Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help with file permissions and file ownerships Post 302282461 by pludi on Saturday 31st of January 2009 08:52:28 AM
Old 01-31-2009
No. In UNIX you can set for each file the owner, the group and the permissions. You can't set per-user or per-group permissions using default tools.
What you'll probably want is this:
Code:
# chmod 0744 file
# chown user2:group2 file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permissions: l

Hello, what does the l file permission stands for and in which UNIX systems can it be used? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tobe
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

help with file permissions

Every time I copy files to a directory I am unable to edit the files. Why? The user is part of the group that has permissions to edit. The user can create and delete files but cannot edit files that are copied to the directory? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permissions

Hi all, My UNIX box is HP UX - 11.11. I have got a basic doubt. What are the global permissions for a file and directory? I set the mask as 111 in my .profile. When I create a new file, it gets created withe -rw-rw-rw- permissions. A directory is created with drw-rw-rw- permissions. So, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Permissions

Hi All, Could any one help me on is there any file where all file permissions are being stored? Please help me. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.rout
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

We need to change the file permissions and ownerships?

I am running a linux centos server; our php script generates plenty of files in a directory, anything up to 1000 (though too often more).The files in these directories have permissions and ownerships which i need to change. I have used shell comment for changing the file permission which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nilson
1 Replies

8. Solaris

file permissions

There is the following file in my filesystem (VXFS) shown by "ls -l" command: ---s--l--- 1 user group 0 Mar 26 16:13 file.tmp What does "l" bit mean in these permissions? This is SunOS 5.10: $ uname -a SunOS hostname 5.10 Generic_144488-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkshine
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)