echo variable (instead of actual date command) everytime I like to echo date. Please take a look at below code. $NOW='' echo $NOW After 5 minutes $echo $NOW Issue here is , I am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate a variable name on LHS of expression?

I am trying to write a simple function to select values from a database and assign them to variables. It can have any number of arguments sent into it, and I want to assign the value retrieved to a different variable name for each argument sent in. So my code looks something like this: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to evaluate expression under awk?

I have to display only those subscribers which are in "unconnected state" and the date is 90 days older than today's date. Below command is used for this purpose: cat vfsubscriber_20170817.csv | sed -e 's/^"//' -e '1d' | \ nawk -F '",' '{if ( (substr($11,2,4) == 2017) && ( substr($11,2,8)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dia
1 Replies
eval(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   eval(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
eval - Evaluate a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
eval arg ?arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Eval takes one or more arguments, which together comprise a Tcl script containing one or more commands. Eval concatenates all its argu- ments in the same fashion as the concat command, passes the concatenated string to the Tcl interpreter recursively, and returns the result of that evaluation (or any error generated by it). Note that the list command quotes sequences of words in such a way that they are not further expanded by the eval command. EXAMPLES
Often, it is useful to store a fragment of a script in a variable and execute it later on with extra values appended. This technique is used in a number of places throughout the Tcl core (e.g. in fcopy, lsort and trace command callbacks). This example shows how to do this using core Tcl commands: set script { puts "logging now" lappend $myCurrentLogVar } set myCurrentLogVar log1 # Set up a switch of logging variable part way through! after 20000 set myCurrentLogVar log2 for {set i 0} {$i<10} {incr i} { # Introduce a random delay after [expr {int(5000 * rand())}] update ;# Check for the asynch log switch eval $script $i [clock clicks] } Note that in the most common case (where the script fragment is actually just a list of words forming a command prefix), it is better to | use {*}$script when doing this sort of invocation pattern. It is less general than the eval command, and hence easier to make robust in | practice. The following procedure acts in a way that is analogous to the lappend command, except it inserts the argument values at the start of the list in the variable: proc lprepend {varName args} { upvar 1 $varName var # Ensure that the variable exists and contains a list lappend var # Now we insert all the arguments in one go set var [eval [list linsert $var 0] $args] } However, the last line would now normally be written without eval, like this: | set var [linsert $var 0 {*}$args] | SEE ALSO
catch(n), concat(n), error(n), interp(n), list(n), namespace(n), subst(n), tclvars(n), uplevel(n) KEYWORDS
concatenate, evaluate, script Tcl eval(n)