Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change makefile environment variables Post 302282468 by Kwstas on Saturday 31st of January 2009 09:57:47 AM
Old 01-31-2009
change makefile environment variables

this is my first post so Hello,
here is my question

@top level Makefile should not set values for
environment variables FC, CC, FFLAGS (etc) but
use the ones that mpi_make sets.

So as you can see i have to run an mpi program, in fortran and i am supposed to do the above.the program was created some years ago with different compiler and system and i have to adapt it to my system so for a beggining could someone give me an introductory (very introductory), pdf html or something, file that describes the makefile.so far the only thing i changed was the compiler in the makefile.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environment variables

Hi Folks, Is it possible somehow to unset all the environment variables which have been defined before in UNIX (Solaris). Thanks, Slava (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spavlov
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help..Environment variables...

hi, 1). i would like to know what is meant by environment variables? 2). is the number of envi variables is a constant number for unix systems? 3). how to see the list of envi variables (and the values of the envi variables)in a single command? 4). if this questions were already asked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
3 Replies

3. Programming

environment variables

hi, I want to create a new EV(Environment Variable) through a c program and I done this thing through setenv() method. But the newly created EV is not permanent, i.e. when I exit from the program the EV also no longer lives. But I want to make it a permanent EV for the current user. Actually I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables in Makefile

I've seen a few other threads like this, but they either went unanswered or failed to answer my question. How do I set an environment variable in a Makefile? What I'm trying to do is use GNU make to automate an ant build. In order to run ant, I've got to first set a few environment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bags
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using environment variables

say i define an environment variable in a particular script (upgrade.sh). my script is upgarde.sh and it calls another script try.sh. will this environment variable be accessible to try.sh also. if not how to I make environment variables global so that they can be used by any script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to change environment variables in bash script

Hello! For the moment some settings in my .bashrc contain the password of my company's firewall, which is not a good idea. I would like to use the string "PASSWORD" set in .bashrc and a script that changes all appearances of "PASSWORD" in the environment variables by the actual password (which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markolopa
4 Replies

7. Programming

Makefile includes and shell environment during compile

Below is the top of my Makefile. On one machine, I have mysql_config5, and another, I have mysql_config. In my .bashrc file of one UNIX machine, I added an alias so that that mysql_config5 is mysql_config, however, when I do make, it doesn't use that environment and I get compile errors, unless I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pyramation
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment variables

I have read tons of posts about how you can't set persisting environment variable in a child script of a shell and have it persist. The only way is to source a file as % . <scriptname> I am finding that true... but I know there is a way around it. I just don't know how. I worked for 6... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwa25
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi Experts, Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux. Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export. I am confused between above three options, when to use which option? On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi All, I need to understand following three environment variables and their usages in HP Unix. _M_ARENA_OPTS _M_CACHE_OPTS PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM How does these environment variables influence multi threaded applciation and how do we decide the value of these variables? Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
0 Replies
gccmakedep(1)						      General Commands Manual						     gccmakedep(1)

NAME
gccmakedep - create dependencies in makefiles using 'gcc -M' SYNOPSIS
gccmakedep [ -sseparator ] [ -fmakefile ] [ -a ] [ -- options -- ] sourcefile ... DESCRIPTION
The gccmakedep program calls 'gcc -M' to output makefile rules describing the dependencies of each sourcefile, so that make(1) knows which object files must be recompiled when a dependency has changed. By default, gccmakedep places its output in the file named makefile if it exists, otherwise Makefile. An alternate makefile may be speci- fied with the -f option. It first searches the makefile for a line beginning with # DO NOT DELETE or one provided with the -s option, as a delimiter for the dependency output. If it finds it, it will delete everything following this up to the end of the makefile and put the output after this line. If it doesn't find it, the program will append the string to the makefile and place the output after that. EXAMPLE
Normally, gccmakedep will be used in a makefile target so that typing 'make depend' will bring the dependencies up to date for the make- file. For example, SRCS = file1.c file2.c ... CFLAGS = -O -DHACK -I../foobar -xyz depend: gccmakedep -- $(CFLAGS) -- $(SRCS) OPTIONS
The program will ignore any option that it does not understand, so you may use the same arguments that you would for gcc(1), including -D and -U options to define and undefine symbols and -I to set the include path. -a Append the dependencies to the file instead of replacing existing dependencies. -fmakefile Filename. This allows you to specify an alternate makefile in which gccmakedep can place its output. Specifying "-" as the file name (that is, -f-) sends the output to standard output instead of modifying an existing file. -sstring Starting string delimiter. This option permits you to specify a different string for gccmakedep to look for in the makefile. The default is "# DO NOT DELETE". -- options -- If gccmakedep encounters a double hyphen (--) in the argument list, then any unrecognized arguments following it will be silently ignored. A second double hyphen terminates this special treatment. In this way, gccmakedep can be made to safely ignore esoteric compiler arguments that might normally be found in a CFLAGS make macro (see the EXAMPLE section above). -D, -I, and -U options appearing between the pair of double hyphens are still processed normally. SEE ALSO
gcc(1), make(1), makedepend(1). AUTHOR
gccmakedep was written by the XFree86 Project based on code supplied by Hongjiu Lu. Colin Watson wrote this manual page, originally for the Debian Project, based partly on the manual page for makedepend(1). XFree86 Version 4.7.0 gccmakedep(1)