Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Find file Script.....
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Find file Script..... Post 302282357 by elbombillo on Friday 30th of January 2009 04:46:41 PM
Old 01-30-2009
Simple Find file Script.....

Im trying to make a very simple find the first file with the .zip extension in a specific folder and open that file.

The folder path and file name will vary every-time and it may contain spaces. If I try to look

For this example the folder directory is /Users/username/Desktop/testfolder/abc def/ and the file is firstfile.zip.

If I manually enter the file destination it does

Code:
file=`find ~/Desktop/testfolder/abc\ def -name '*.zip' | head -1`
echo $file

It finds the file.
/Users/user/Desktop/testfolder/abc def/firstfile.zip

but if I try to use a Variable for the path it fails.
Code:
downdir='~/Desktop/testfolder/abc\ def'
file=`find "$downdir" -name '*.zip' | head -1`
echo $file

It gives me an error
find: ~/Desktop/testfolder/abc\ def: No such file or directory

I tried to use single quotas and double quotas and no quotas but can't get this to go. Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is a simple one command to find a file?

Hi All, I have did a search in the whole forum about Find, but get too many results, so I hope my message not annoying anyone. How do I do a find for a specific file in the whole machine? I am hoping for something like this. find . -name thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: E-Quality
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script to find the number of "tab"s...but,...

------------------------------ $x=" hi"; $tabspace=0; while ($x =~ /\t/g ) { $tabspace++; } print $tabspace; --------------------------------- 1.)when i tried it without "g" ($x = ~/\t/ )... when i run the script it utilizes around 95% cpu and system hangs and i did "End process"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to look for data in a file (not that simple) ...

I'm looking for a script or program that would allow me to pass a pattern to it and give me locations on where text appears in a file. I wish it was that straight forward (I would use egrep or something) Say I have the word in my text file "SUDAN" but my user does a search for "SUDANESE". Grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple file checking script

Hi, I have a really, what I hope is, simple question. I'm looking for a simple way to see whether a file exists or not and then perform an action based on whether it exists or not. An example of what I tried is as follows: if then { echo "File mysql exists" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: _Spare_Ribs_
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script detect to find OS version/flavour

Hi, A newbie question. Following script gives no output. =============================== root@srv # cat /etc/redhat-release | awk {'print $1}' Red root@srv # cat 123.sh if (( `cat /etc/redhat-release | awk {'print $1}'` != CentOS )); then { echo "System runs on Redhat Linux. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple shell script to find and print data

Hi, I have a log file containing data on emails sent. Looks a bit like this for one email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Date: 12 Jun 2008 14:04:59 +0100 From: from@email.com Subject: xcf4564xzcv To: recip@email.co.uk Size = 364 Jun 12 14:04 smtp_234sldfh.tmp I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terry2009
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to find common strings in two files

Hi , I want to write a simple script. I have two files file1: BCSpeciality Backend CB CBAPQualDisp CBCimsVFTRCK CBDSNQualDisp CBDefault CBDisney CBFaxMCGen CBMCGeneral CBMCQualDisp file2: CSpeciality Backend (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with simple script to find PID of process

Hi everyone. I've been reading around and am a little bit overwhelmed, hoping to find a kind soul out there to hold my hand through writing my first script. This need has emerged at work and I haven't much experience writing shell scripts, but this is a problem we have with a production environment... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: thirdcoaster
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP simple script to find e-mail address on a file

Hello guys, im new to to unix/linux i have a text file like this: person1@test.com iisiiasasas person2@test.com 123w2 3233 sajsja person3@test.com jsajjsa sajsjasaj person4@test.com I want to extract only e-mail address and get rid of all other stuff, i want an output like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RazorMX
4 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)