Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with IP and MAC addresses Post 302282353 by manmeet on Friday 30th of January 2009 04:41:06 PM
Old 01-30-2009
Need help with IP and MAC addresses

Hi,
i am working on a project where i have to write a script to find out MAC addresses of the systems with given IP address.
Can anybody tell me which command i can use to find MAC address if you know IP address of the machine.
Thanks

Last edited by manmeet; 01-30-2009 at 05:49 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac addresses of NICs (why are they the same)

I am training to be support on our solaris based network and was wondering why solaris seems to assign the same mac address to all NICs placed in the machine regardless of how many NICs are in there, when i do a ifconfig -a all nics have same MAC. Presumably this is a feature and there is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help extracting MAC addresses from List

Hello all. I have a large number of text files outputted from various Netstumbler Wireless Scans; from which I need to extract the MAC addresses of the various Access Points. The Text files look like this: # $Creator: Network Stumbler Version 0.4.0 # $Format: wi-scan summary with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhs23
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between Mac and IP addresses

If a web search is done on this topic there are many links but no information included in the documents. So my questions are; Why does a NIC card have it's own permanent ID. Why can't it share the host name? An ID is an ID. Why does a computer need two ways to ID it. If the network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't see my mac addresses of my devices

I have a problem with a script , i want to see my devices there are up in my network. I want as output the ip addresses of the devices and also the mac address but I only had the ip addresses #!/bin/bash while ] do -mac) Extension=5 shift mac=$1 shift ;; esac... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roggy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script getting IP's and MAC addresses

Hy over there, Lets make it simple :) Using a bash script, how to grep only the ip address and the mac address and put them in a file:. for example from the dhcp.conf file we got such things: The script will end up with two columns IP's and MAC adresses as it is showed below: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hermouche
9 Replies
condor_power(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   condor_power(1)

Name
       condor_power send - packet intended to wake a machine from a low power state

Synopsis
       condor_power [-h]

condor_power[-d] [-m MACaddress] [-s subnet] [ClassAdFile]

Description
       condor_powersends  one UDP Wake on LAN (WOL) packet to a machine specified either by command line arguments or by the contents of a machine
       ClassAd. The machine ClassAd may be in a file, where the file name specified by the optional argument ClassAdFileis given  on  the  command
       line. With no command line arguments to specify the machine, and no file specified, condor_powerquietly presumes that standard input is the
       file source which will specify the machine ClassAd that includes the public IP address and subnet of the machine.

condor_powerneeds a complete specification of the machine to be successful. If a MAC address is provided on the command line, but no subnet
       is  given,  then  the  default value for the subnet is used. If a subnet is provided on the command line, but no MAC address is given, then
       condor_powerfalls back to taking its information in the form of the machine ClassAd as provided in a file or on standard input.	Note  that
       this case implies that the command line specification of the subnet is ignored.

Options
       -h

Print usage information and exit.

-d

Enable debugging messages.

-m MACaddress

Specify the MAC address in the standard format of six groups of two hexadecimal digits separated by colons.

-s subnet

Specify  the subnet in the standard form of an IP address. Without this option, the default subnet used will be 255.255.255.255, causing
	  a broadcast.

Exit Status
       condor_powerwill exit with a status value of 0 (zero) upon success, and it will exit with the value 1 (one) upon failure.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright (C) 1990-2012 Condor Team, Computer Sciences Department, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  Madison,  WI.  All  Rights  Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						   condor_power(1)