Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search string and return only the 5th line Post 302282735 by doza22 on Sunday 1st of February 2009 06:42:21 PM
Old 02-01-2009
Thank you very much! It works perfectly!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return line below string grepp'ed for

Hi there Does anybody know how to get grep to return the line underneath the string i am grepping for ie, if i have this file hello everybody how are you and i issue #cat file | grep how I would like it to return the line below (in this case the string "are") Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and return value from column

Dear All I had below mention file as my input file. 87980457 Jan 12 2008 2:00AM 1 60 BSC1 81164713 Jan 12 2008 3:00AM 1 60 BSC2 78084521 Jan 12 2008 4:00AM 1 60 BSC3 68385193... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for string and return lines above and below

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: COMPANY ABCD TRUCKER JOE SMITH TRUCK 456 PLATE A12345678 TRUCKER BILL JONES TRUCK 789 PLATE B7894561 I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string '789' in the file. This string is unique and only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: doza22
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for string and return substring

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string 'ENDC' in the file. This string is unique and only occurs in one record. Once it finds the string, I would like it to return positions 101-109 ( this is the date of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for string and return binary result?

Hi, I have a problem that I am sure someone will know the answer to. Currently I have a script which returns a binary output if it finds a certain search string (in this case relating to a DRBD cluster) as follows: searchstring="cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate" && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: almightybunghol
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in search for word and return line

Hi, I have this file format and can't seem to think of a solution. I need your help. I want to return lines which says "Record" if it's ID > 0 file.txt Record 1: :::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::: ID "000001" :::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies
SOCKET_WRITE(3) 							 1							   SOCKET_WRITE(3)

socket_write - Write to a socket

SYNOPSIS
int socket_write (resource $socket, string $buffer, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
The function socket_write(3) writes to the $socket from the given $buffer. PARAMETERS
o $socket - o $buffer - The buffer to be written. o $length - The optional parameter $length can specify an alternate length of bytes written to the socket. If this length is greater than the buffer length, it is silently truncated to the length of the buffer. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of bytes successfully written to the socket or FALSE on failure. The error code can be retrieved with socket_last_error(3). This code may be passed to socket_strerror(3) to get a textual explanation of the error. Note It is perfectly valid for socket_write(3) to return zero which means no bytes have been written. Be sure to use the === operator to check for FALSE in case of an error. NOTES
Note socket_write(3) does not necessarily write all bytes from the given buffer. It's valid that, depending on the network buffers etc., only a certain amount of data, even one byte, is written though your buffer is greater. You have to watch out so you don't uninten- tionally forget to transmit the rest of your data. SEE ALSO
socket_accept(3), socket_bind(3), socket_connect(3), socket_listen(3), socket_read(3), socket_strerror(3). PHP Documentation Group SOCKET_WRITE(3)