Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX Boots straight to service mode Post 302282860 by funksen on Monday 2nd of February 2009 04:15:45 AM
Old 02-02-2009
there are two possibilities:

1. Machine Profile is set to boot into sms menu, change this on the hmc

2. Bootlist on the OS is set wrong

bosboot -a creates a new boot image, -M sets to Normal boot mode, thats ok, but you need to specify the boot devices

if you have a mirrored rootvg, on hdisk0 and hdisk1, use the command

bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1

(bootlist -m normal -o the see the current device order)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 433 boots into command line.

Hi All, I have an AIX 433 workstation that keeps booting into command mode. It was booting into CDE for a long time now. Suddenly now it boots into command line mode. No errors while booting up. Do not see anything in errpt. Don' t know where to start from.. Can any one please help me..thanks. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navinxavier
2 Replies

2. AIX

Enter in Service Mode

Hello I am newbie user and have got a Server (RS / 6000 H70). The vendor don't gave me the root password and the ip number, I can't enter en service mode. I pressed the button 5,1,6 in the terminal ASCII, but it does't responded. I use minicom with the specification on the manual documentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rinux
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Service Mode on XSCF

While entering to service mode on XSCF i getting following error XSCF> service Account is not enabled for service mode. What could be the reason for this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
5 Replies

4. AIX

Transferring files from one AIX server to another AIX server in binary mode

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX. We have 2 AIX5.3 servers in our environment, I need to transfer some files in Binary mode from one server to another and some files in ASCII mode from one server to another server. Could you please help me as to how I need to do that? Thanks, Rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshc.apps
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Samba service in maintenance mode ???

I have a Solaris 10 SunFire v880 machine and I'm having trouble with Samba. Samba has worked on this machine but since the machine has been re-booted Samba has not worked. Machine details are: cat /etc/release Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC Copyright 2008... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Helpme !! ssh service in maintenance mode

Hi Guys, Virtual Machine - Solaris 10 ssh service is in maintenance mode, when i tried to disable it it got disabled but when i enabling it ( svcadm enable ssh) it is coming in maintenance mode...... Pls help (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. Solaris

RPC bind service in maintenance mode

Hi, I have an issue with RPC bind service and its failing with status 1. any help would be much appreciated. THanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakub Humami
2 Replies

10. Solaris

SunOS sun4v sparc ntp service in maintenance mode.

Hi experts, This is a production server. Host information's are below SunOS hostname_srv 5.10 Generic_150400-09 sun4v sparc sun4v Now issue with ntp service, This host have zone in it with 9 hosts, Every hosts have ntp service issue. While i check for the service status it's in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
3 Replies
RCCONF(8)                                                        Debian GNU/Linux                                                        RCCONF(8)

NAME
rcconf - Debian Runlevel configuration tool SYNOPSIS
rcconf [options] DESCRIPTION
Rcconf allows you to control which services are started when the system boots up or reboots. It displays a menu of all the services which could be started at boot. The ones that are configured to do so are marked and you can toggle individual services on and off. Rcconf gets a list of services from /etc/init.d and looks in the /etc/rc?.d directories to determine whether each service is on or off. Rcconf detects ON state by existence of /etc/rc?.d/"S"NNname. If the number(NN of /etc/rc?.d/[SK]NNname) is not 20(default), rcconf saves the service name and the number in /var/lib/rcconf/services so as to be able to restore the service to its original configuration. If you purge rcconf package by 'dpkg --purge' or 'aptitude purge' or others, you may lose off state package due to deletion of /var/lib/rcconf/services. OPTIONS
--help Print out a usage message. --dialog Use dialog command to display menu --whiptail Use whiptail command to display menu --notermcheck Do not set window size by terminal property. --on service[,service,...] Set services to be on. This option enables rcconf in command line mode and no select menu will be displayed. --off service[,service,...] Set services to be off. This option enables rcconf in command line mode and no select menu will be displayed. --list List services which includes current status(on/off). This option enables rcconf in command line mode and no select menu will be displayed. Use --expert option together if you want to list all services. This result can be used as config_file of --config. --config config_file Set services on/off according to config_file. This option enables rcconf in command line mode and no select menu will be displayed. The format of this config file is "service_name on" or "service_name off" in each line. Refer to the result of --list. --expert Show and select all services for experts. In default, rcconf doesn't display system default services as a candidate such as mountall.sh to hide unnecessary services for users(but very important for system). The list of which services are considered expert can be found at the line @expertonly in /usr/sbin/rcconf. --now For each service that had the links changed, call the corresponding /etc/init.d/service-name script using invoke-rc.d, so the package starts or stops immediately. If you do not use this option, the changes will only take effect the next time you reboot (or change runlevel). --verbose Output verbose messages. Guide File Rcconf can display some description(Guide) for each services with Guide File. Guide File is placed on /var/lib/rcconf/guide, and this Guide File does not exist by default. If you want to use Guide, you need to define guides for each services in this file. If you run update-rcconf-guide before rcconf, rcconf can use default guides derived from package description. Update-rcconf-guide generates the file '/var/lib/rcconf/guide.default' from package description(only uses first line of it) using apt-cache. Rcconf refers Guides in /var/lib/rcconf/guide before /var/lib/rcconf/guide.default. If you install some packages after executed update-rcconf-guide, you need to re-create this file using update-rcconf-guide so as to refresh guide.default that includes new guides for installed new services. Updating /etc/rd?.c/ by the package(KNOWN PROBLEM) Rcconf saves /etc/rc?.d/[SK]NNname conditions into /var/lib/rcconf/services. This file is updated only when there exists /etc/rc?.d/SNNname. It means that the condition is not saved if /etc/rc?.d/SNNname doesn't exist for the package. If the old version of the package creates both /etc/rc?.d/SNNname and /etc/rc?.d/KNNname but the newer(updated) version of the package creates only /etc/rc?.d/KNNname, some stupid condition occurs. That is, rcconf displays this package as OFF state even as the updated package doesn't have /etc/rc?.d/SNNname. That is because rcconf can't detect disappearance of /etc/rc?.d/SNNname and previous /etc/rc?.d/SNNname condition remains in /var/lib/rcconf/services for restore. In that situation, remove the entry(corresponding package line) from /var/lib/rcconf/services. FILE
/var/lib/rcconf/services The service number data file. /var/lib/rcconf/lock Lock file. /var/lib/rcconf/guide.default Guide File update-rcconf-guide generates. /var/lib/rcconf/guide Guide File user(Administrator) can define. SEE ALSO
update-rc.d(8) update-rcconf-guide(8) AUTHOR
Atsushi KAMOSHIDA <kamop@debian.org> perl v5.10.1 2009-11-17 RCCONF(8)