Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Display month for Previous day Post 302282699 by danmero on Sunday 1st of February 2009 11:40:02 AM
Old 02-01-2009
On FreeBSD :
Code:
# date
Sun Feb  1 11:32:11 EST 2009
# date +%B
February
# date -v -1d
Sat Jan 31 11:32:28 EST 2009
# date -v -1d +%B
January

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the first day of previous month in unix?

How to find the first day of previous month in unix mmddyyyy format? example : today is 07052007 (in mmddyyyy) output sud be 06012007 thanks mohapatra (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohapatra
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

last working day of previous month

Hi, I want a script(ksh) to see if today is the last working day(Mon-Fri) of the month. If it is the last working day I need to print current date, else I need the last working day of previous month. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rspk_praveen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

needs to display month for previous day date

Hello, I wanted to display the month for previous day date. Like, today date is 18-Nov-2008. So the previous date is 17-Nov-2008. The output should be November. If the today date is 1-DEC-2008, then output should be NOVEMBER. If the today date is 1-JAN-2008, then output should be DECEMBER.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find previous month last day minus one day timestamp

Hi All, I need to find the previous month last day minus one day, using shell script. Can you guys help me to do this. My Requirment is as below: Input for me will be 2000909(YYYYMM) I need the previous months last day minus 1 day timestamp. That is i need 2000908 months last day minus ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code creates day 32 instead of 1st day of next month.

I am using the code below modified from a post I saw here regarding having the script write out future dates. The problem is that instead of making 8/1 it makes 7/32! Please help! yy=`date +%Y` mm=`date +%m` dd=`date +%d` echo "Today is : $yy $mm $dd" #!/usr/bin/ksh date '+%m... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to counting a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month etc

Hello All, I am trying to come up with a shell script to count a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month and the month before. I need to produce this report and email it to customer. Any ideas would be appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnara2
5 Replies

9. Programming

How to get First and Last day of previous month from trunc(sysdate)

Hi Guys, How to get First day of previous month and last day of previous month from trunc(sysdate) using SQL..? Thanks in advance. Br, pinpe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move the files between Current day & a previous day

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to first capture the current day & move all the files from a particular directory based on a previous day. i.e move all the files from one directory to another based on current day & a previous day. Here is what I am trying, but it gives me errors.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies
getdate(3C)															       getdate(3C)

NAME
getdate() - convert user format date and time SYNOPSIS
Obsolescent Interface DESCRIPTION
The function converts user definable date and/or time specifications pointed to by string into a The structure declaration is in the header file (see ctime(3C)). User-supplied templates are used to parse and interpret the input string. The templates are text files created by the user and identified via the environment variable should be set to indicate the full path name of the template file. The first line in the template that matches the input specification is used for interpretation and conversion into the internal time format. Upon successful completion, returns a pointer to a otherwise, it returns NULL and the symbol is set to indicate the error. The following field descriptors are supported: same as abbreviated weekday name full weekday name abbreviated month name full month name locale's appropriate date and time representation century number (00 through 99; leading zeros are permitted but not required) day of the month (01 through 31; the leading 0 is optional) same as date as abbreviated month name hour (00 through 23) hour (01 through 12) month number (01 through 12) minute (00 through 59) same as locale's equivalent of either AM or PM time as time as seconds (00 through 61) insert a tab time as weekday number (Sunday = 0 through Saturday = 6) locale's appropriate date representation locale's appropriate time representation year without century (00 through 99). For inputs 69-99, the 20th century(1900s) is assumed, and for inputs 00-68, the 21st century(2000s) is assumed. year as ccyy (e.g., 1986) time zone name or no characters if no time zone exists. If the time zone supplied by is not the same as the time zone expects, an invalid specification error is returned. calcu- lates the expected time zone from the environment variable. Month and weekday names may consist of any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters. The user can request that the input date or time specification be in a specific language by setting the category (see setlocale(3C)). For descriptors that allow leading zeros, leading zeros are optional. However, the number of digits used for those descriptors must not exceed two, including leading zeros. Extra whitespace in either the template file or in string is ignored. The field descriptors and are not supported if they include unsupported field descriptors. The following example shows the possible contents of a template: The following are examples of valid input specifications for the above template: If the category is set to a German locale that includes as a weekday name and as a month name, the following would be valid: This example shows how local date and time specification can be defined in the template: +---------------------------+------------------+ | Invocation | Line in Template | +---------------------------+------------------+ |getdate("11/27/86") | %m/%d/%y | |getdate("27.11.86") | %d.%m.%y | |getdate("86-11-27") | %y-%m-%d | |getdate("Friday 12:00:00") | %A %H:%M:%S | +---------------------------+------------------+ The following rules apply when converting the input specification into the internal format: o If only the weekday is given, today is assumed if the given day is equal to the current day, and next week if it is less. o If only the month is given, the current month is assumed if the given month is equal to the current month, and next year if it is less and no year is given (the first day of the month is assumed if no day is given). o If no hour, minute and second are given, the current hour, minute and second are assumed. o If no date is given, today is assumed if the given hour is greater than the current hour and tomorrow is assumed if it is less. The following examples help to illustrate the above rules assuming that the current date is and the category is set to the default locale. +-------------+----------+------------------------------+ | | Line in | | | Input | Template | Date | +-------------+----------+------------------------------+ |Mon | %a | Mon Sep 22 12:19:47 EDT 1986 | |Sun | %a | Sun Sep 28 12:19:47 EDT 1986 | |Fri | %a | Fri Sep 26 12:19:47 EDT 1986 | |September | %B | Mon Sep 1 12:19:47 EDT 1986 | |January | %B | Thu Jan 1 12:19:47 EST 1987 | |December | %B | Mon Dec 1 12:19:47 EST 1986 | |Sep Mon | %b %a | Mon Sep 1 12:19:47 EDT 1986 | |Jan Fri | %b %a | Fri Jan 2 12:19:47 EST 1987 | |Dec Mon | %b %a | Mon Dec 1 12:19:47 EST 1986 | |Jan Wed 1989 | %b %a %Y | Wed Jan 4 12:19:47 EST 1989 | |Fri 9 | %a %H | Fri Sep 26 09:00:00 EDT 1986 | |Feb 10:30 | %b %H:%S | Sun Feb 1 10:30:00 EST 1987 | |10:30 | %H:%M | Tue Sep 23 10:30:00 EDT 1986 | |13:30 | %H:%M | Mon Sep 22 13:30:00 EDT 1986 | +-------------+----------+------------------------------+ Obsolescent Interface converts user format date and time. Also see the section. ERRORS
Upon failure, returns NULL and the symbol is set to indicate the error. The following is a complete list of the settings and their interpretation: the environment variable is null or undefined, the template file cannot be opened for reading, failed to get file status information, the template file is not a regular file, an error is encountered while reading the template file, memory allocation failed (not enough memory available), there is no line in the template that matches the input, invalid input specification. For example, February 31; or the time specified cannot be represented in the data type in 32-bit HP-UX (which represents Tuesday January 19 03:14:07 UTC, 2038) or exceeds the maximum date supported in 64-bit HP-UX (which is Friday December 31 23:59:59 UTC, 9999). WARNINGS
The return value for points to data whose content is overwritten by each call by the same thread. is an obsolescent interface supported only for compatibility with existing DCE applications. New multi-threaded applications should use SEE ALSO
ctime(3C), ctype(3C), setlocale(3C), strftime(3C), thread_safety(5). getdate(3C)